Senator Finegold addresses LTC processing delays

After hitting 81 days waiting for my LTC I decided to reach out to Senator Feingold. Fortunately for me my LTC came while I waiting for his office's response. But I still decided to press on with them to see if I could find out what is holding things up for others.

Here is the response I received from his office...

I talked with the Mass State Police. They said that the hold-up is due to understaffing in that department. I’ve been told that just two people are responsible for processing and putting together all the licenses for the state and they are months behind.

I suspect this all comes down to funding.

Senator Finegold is aware of the issue and has said he will try to address this during next year’s legislative session.

Thank you very much for reaching out. If anything else comes up, please let me know.

I know that's not the only reason some people are being held up but it sure makes it sound like a lot of the problem is with the state.

Last edited:
After hitting 81 days waiting for my LTC I decided to reach out to Senator Feingold. He's the GOAL endorsed State Senator for my district. Fortunately for me my LTC came while I waiting for his office's response. But I still decided to press on with them to see if I could find out what is holding things up for others.

I know that's not the only reason some people are being held up but it sure makes it sound like a lot of the problem is with the state.

In sales, this is know as the "Appealing to higher authority" objection. Educators use this all the time "Our hands are tied, these madates come from the federal government" (Ohhh, big scary Federal Government) in order to push through any garbage initiative that comes down the pike (and if we don't do this we'll loose our grant/funding/etc). This is why many in-home salesmen will not meet with you unless BOTH the husband and wife are at home for the demo, lest they say something like "That sounds good, let me check with the wife and get back to you" -- once you hear this the deal is DEAD.

While they may very well be short-handed at the State Police, my guess is that this is by design as this is a moonbat state -- and having read the entire "How long did it take to get your LTC" thread here we all know much of this is merely to deflect the blame as the local LA is often the cause of the delays.

good that he actually replied & admitted that there is issues over there but the majority of the 81 days is probably local. my father & a family friend just got their ltc-a's in 8 weeks from a "friendly" town. my buddies wife took 3 times longer in the next town over & she applied the same day (they all took the class together).
good news is all of them had clean record and got LTCa no restrictions

on another note: my friend who let his ltc expire (didnt want to spend the $100 because he didnt have a pistol anyway) decided to renew his license (after a home invasion NEXT DOOR). he called his PD, was told to "come down on tuesday". went & was told "i dont know anything about it" by the dispatcher. Called again next day, asked for licensing officer or chief & was told to leave a message and was put to voicemail. After not getting any callbacks or making any progress for over a week, i got him in touch with a friend of a friend who's in that dept and they gave him a cell # to call the right officer. Left him a message & he called back 10mins later, met him at station that afternoon & got paperwork filed THAT DAY & told him 6-8 weeks tops.
he probably would still be waiting if he kept dealing with the runaround. Sometimes you just need to know somebody who knows someone that can get in touch with someone else to get something done by someone else that should be easy for anyone to do for everybody?!? [thinking]

Finegold(D) is rated "C" with GOAL and not endorsed by them. His opponent, Adams(R), is rated "A" by GOAL. To be honest though Sen. Finegold has always been responsive when I've contacted his office. I've never had any contact with Adams so I can't say if he is as easy to get a reply from.

In the Rep race, incumbent Rep. Jim Miceli(D) is endorsed and rated A+ by GOAL and can use your vote. He is running against Doug Sears(R).

Last edited:
After hitting 81 days waiting for my LTC I decided to reach out to Senator Feingold. He's the GOAL endorsed State Senator for my district. Fortunately for me my LTC came while I waiting for his office's response. But I still decided to press on with them to see if I could find out what is holding things up for others.

My problem with the answer that it's a delay from the state, is that many people on this forum have reported turnaround times of 6 weeks or less (including one guy I know who got his in 4 weeks from Rutland) at the same time mine took more than 10 weeks and I heard the same comment from the officer in charge, and I live in a green town.

I'm voting for Adams. Feingold came walking in my backyard 4 weeks ago, around the garage, as u was coming off my rear deck. Lucky he didn't get plugged. [laugh2]

Yeah the problem is that we don't pay them enough.

"If only the LTC app cost $1,000 we might be able to obey our bullshit law."

Corduroys.

The Registry of Motor Vehicles makes money (It takes in more in Registration, and other, fees than it has in expenses), but continues to cut back on services, as it makes the unable-to-go-elsewhere customers more amenable to fee increases for the promise of better services.

sound familliar?

I talked with the Mass State Police. They said that the hold-up is due to understaffing in that department. I’ve been told that just two people are responsible for processing and putting together all the licenses for the state and they are months behind.

Then where the hell does our $100 go if not to pay for the 'processing' and the people necessary to do it?!

When I went for my interview the LEO gave me the a copy of the confirmation of transmittal of my application. That was 25 days ago. So It doesn't surprise me it takes 4 weeks or more once it is submitted.

Me thinks that, at least on renewals, since the 40 day license issuance cannot be met, then the law should be rewritten so that a LTC/FID shall remain in "full affect" as long as the licensee has applied for renewal on time. No 90 day limit or lack of buying power beyond the license expiration date.

After hitting 81 days waiting for my LTC I decided to reach out to Senator Feingold. Fortunately for me my LTC came while I waiting for his office's response. But I still decided to press on with them to see if I could find out what is holding things up for others.

"I talked with the Mass State Police. They said that the hold-up is due to understaffing in that department. I’ve been told that just two people are responsible for processing and putting together all the licenses for the state and they are months behind.

I suspect this all comes down to funding.

Senator Finegold is aware of the issue and has said he will try to address this during next year’s legislative session.

Thank you very much for reaching out. If anything else comes up, please let me know. "

Didn't the SP just have the largest graduating class since Gov. Weld!? How the frack can they be "short handed"?!!

I call BS!! [bs2][bs2]

Instead of increasing funding, they need to scale down and simplify the licensing process to reduce or eliminate costs, rather than keep the costs and INCREASE FUNDING (ie: raise taxes and/or fees)!

Didn't the SP just have the largest graduating class since Gov. Weld!? How the frack can they be "short handed"?!!

I call BS!! [bs2][bs2]

Because they really need about four classes that size to replace all the attrition from not having a class at all since 2006.

With that said, provided it is sworn assets that are the issue (I suspect that department is staffed by mostly by non-troopers), resources should be shifted from road troopers to getting these through.

The FRB has a pretty decent record of turning around LTCs in about 2 weeks once the department does its stuff. The MSP may very well have been responding to what was perceived as a query about this delay.

Such a response is meaningless unless the state senator's office actually determined the reason for the delay in the individual's case. We have reports of some towns where it takes well over the statutory 40 days just to get an appointment to apply.

Budget does not give citizens the authority to ignore the law (try "I can't afford to pay my property tax" or "I won't do that EPA/DCR mandated cleanup due to my budgetary constraints"), so it should not give the govt a pass either - but, in practice, it often does.

...Such a response is meaningless unless the state senator's office actually determined the reason for the delay in the individual's case. We have reports of some towns where it takes well over the statutory 40 days just to get an appointment to apply. ...

What if they filled in an application, and just mailed it in, certified mail? Would that start the clock then?

What if they filled in an application, and just mailed it in, certified mail? Would that start the clock then?

That's what the law says, but as we've seen the law apparently doesn't apply to them.

MGL Chapter 140 said:
The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

I say the experiment on licensing a Constitutional right has failed as the state cannot follow through with the law it has written.

This program must be eliminated.

It appears they would rather give out speeding tickets than follow the law.

The FRB has a pretty decent record of turning around LTCs in about 2 weeks once the department does its stuff. The MSP may very well have been responding to what was perceived as a query about this delay.

Such a response is meaningless unless the state senator's office actually determined the reason for the delay in the individual's case. We have reports of some towns where it takes well over the statutory 40 days just to get an appointment to apply.

Budget does not give citizens the authority to ignore the law (try "I can't afford to pay my property tax" or "I won't do that EPA/DCR mandated cleanup due to my budgetary constraints"), so it should not give the govt a pass either - but, in practice, it often does.

This. I don't think the delay is at the state level. If there is a state delay it is a few days during busy periods. The real delay is with the towns. Until towns are somehow held accountable to the 40 day statute nothing will change.

Only if they can afford counsel to bring a well prepared case.

Maybe Comm2A could help out on this one. It sounds about right.

This. I don't think the delay is at the state level. If there is a state delay it is a few days during busy periods. The real delay is with the towns. Until towns are somehow held accountable to the 40 day statute nothing will change.

This.

When I renewed my ltc this week I saw that it goes right to the state web site. Three finger print scans and a web cam picture. How could this be a town problem?

Back
Top Bottom