• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Set off store alarms today

CCW'd to Merrimack Premium Outlets today to do some shopping and when I entered & exited a few stores (Reebok, Puma, Columbia) I triggered the in-store alarm (the metal detector must have picked up my steel)...never had this happen before; pretty much ignored it and kept a straight face but turned a few heads (especially upon entering)

it may not be a metal detector but the gun may have been enough steel to disturb the electromagnetic field that is between the two posts and set off the alarm.

those things aren't set off by metal there set off by the rf tag on the product that is programmed to that specific entrance. you can have one on you from old navy and walk into the gap and not set it off. metal on you has no bearing

those things aren't set off by metal there set off by the rf tag on the product that is programmed to that specific entrance. you can have one on you from old navy and walk into the gap and not set it off. metal on you has no bearing

Some are, but usually it is a magnetic strip stuck inside or two the box. This is why they swipe a dvd a few times over the register, it deactivates the magnetic field.

I set off every store alarm until a guy at an Army/Navy store with a handheld wand and some time to kill found the hidden RFID anti-theft tag, in my three-month old wallet.
Really, the tag was so small that I didn't find it with a quick run-thru.

I managed to acquire some of those tags once. The rolled up hood stored in the collar was the best place to put them, but any out of the way place that isn't obvious is great.

Had a lot of fun with co-workers with those.

I set off every store alarm until a guy at an Army/Navy store with a handheld wand and some time to kill found the hidden RFID anti-theft tag, in my three-month old wallet.
Really, the tag was so small that I didn't find it with a quick run-thru.

My stepson went for about a year setting off alarms without being able to figure out why. I finally found a tag tucked in (and stuck to) the inside of an inner pocket of his wallet.

I managed to acquire some of those tags once. The rolled up hood stored in the collar was the best place to put them, but any out of the way place that isn't obvious is great.

Had a lot of fun with co-workers with those.

The white rectangle sticker kind? How do yoi reactivate them once the cashier deactivates them?

I bet nearly anything it's NOT your gun but either an article of clothing, shoes, or wallet that still has an activated tag in it.

-Mike

Just remember some key phrases:

- I do not consent to a search of my person or property.

- No, that is no longer "merchandise" but my own property since I just paid for it.

- I do not consent to remaining here on a voluntary basis. Are you detaining me against my will?

Last edited:
Was the Jacket "Members only " or a blue "Barracuda" either would do it.
It was the 70's calling they want their stuff back. [rofl]

A few years ago, my employer used rfid tags on high dollar assets like computers. We used to peel them off and stick them in each others jackets.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Gotta insert ..
"That punk pulled a Glock 7 on me, you know what that is? It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on your airport metal detectors and probably costs more than what you make in a month."

I walked into a BJ's yesterday, right behind a woman pushing a baby stroller, and she set off the alarm.
I wonder what the kid was carrying ???

Just remember they cannot detain you, search you, or look at said merchandise.

They must see you take something off the shelf and follow you by foot or camera from beginning of taken merchandise off shelf to leaving the store.

Worked loss prevention for a while

Back
Top Bottom