Several things I have learned today...

Bang, not boom. Lee does suck. Sorry, they do.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

Even Lee Loader rounds made with nothing more than a scoop and a mallet, work perfectly. They're not precision ammo, but they're as consistent as you can make them by striking off the scoop with a business card.

I have no problems with Lee equipment. I've used Lee Loaders, and a Lee Century Kit. Dillon 650 fans surely have an advantage when it comes to volume, but the casual reloader taking good care can produce ammo of the same quality as the biggest press snob.

I've been using Lee presses for a several years now. Yes, they aggravate the living hell out of me most of the time and I swear at least once a reloading session "that's it, I'm buying a Dillon", but in the end, all of the rounds go bang and hit the target right where I'm trying to hit. I guess I got a love-hate thing going on with them.

I've been using Lee presses for a several years now. Yes, they aggravate the living hell out of me most of the time and I swear at least once a reloading session "that's it, I'm buying a Dillon", but in the end, all of the rounds go bang and hit the target right where I'm trying to hit. I guess I got a love-hate thing going on with them.
I suspect I'll have this relationship for a while, as I save my pennies for a dillon later.

A single stage kit would be a good investment and allows you to make quality ammo and when you get a good progressive setup the single can be used for sizing/de-capping to save the wear and tear on the big boy.

Boom vs. bang was only a J/K moment and smilies on the handheld are a PITA.

Glad things work for you. Definitely a confidence builder but stick to the same routine and pay close attention to how things "feel" when it's going well.

A single stage kit would be a good investment and allows you to make quality ammo and when you get a good progressive setup the single can be used for sizing/de-capping to save the wear and tear on the big boy.

Boom vs. bang was only a J/K moment and smilies on the handheld are a PITA.

Glad things work for you. Definitely a confidence builder but stick to the same routine and pay close attention to how things "feel" when it's going well.
Thanks!

I think the Dillon 550 B is the best press for the money. Lee is a funny operation, I love the dies, but hate the presses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee is good. Dillon is very expensive, and you need a lot of stuff if you load more than one caliber. Also, beware to those who are not handy (me), I shoot with a lot of guys like myself who have Dillons, and you hear a lot of "bang-bang-bang-Ker Boom!". Like I say, unhandy folks seem to get a lot of unintentional powder drops. Once saw a First Generation SSA depart this world, with a double load of Bullseye dropped by a Dillon.

Lee is good. Dillon is very expensive, and you need a lot of stuff if you load more than one caliber. Also, beware to those who are not handy (me), I shoot with a lot of guys like myself who have Dillons, and you hear a lot of "bang-bang-bang-Ker Boom!". Like I say, unhandy folks seem to get a lot of unintentional powder drops. Once saw a First Generation SSA depart this world, with a double load of Bullseye dropped by a Dillon.

I suppose its possible, but unlikely if you actually pay attention to what you are doing. . With most of the powders I use for 9mm and .45 ACP at least, if I double drop the powder would be spilling all over the press anyways. I realize with big wheelgun cartridges the risk is greater... but even then.... paying attention will prevent the obvious problems.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom