Serpa holsters

did you try it with people shooting at you?
No, I don't make a habit of that.

But I found myself laying the trigger finger almost flat into the release, not using a "booger hook" approach to it.

I will agree that it isn't the best (safety wise) design they could have come up with, I just didn't find it unsafe. It also is a holster that I would never wear to "ccw", too bulky. If I were wearing a OWB, it would be a pancake design and I have a few of those that are very good. I equate the Serpa and most bulky OWB holsters as only suitable for range

I'm more than a little confused by this thread. I carried a 229 in a Serpa Level 2 on a plate carrier for years and never shot myself or had any sort of ND. The release button is not directly over the trigger, but above it, where your finger should be when drawing a weapon anyway... it doesn't take much pressure you just lay your finger along the bore axis while you draw, as normal, and it releases. I can't see being any more likely to have an ND with one than without one.

Practice, practice and then more repetitive practice. That's how it always is in the gun community. If one practices drawing from these holsters thousands of times so they can do it in their sleep, I don't see a problem. Is the design sketchy, sure is, but I've seen people use these for years with no problems

The problem with the Serpa is a training issue, that being said it an accident waiting to happen. The proper way to release the serpa mechanism is to drag the trigger finger against the release button, this action release the internal retention device and as the gun clears the holster the trigger finger will lay against the weapons frame. The issue is for most people, all their life they have been conditioned to "Push" Buttons with the tip of the finger. Under stress if this is done with enough force ,it will release the serpas retention mechanism and the trigger finger will plunge into the trigger guard as the gun is withdrawn . YMMV

I'm more than a little confused by this thread. I carried a 229 in a Serpa Level 2 on a plate carrier for years and never shot myself or had any sort of ND. The release button is not directly over the trigger, but above it, where your finger should be when drawing a weapon anyway... it doesn't take much pressure you just lay your finger along the bore axis while you draw, as normal, and it releases. I can't see being any more likely to have an ND with one than without one.
How many times did you try to draw as fast as possible under stress?

It isn’t a problem when drawing slowly and deliberately. It can be a problem under stress.

To say there is no advantage to the SERPA design is untrue.
When it comes to triple retention duty holsters many find it faster and more intuitive than the safriland design.

The SERPA might work out just fine for you. Some like it and use it successfully. Try one out just like any other holster, with a draw and fire drill, at a very uncrowded shooting range. Carefully and slowly. With an empty gun. Remember the basics. As you speed up, if you find your finger contacting the trigger even once before you've intended for it to do so, you've got your answer. Retention is a major issue for me too, but I've chosen other options. Bear in mind that the SERPA is not a holster welcomed at all events. Haven"t even touched on considering it for actual defensive use. That's a different matter involving other issues. Good luck.

I have owned a Serpa holster for a 1911 since before there were public concerns about them. Now that the concerns have become widespread, I have carefully observed my own use of this holster, and I have also watched other people use them. I think that the key factor is the size of hand and length of fingers relative to the specific holster.

When I use my Serpa holster, my finger is never curved, and as the draw continues, my finger ends up extended along the side of the frame, just where it should be. So for my hand, the Serpa holster is conducive to a safe draw where my finger never comes close to entering the trigger guard. However, I have watched other people use a Serpa holster where they need to curve their finger to release the latch, and their finger ends up in a position where it could potentially move towards the trigger.

So overall, I believe that some people can use some Serpa holsters safely, since the latch lines up very well for their hands. I also think that the overall design is poor, since it does put some people's fingers in a bad position. For people whose hand shape does not line up well with these holsters, I think there is a real equipment problem. So better equipment, not just training, is the correct solution.

When I talk to newer shooters about holsters, I tell them not to consider Serpa holsters. There is no reason for someone who is not already used to them to try them out. The market is full of better solutions. For people who already own one, I tell them to carefully and critically observe their hand position. For some of them, the Serpa holsters may be acceptable for some purposes.

So far this thread has most points covered for serpa that I read over the years, to each his own.
I only read of one case someone had a rock jam in there and make it impossible to remove the gun.
I assume this could happen to other holsters with some locking mechanism that could hold a rock and lockup.

I had one and used it for a while.even though some people warned me against it. I ditched it the first time the button jammed due to debris. Couldn't get the pistol out at all. Required my knife to get the twig out and make operational.

I use Bladetech for paddle holsters exclusively now. I'd never use anything with a button again.

Back
Top Bottom