1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Senators Want To Know Why WNBA Players Make Less Money Than NBA Stars

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

Anyone who asks this question is too stupid to live.

This still takes the cake for US Political Stupidity.

Yazz and wahsben like this.

2. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I want to know why female models are paid so much more than their male counterparts.

3. Pete85

Pete85

Pretty much. This came up four years ago during the last women's world cup and it was pointed out that if they were paid the same percentage of the total revenue as the men are, most of them wouldn't even be making minimum wage.

Jason Flare, new guy and wahsben like this.
  4. Lowbird

Lowbird NES Member

But doesn’t it some way already get tax monies?Doesn’t the NBA subsidize the WNBA?

If so, has the league, or teams ever gotten tax breaks or matching funds to build something?

5. jpk

jpk

Wait.... this is sexist/exclusionary isnt it?

Why is there a womens NBA at all?

Shouldnt women and men be competing against one another in "THE" NBA?

6. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

You could probably abolish winning by just making women's "proffessional" sports teams play male high school teams. Then declare the "win" by the males to be void
    That's the other way we could go with this.

Start demanding "full integration" at all levels of male sports.

That will pretty much kill the entire thing.

xtry51 likes this.
  7. new guy

new guy NES Member

The solution is to make women’s sports as entertaining and thus as lucrative as men’s, and somehow figure out a way to make the sportsball consumer spend twice as much on sports as they currently do (or otherwise drag men’s sports down to parity). How hard could it be? A few wildly discriminatory and Orwellian federal laws, a nice video montage of Hollywood celebrities telling us that women’s pro baseball is totally amazing, a huge concerted push by the msm - we could do it.

8. Pete85

Pete85

Is there a rule in the NBA (or any other professional sports league) stating that women can't play?

ETA: Google answered my question. No rule prohibiting women from playing, though very few have ever tried.

Jason Flare and xtry51 like this.
  9. jpk

jpk

I dont think it will kill it

I think it will result in a lot of hurt feelings in sports where women are not competitive

Bottom line is that it will never happen because without quotas to ensure a certain distribution across "genders" it wont suit their agenda in almost every competitive sport

There are very few sports where the top level men and women compete at the same level of excellence......its due to biology.....dont try to tell the party of science that though

10. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Give it a few more years.

It's only a matter of time before some guy who couldn't even come close to competing in the NBA 'transitions' so he/she can
    become the top scoring and highest paid player in the WNBA.

11. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

They've even tried using boobies and it still didn't make women's sports as popular as men's sports.

I don't know of one single instance in pretty much all of human history where women competing were thought of as as "popular" was watching men compete.

It's both a male AND a female thing too. It's not like the women like to watch women and men only like to watch men. Men's sports are pretty popular with a lot of women ( my mother loved to watch the Red Sox ) - as well as being popular with men.

Who watches women's sports? That's the real question to get answered. My guess is that low testosterone men - and a smattering of women.

Like somebody said earlier in the thread: women's sports are already subsidized. If they got paid on the advertising dollars they bring in they'd probably get minimum wage.

Nature and the market have spoken.

12. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

I can watch woman's volleyball for a bit....:)

jpk and BBQ.Uncle like this.
  13. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

Even in car racing - where you largely sit behind a steering wheel and make the car move around the track - women still don't compete on the same level as men.

I used to autocross many years ago - and there are men's classes and women's classes. The women usually just drive the same cars the men (borrow the boyfriend or husband's car). So we're not talking a difference in equipment - it's purely a difference between the drivers - and even then women's times did not stack up to the men's times. We're talking Auto-X here - driving modified "street" cars -not something like Formula 1 or long distance off-road racing where the physicality of the whole thing probably skews towards men having an advantage. When I was younger and had a head full of a lot of the feminist garbage that has been getting pushed for decades - I often thought that car racing is the one place where women should have flooded in and tried to compete with men - because any advantages in body strength would get evened out. If you were a truly good driver - you would win. A lot of the top male drivers in places like Formula 1 are pretty scrawny guys.

I'm in my 50's now - it hasn't happened yet. After more experience and more study - I don't believe it will EVER happen. Because biology.

Like you said: try telling this to the party of "science".

14. RapidTransit

RapidTransit NES Member

Heads will explode:
    Opinion | Parsing the Gender Pay Gap

15. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

This same exact thing has been found in the high tech industry.

Jordan Peterson has a few videos on Youtube where he talks about this and he uses examples from the legal field - he basically says the same exact behavior manifests in the field of high priced corporate attorneys. It's the men who tend to work like dogs - and KEEP DOING IT - well into their later years. From what I remember he said the women - even thought they're entirely competent , tend to work less hours and often decide to just leave the field entirely in their 30's.

16. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

There’s a saying:

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

But when it comes to government and their agendas, I don’t think it applies.

xtry51 likes this.
  17. mass

mass NES Member

Simple solution is to raise ticket prices to $20,000 per seat and add $1,200 per month to each cable bill that includes ESPN. Problem solved.

Jason Flare likes this.
  18. AHM

AHM NES Member

[​IMG]

Radtekk likes this.
  19. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

The problem with a lot of people in government is that they're stupid AND malicious.

Shire Guy and SpaceCritter like this.
  20. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

21. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

If the NBA and the WNBA are the same parent corporation them they have an argument that both genders should be getting the same base salary. Note I said base salary. You can layer in revenue share over that as bonus compensation.

22. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

No, you still don’t. When your job is entertainment, your worth how much entertainment you provide. This has extreme variance even within the same exact entertainment venue. An argument that one athlete should be payed equally to another, or one actor equally to another, just based on being an athlete or actor, is never valid.

I bet a US Senator doesn’t think some town councilwoman deserves the same salary as they do because both are politicians.

23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Great points from these elected officials.

Now, I notice that state senators don’t make as much as Senators. That needs to rectified as well.

In fact, senators are almost always lawyers. Some lawyers make less than $24,000 a year.

It isn’t fiscally feasible to pay all attorneys $200k so let’s just drop Senatorial pay to $24,000.

24. EC1

EC1 NES Member

they should cap nba players' salaries to wnba levels, same scenario for all sports that have both mens' and womens' competitions, also politicians' salaries should be capped at $100/hr but hourly pay only counted while they're in washington and in their office or in session (max of 40hrs/wk with lobbyists banned from DC) , their total staffs salaries should be capped to the $s the congress critters actually earn.

25. highlander

highlander

I'm not a sports fan but even I can figure out that the NBA is a bigger draw than WNBA. Nothing against the women players they are excellent athletes but they don't have the draw power to fill seats and arenas.

26. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Here are some numbers I compiled to show why the USWNT (soccer) doesn't deserve as much money as the men.

Angry Megan and her equal pay cohorts can chew on these:

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup (France)

Total attendance 1,131,312
    Average attendance 21,756 over 52 matches
    Cheapest ticket USD $10
    Most expensive ticket USD $93

2018 FIFA Men's World Cup (Russia)

Total attendance 3,031,368
    Average attendance 47,371 over 64 matches
    Cheapest ticket USD $110
    Most expensive ticket USD $1100

So, nearly 3 times as many people were willing to buy tickets (and therefore travel to) Russia rather than France.

I'm still trying to track down sponsorship fees for each tournament.

BTW, this year's Copa America (Men - South America) averaged 30,665 per match over just 26 matches.

27. peterk123

peterk123

Haha, we were talking about this guy last night at dinner. Scary who we have making decisions on our behalf; and really nothing we can do but watch. Cuz, voting just doesn't work anymore (he is proof). And today with all the lunacy, no reasonable person will ever run for office. Just spiraling out of control. I can't for the life of me see how this ever reverses, barring a major tragedy. I guess it is the price we pay for a life that is too good.

Admin likes this.
  28. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

I believe that $24 billion TV figure is an 8 year deal between two networks and the NBA, but the point still stands in terms of sheer staggering figures.

I read somewhere that gross revenue for NBA is like $8 billion a year via TV, merch, tickets, and licensing. For comparison, WNBA has been tight lipped about gross revenue, but if you reverse engineer their 2016-17 figures (a year that has known figures), they took $27.4 million gate and $25 million TV deal. Assuming merch and licensing is relatively non-impacting, that means WNBA baseline gross revenue would be around $52 million, or about 1/154 that of the NBA. That would mean that if the WNBA starting salary is higher than 1/154 the NBA starting salary (which it is), then they are actually doing something right by the players. If anything, the WNBA has a slightly more equitable profit sharing with average players than the NBA.

If WNBA players or supporters want their players to earn more money, then they need to get better ratings, fill more seats at higher prices, and sell more shirts/hats/video game licenses. To do that, the quality of play needs to advance. It's not terrible now, but it pales in comparison to the likes of other women athletes in their respective sports like, say, the Williams sisters in tennis or Michelle Wie in golf. The money is there to be had. Just that no one wants to see the current WBNA.

29. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I concur. Next we annex Austria and roll over Poland. We will be in Paris by Christmas!

30. edmorseiii

edmorseiii Navy Veteran NES Member

I'd sure tune in to watch the WNBA all star team get clapped out by a high school boys team.