• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senator "Charles "Chuck" Schumer (D) NY wants to ban home-made bombs

now he wants to ban green laser pointers too...

Schumer wants to ban high-powered green laser pointers
http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/schumer-wants-to-ban-high-powered-green-laser-pointers/

Sen. Charles Schumer wants the federal government to ban the sale of high-powered green laser pointers such as the one that impeded four pilots last week.

“Shining a green laser into an airplane isn’t just pointless, it’s highly dangerous,” Schumer said Sunday.

Schumer’s statement came after a Bronx man admitted pointing a military-strength laser at planes landing at La Guardia last Monday.
i own some military strength rope and window cleaner. are they too powerful for the average joe?

There are power restrictions on laser output that are of course waived for military use...

However, this is nonsense. If someone hurts someone with malice of forethought, they have committed a crime. If they hurt someone without malice, then tort may apply.

Nothing in either of those requires banning things. Nothing in either of those allows banning things according to the constitution.

Having worked with some relatively powerful lasers (~1kw), I would say that there are no legal limits on power - there are regulations on labeling and safeties though

Having worked with some relatively powerful lasers (~1kw), I would say that there are no legal limits on power - there are regulations on labeling and safeties though

That probably holds true on the federal side of things. In MA, there is a whole other ball game. The health department has all sorts of regs with teeth. And frankly, 90% of them don't make coherent sense if you aren't a Lasik practitioner, but they all apply to everyone...

Can we start a petition to Ban Banning things? Every time I turn around something else is getting banned

What the **** is a military strength laser? Oh yeah, it scares the sheeple...

It's the laser pointer equivalent of the "assault rifle". "Nobody needs a gun designed for soldiers."

Of course, all it really is is the type of laser commonly used for pointing out stars to a newbie at astronomy... it's a bit easier than saying "See that big star... go 3 finger widths over it...." "What what big star?" "That one." "That one?" "No THAT one... wait... which one are YOU pointing at?" Been there, done that.

It's the laser pointer equivalent of the "assault rifle". "Nobody needs a gun designed for soldiers."

Of course, all it really is is the type of laser commonly used for pointing out stars to a newbie at astronomy... it's a bit easier than saying "See that big star... go 3 finger widths over it...." "What what big star?" "That one." "That one?" "No THAT one... wait... which one are YOU pointing at?" Been there, done that.

Now that I've typed that, I've suddenly realized my error. The anti's will say "This laser is SO POWERFUL that it can even reach stars!! Imagine what it will do to a plane if it can reach a star!!" So, pointing out these are used for astronomy will be no comfort to them at all.

Ok maybe I read the question as has anything good ever come from ny..

Ill take the stance of my old friend James Rawles he also is of the opinion that Schumer is a scumbag pos politician.
http://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Wesley_Rawles

Those large soft pretzels...NY style pizza....thats all I can think of.

Does anything good ever come out of New York?

Last edited:
That probably holds true on the federal side of things. In MA, there is a whole other ball game. The health department has all sorts of regs with teeth. And frankly, 90% of them don't make coherent sense if you aren't a Lasik practitioner, but they all apply to everyone...

I see what you did there...

Back
Top Bottom