• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Serial Number Problems?

cockpitbob

NES Member
I inherited 2 sporterized Model-1898 Krag rifles and a single-shot .22 from my Granddad. To mount scopes on the Krags, holes had to be drilled right through digits in the S/N, so there’s no way of knowing what the full S/Ns are. The receiver for .22 was literally made from scratch (during the Great Depression for my dad as a kid). All 3 guns have what looks like my Granddad’s own S/N stamped on their receivers (his initials and the year). When I move to MA in a couple months, will I have problems?

If the original serial number on the Krag was mutilated, I'd be pretty wary of possessing it. Both federal law (§ 922(k)) and MA state law (C. 269 § 11C) state that possession of such a firearm is illegal. For the home made .22, your granddad's initials and year should be sufficient as a serial number. Technically federal law (27 CFR § 5842) states that guns without serial numbers, or without sufficient serial numbers or other information need to have that assigned by ATF. But I don't think very many people know or follow that regulation for older guns.

I imagine just saying, "get rid of them" isn't going to cut it since they're family heirlooms. It might be worth calling ATF and asking them the "hypothetical" questions, or if you're too nervous to come that close to admitting to a felony, you could try a firearms attorney.

You're right about them being heirlooms. I have 2 Krags, beautifully sporterized by my grandfather, and I have 2 sons. Guess what I want to do with the Krags.

I'm going to take your advice on consulting an attorney. In the worst case I'll take a cutoff wheel to the actions and keep the rest and possibly re-action them later.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom