• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Senate panel backs crackdown on clandestine gun sales

Senate panel backs crackdown on clandestine gun sales - Yahoo! News

On a largely party-line vote of 11-7, the Democratic-led committee approved a bill to make it a federal crime to engage in "straw purchasing," or buying of guns on behalf of those who are prohibited from owning them.

"It is designed to prevent criminals from using straw purchasers who can pass a background check and then hand those firearms to criminals," Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, said in touting his bill. It carries a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison.

The proposal was the first of four gun-control measures that are expected to pass the committee, setting up fights in the full Senate where Republicans strongly oppose a proposed ban on assault weapons and have doubts about a plan to expand background checks on prospective gun buyers.

Now they're double illegal.

tmb_776_480.jpg

There goes path to rich and famous! I'd always thought that one day a grandchild of those straw purchase makers would become a US president. Doubly unlikely now.

Watching this towery, i have to admit, o was kind of taken back that there is currently no federal trafficking crime. But, this law also had a rider on it, about fund being gifted, and making those illegal straw purchases. Several senators spoke out about that, but they were shot down. This will go to the floor, but likely will not pass a vote, because of that.

Using my galaxy s2 via tapatalk, because I am too lazy to find a computer

Technically, straw purchases are not explicitly spelled out as being illegal.

However, the ATF (thanks to the GCA and possibly FOPA) has listed 6 laws that are violated when you perform a straw purchase.
18 U.S.C. §2 –Aiding & Abetting
18 U.S.C. §371 –Conspiracy
18 U.S.C. §922(a)(6) –Deceiving Statement
18 U.S.C. §924(a)(1)(A) –False Statement
18 U.S.C. §924(a)(3) –FFL False Statement
27 C.F.R. 478.128 –False Statement
http://www.atf.gov/publications/fir...etecting-avoiding-illegal-straw-purchases.pdf

Even though this technicality exists, congress is still full of retards.

Especially since people have been convicted of a "straw purchase" even with this technicality.

Last edited:
They just make the rules..but aren't obligated to follow them. Think insider trading. And healthcare.

I don't accept it in any case.

This guy is the most flagrant criminal on the free side of prison bars in the United States and its time to put him on the other side.

Oh, they surely must mean the ATF and the Justice Department. Evidently they didn't know that was illegal already...

Come on our law makers have no idea what laws we have are , that witch thinks it is legal to hunt humans, biden thinks it is okay to randomly blast shotguns off the etc...

Back
Top Bottom