• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seriously considering a M1A Scout Squad..... Thoughts?

As the title states I'm seriously considering ordering a M1A Scout Squad ( in walnut ). I love shooting my garand, and I already reload .308 for my remington 700. So it seems like a good fit for me.

Yes, I know a AR 10 will be more accurate out of the box. And a Sig 716 was also something I was considering.... But, I am partial to walnut and I'm a "c&r guy" so weapons that have liniage with military weapons are always more interesting.

So talk me out of this. The end goal is 1 a fun shooter 2 doubles as a shtf gun 3 slowly upgraded for accuracy upgrades

Any 1st had experience with this model?

Well, if you like walnut, you already reload .308, and you prefer the history aspect, you've already told yourself what kind of .308 semi auto you want.

Only problems I see are the price tag and the weight. If you want to haul around a 9 to 10lb rifle (before adding a scope, scope mount, extended mags, etc.) and you're ok with shelling out $2000 or so after sales tax, then go ahead!

Well, if you like walnut, you already reload .308, and you prefer the history aspect, you've already told yourself what kind of .308 semi auto you want.

Only problems I see are the price tag and the weight. If you want to haul around a 9 to 10lb rifle (before adding a scope, scope mount, extended mags, etc.) and you're ok with shelling out $2000 or so after sales tax, then go ahead!

Sig 716 is $2k
M1A Scout Squad walnut is $1600

Yes, the optics ( or lack there of ) is a concern, although I'm not a huge optics person so I may not do one either way

I really like the looks of the scout squad but i'm partial to the od green synthetic stock myself. Havent had a chance to shoot one but it is on my list and I already have a sweet ar-10

I have one and very much like it.

Some thoughts -

A. The handiness of the shorter barrel is very noticeable - with a nice slim synthetic stock. The factory stock is beautiful, but it's target-rifle chunky, and between that and (if you add them) any heavy conventional optics... I think you lose the very thing that makes a scout/squad sing. I occasionally miss the extra barrel on mine as it is - and if you're going to add optics, I'd consider just reconciling that it will never have that "carbine" feel no matter what and just go all out with the standard length barrel. (I've not got both to compare at the moment, but my memory is that weight distribution on a scoped M1A is a little better with the standard barrel anyhow).

This is also true if part of the appeal is the military lineage. The s/s is a beautiful thing for what it is - but it's never going to look quite right next to your M1, if that matters.

B. Recoil on the M1A platform is less than you might expect. I once had the chance in Alaska to try my (walnut stocked) scout/squad side by side with a neighbor's AR10 carbine. I would have thought that his would be easier on the shoulder - about comparable weight, lower bore axis, etc - and yet it was anything but. His AR10 was probably better engineered, may have been a better weapon - but the M1A was I think the better rifle, if that makes sense.

Regardless - definitely worth the pennies. :)

I can't say I have a Scout, but I did end up with a Socom 16 and absolutely love it. Like u, I already have an AR10 and the souped up Rem 700 so the 22" or for that matter 18" scout wasn't necessary from a carbine style. Since I wanted an M1a, it only made sense to me, to get the Socom. I found a good deal on a used one, came with a cheap red dot, I bought it. I have since replaced the red dot with an Aimpoint CompM4. It only made sense since I really wanted this gun for 300 yds or less, you could even say CQ use.. If I want to shoot beyond 300yds, I have my Rem700 or my Armalite AR10.. My Socom came with the synthetic stock, I've since replaced it with a nice wood stock

Attachments

• Socom.jpg
    Socom.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Socom-2.jpg
    Socom-2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Socom-3.jpg
    Socom-3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 57
Walnut, military, good SHTF

Not for nothing if accuracy is not your main concern but you want to spend half the money. Like hardwood and military Mini-14. Want to shot the caliber you are already reloading Mini-30. Probably get it new for $800

mini14.jpg

Mini 30 is 7.62x39. Not 308.

I have a M1A and a Ruger ranch rifle (mini 14). No comparison. The newer rugers may be better shooters but the older ones are not known for accuracy.

Don't know enough fact to comment but doesn't the really short barrel seriously affect ballistics, especially if you are looking into accuracy later?

Buy it. It's only paper with numbers on it. But do you have enough of this useless paper to feed it ammo?

I have one and very much like it.

Some thoughts -

A. The handiness of the shorter barrel is very noticeable - with a nice slim synthetic stock. The factory stock is beautiful, but it's target-rifle chunky, and between that and (if you add them) any heavy conventional optics... I think you lose the very thing that makes a scout/squad sing. I occasionally miss the extra barrel on mine as it is - and if you're going to add optics, I'd consider just reconciling that it will never have that "carbine" feel no matter what and just go all out with the standard length barrel. (I've not got both to compare at the moment, but my memory is that weight distribution on a scoped M1A is a little better with the standard barrel anyhow).

This is also true if part of the appeal is the military lineage. The s/s is a beautiful thing for what it is - but it's never going to look quite right next to your M1, if that matters.

B. Recoil on the M1A platform is less than you might expect. I once had the chance in Alaska to try my (walnut stocked) scout/squad side by side with a neighbor's AR10 carbine. I would have thought that his would be easier on the shoulder - about comparable weight, lower bore axis, etc - and yet it was anything but. His AR10 was probably better engineered, may have been a better weapon - but the M1A was I think the better rifle, if that makes sense.

Regardless - definitely worth the pennies. :)

A very informative post, thank you and rep inbound!

I can't say I have a Scout, but I did end up with a Socom 16 and absolutely love it. Like u, I already have an AR10 and the souped up Rem 700 so the 22" or for that matter 18" scout wasn't necessary from a carbine style. Since I wanted an M1a, it only made sense to me, to get the Socom. I found a good deal on a used one, came with a cheap red dot, I bought it. I have since replaced the red dot with an Aimpoint CompM4. It only made sense since I really wanted this gun for 300 yds or less, you could even say CQ use.. If I want to shoot beyond 300yds, I have my Rem700 or my Armalite AR10.. My Socom came with the synthetic stock, I've since replaced it with a nice wood stock

I am very unsure about the forward optics..... how is your cheek weld with such a setup? My goal is a fun "battle rifle" in 308. I already have a short carbine in 9mm ( cx4 storm ) to match my other pistol caliber stuff, and I have sworn off 556 for good

Get one, you'll love it, especially where you already reload this caliber! Of course, if money is no object, get a LRB or Fulton.

No, I dont have an extra dump truck of cash at the moment [smile]

Not for nothing if accuracy is not your main concern but you want to spend half the money. Like hardwood and military Mini-14. Want to shot the caliber you are already reloading Mini-30. Probably get it new for $800

View attachment 71838

The big deal for me is that it is in .308 ( which I already reload and have a good stash of ammo ) Also, preban mags are a huge plus ( which the ruger doesnt have easy availability ) and it needs to be in .308 ( did I mention it needs to be in .308 [smile] )

As far as optics go, anyting I do would be mounted on a QD mount as I intend on using the irons at least 50% of the time. What I think would be perfect is a low magnification Leupold VX-R scope ( with the illumination ) but they dont make one with long enough eye relief. Mounting over the action is something I wont do as I intend on using stripper clips as well

Don't know enough fact to comment but doesn't the really short barrel seriously affect ballistics, especially if you are looking into accuracy later?

The 18" is plenty ok for my requirements. The role it would be filling is 100-400 yard battle rifle. my Beretta CX4 9mm carbine is 0-100 yards and my Remington 700 is 400-????yards 20" is supposedly the accuracy "sweet spot" for 308, although if you want to top out on velocity you will go with 22 or 24. I dont want anything that long as it still needs to be "handy" and reasonably quick handling. in the videos Ive watched of this particular model it seems to do a great job with muzzle rise in rapid fire

View attachment 71838
For the $1,600 asking price for a wood-stock M1A, you could purchase a stainless, synthetic-stock (newer model, heavy barrel) Mini-14 along with a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308. There you have it: both U.S./NATO standard small arms calibers in two compact, reliable rifles. Purchase in NH and you will get them cheaper, plus save sales tax. Put the savings towards ammo and a nice new hard-sided case for each. You should still come in at slightly under $1,600. As an added bonus, both of these firearms are FID-legal in MA.

For the $1,600 asking price for a wood-stock M1A, you could purchase a stainless, synthetic-stock (newer model, heavy barrel) Mini-14 along with a Ruger Gunsite Scout rifle in .308. There you have it: both U.S./NATO standard small arms calibers in two compact, reliable rifles. Purchase in NH and you will get them cheaper, plus save sales tax. Put the savings towards ammo and a nice new hard-sided case for each. You should still come in at slightly under $1,600. As an added bonus, both of these firearms are FID-legal in MA.

I already have a bolt gun in 308 that I have built the way I want ( rem 700 with a B&C tactical medalist, Timney trigger, ect ect ) . The mini 14 is nowhere near the same class of firearm as a ar10 or m1a. I say that not to be disrespectful to those that enjoy their mini 14's, but it is just nowhere near the firearm.

I fully understand the cost associated with the M1A or AR10 and in .308 ammo..... I also have been shooting and reloading long enough to know I am completely all set with 5.56/.223. If I go back to reloading anything in small rifle primers it will be for a SBR .300 Blackout AR15

Last edited:
I was jonesing for an M1A scout squad in the worst way for several months, and it's still on my long-term list.

However, prices went FR after Sandy Hook, so instead I put my application into the CMP for an M1 Garand. Even with the current record-long wait times, I got mine in "service grade"a week ago and it's completely worth the wait.

Best $625 (+$25 S&H) you'll ever spend on a rifle. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for a nice solid kick in the shoulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I was jonesing for an M1A scout squad in the worst way for several months, and it's still on my long-term list.

However, prices went FR after Sandy Hook, so instead I put my application into the CMP for an M1 Garand. Even with the current record-long wait times, I got mine in "service grade"a week ago and it's completely worth the wait.

Best $625 (+$25 S&H) you'll ever spend on a rifle. Just something to keep in mind if you're looking for a nice solid kick in the shoulder.

Yes, that was actually a consideration as well. I already have one but its a correct December 45 SA that I try not to beat on. I fully expect a 3-6 month wait for either a m1 or m1a

Edit.
My hesitation on another garand is I know I will baby it.
.. I know they have all been refurbed many times over but I know I would feel guilt putting it through its paces. An m1a is nothing bit a new manufacture firearm that I don't mind treating it like it should be

Last edited:

Still hard to beat an M-1 Garand. Dad used one in the Army. I only fired them a few times, but had good results. The .30/06 is a legendary cartridge that will always be with us, even though it is no longer the standard for any of this world's military forces. I chose the Mini-14 and the Ruger bolt-action .308 because I am an FID holder who is also on a limited budget. I go where my wallet takes me. Both of my rifles, along with my 12-gauge Remington 870 (extended magazine) are FID legal and are capable of much more performance than I am. I am not ashamed to admit this, because it is the truth.

Still hard to beat an M-1 Garand. Dad used one in the Army. I only fired them a few times, but had good results. The .30/06 is a legendary cartridge that will always be with us, even though it is no longer the standard for any of this world's military forces. I chose the Mini-14 and the Ruger bolt-action .308 because I am an FID holder who is also on a limited budget. I go where my wallet takes me. Both of my rifles, along with my 12-gauge Remington 870 (extended magazine) are FID legal and are capable of much more performance than I am. I am not ashamed to admit this, because it is the truth.

I wouldn't be the slightest ashamed of either as they are fine firearms. I'm sorry to hear you only have a FID, but you are fortunate to have a dealer that sold you a mini 14 as many will not. I guess I have gotten to the point in my firearms addiction where I really know what I want ( and its usually pricy!)

Yes, I love my garand and my 30.06 but it feels to me "disrespectful" to cut one up to make the type of firearm I am looking for.

Pretty heavy rifle, but if you don't mind the weight, they are nice guns. AFAIK you can tinker with them and squeeze out better accuracy.

Now if it were me, I'd get a Vepr or another Saiga and put wood furniture on it. :D

Have you handled both a Scout and the as-issued 22" M1A rifle? I've never fired a Scout, but I have fired the Socom 16" and found it incredibly nasty when it comes to muzzle blast.
Just my opinion, but full-blown rifle calibers deserve at least a 20" barrel. Leave the short-peckered stuff to pistol calibers and .223.

i have a scout and a full length, i shoot the scout a lot more. do it you will love it. the muzzle blast on the scout is not bad, i put a flash suppressor on mine instead of the brake. definitely an awesome rifle i hunt with mine quite a bit.

in its current form as a <500 yard battle rifle, soon to be outfitted with a suppressor and aimpoint t1

Last edited:
i have a scout and a full length, i shoot the scout a lot more. do it you will love it. the muzzle blast on the scout is not bad, i put a flash suppressor on mine instead of the brake. definitely an awesome rifle i hunt with mine quite a bit.

in its current form as a <500 yard battle rifle, soon to be outfitted with a suppressor and aimpoint t1

[drool]

Not to hijack this thread, but Allasnackbah, who makes that synthetic stock?

I wouldn't be the slightest ashamed of either as they are fine firearms. I'm sorry to hear you only have a FID, but you are fortunate to have a dealer that sold you a mini 14 as many will not. I guess I have gotten to the point in my firearms addiction where I really know what I want ( and its usually pricy!)

Yes, I love my garand and my 30.06 but it feels to me "disrespectful" to cut one up to make the type of firearm I am looking for.
My "shall issue" FID is by choice. I do not want any type of license that can be taken away by whim of some politically-motivated police chief. I routinely carry a folding knife with a four-inch blade and that is becoming illegal in an increasing number of cities in MA. I do not want a possible misdemeanor arrest for violation of some stupid local knife ordinance to cause me to lose a LTC and my guns. That said, I have never purchased from a MA dealer. You are right, the MA dealers would have refused to sell the Mini 14 to me. I get my guns out of state. I have had the FID for well over 34 years now and never felt disadvantaged with it. It is the perfect fit for my personal lifestyle.

Back
Top Bottom