Separate magazines for home / range

There are documented incidents of police officers in shootings retaining empty mags and moon clips. You will respond in an emergency how you train yourself to.

I understand about training how you will fight and all of that, I was just saying that it shouldn't require any extra thought to drop it in an emergency, but maybe its flawed thinking on my part, not sure. Hopefully, I will do the right thing if the time ever comes to where it will matter!

I understand about training how you will fight and all of that, I was just saying that it shouldn't require any extra thought to drop it in an emergency, but maybe its flawed thinking on my part, not sure. Hopefully, I will do the right thing if the time ever comes to where it will matter!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you WILL revert to your lowest level of training and competency in a stressful situation. I'm speaking generally, not specifically at you.

I can see it even in a simple IDPA match. Those first time players who have never done things like drawing from a holster, shooting on the move, shooting against moving targets, properly reloading , etc etc etc. It is a very eye opening experience for them. I am sure they figured they could do all these things "when it matters", but the truth is unless you practice it you won't be able to.

Last edited:
That's not to say in some actual situations you can't or shouldn't retain mags, I'm just saying the time you take retaining an empty one could be the few seconds the other guy needed to kill you. .

There is a poster on m4carbine.net named retreatHell who has taken and reviewed a bunch of carbine/pistol classes while in a wheelchair. He was a marine in Iraq and was trained to retain his mags. Never trained to properly perform an emergency slidelock reload. He shot an insurgent and then went dry. As he was stuffing his empty into a pouch, the insurgent came back and shot him. Paralyzed him from the waist down.

Muscle memory wins out over intentions every time. Practice what you want to do in a stressful situation.

Ditto on all the wisdom. You will sink to level of training.

As far as OP, Ive never had a Mag failure due to beating on mags at range. I'm not saying ignore common sense advice, just that it's been a non issue for me and others on every single department I've worked for.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom