• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Setup for AR scope?

I recently bought an AR flattop. Thought I'd put a scope on it when I discovered a. that the rails are different frem my Weaver, and b. that I'll be looking directly at the dark shadow of my front sight if I do mount the scope. So, what's the deal? How are people mounting scopes on AR's? I see little blocks on the Bushmaster site that will adapt my weaver to the Picitini (sp?) rails, but what about that monster front sight in the way? Anyone else worked this out?
Thanks

Most don't put magnifying optics on a flat-top but use something like an EOTech red dot sight. Or if they do put magnifying optics they mount it high, on the handle or above the height of the fixed sights. The front and rears don't interfere as much then. Better yet, and what I have, is a DPMS front gas block with a picatinny rail on the top, on which you then mount either flip up front sights or at least removable ones. Then they are out of the EOTech's (or whatever red dot sight you like) sight picture without trading off scope height. You can use flip ups as a back up to a scope if reliability is important.
Fret not though, a conversion kit from pic to weaver rails may provide the needed height boost to ensure the fixed sights are sufficiently out of the way of the scope center. You lose a little as the further you get away from the barrel with the scope, the faster the accuracy (not grouping accuracy, but accuracy of the scope) drops off as you move away from the yardage you zero'd the scope at.

mines x4, and is not clear from the front sight post, however the post is so small when i look through the lens it has no effect on performance.

A lot has to do with the glass you put on your flattop. I had a Swift 3-18x44 on my Colt National Match. I had it mounted in Weaver medium rings and despite the front sight post being directly inline with the bell, you absolutely could not see the front sight post whatsoever - it was crystal clear - especially at higher magnification.

Most don't put magnifying optics on a flat-top but use something like an EOTech red dot sight.

I don't believe this generalization to be true,. There are tons of non-carbine length flat top rifles out there, many of them equipped for precision shooting and varminting. Most of them have traditional scopes. Then you have the ACOG equipped rifles as well.

Depending on the magnification of your scope, the front site mount should be a black blur on the smaller powers and something that you shouldn't notice on a higher setting. If you put a scope on and use it for awhile and the sight tower still bothers you, swap it out for a railed gas block. That gets rid of the tower and allows you to use you own front sight that works for your purposes.

By the way, using conversion mounts might add height to the scope that makes getting a stock weld not so good. Get a set of mounts that will interface with the Picatinny correctly.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom