Senate Gun-Deal Negotiators Differ on Red-Flag Laws, Domestic Abuser Rules

SFC13557

NES Member

Some sticking points remain between Republicans and Democrats in push to pass a bill next week​

We'll see, I hope it blows up in the RINO's face.
From today's WSJ.

"WASHINGTON—Senators drafting gun-control legislation are working to overcome sticking points between Republicans and Democrats to stay on track to pass a bill next week.

Key negotiators wanted to release legislative text before Friday. Late Wednesday, though, they said they were stuck on drafting the language for two provisions. One would provide federal grants to states to enforce red-flag laws that allow authorities to remove guns temporarily from people threatening violence, and the other would close the “boyfriend loophole” that allows convicted domestic abusers to buy guns if they aren’t married to their partner.

Lawmakers and gun-control advocates say the laws would be particularly effective in preventing suicide. In 2020, 54% of all gun-related deaths in the U.S. were suicides while 43% were murders, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Texas Sen. John Cornyn, the Republican leading the talks, told reporters Thursday morning that negotiators were in a “good place” on red-flag language but that reaching a compromise on the boyfriend loophole remained a challenge and that it might have to drop out of the package. “I think that’s one option,” he said.

A person familiar with the talks said that the issues around the red-flag laws weren’t resolved at this point, but lawmakers were making progress.

A bipartisan group of senators planned to meet again Thursday to try to complete a deal in time to vote on the legislation next week.

Ten senators from each party signed on to the framework over the weekend, and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D., N.Y.) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) have backed the proposals, which would be the most significant federal legislation on guns in decades.

Connecticut Sen. Chris Murphy, the lead Democratic negotiator, said he didn’t expect any elements of the framework to drop out. “I think we can work out all of these issues,” he said.

The framework is the product of bipartisan talks that started after deadly mass shootings at a Buffalo, N.Y., supermarket and a Uvalde, Texas, elementary school. President Biden and most Democrats have said they would support the policies in the framework, even though it falls short of their broader proposal that passed the House.

At least 60 votes will be required to advance the bill in the 50-50 Senate, under the chamber’s longstanding filibuster rule. That means at least 10 Republicans would have to vote for the bill, if all 50 senators who caucus with Democrats voted as a bloc.

Democrats have been pushing for years to block dating partners convicted of domestic violence from obtaining a firearm. Current laws ban those who are “married to, lived with, or have a child with the victim” and who have been convicted of an abuse felony or are under a restraining order from obtaining a firearm. Democrats want to extend this to serious dating partners, and Republicans are wary about how to define that.

“Part of it, it’s a definitional issue…It already covers people who are married, people who have a child in common and people who are cohabitating, and Democrats want to extend it to other relationships and I’m not clear exactly what it is they want to cover that’s not included in what I just mentioned,” Mr. Cornyn said.

Lawmakers also are debating whether to make the law retroactive to previous crimes or whether it would only apply to convictions going forward, two people familiar with the negotiations said.

The Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence says that nearly half of all women killed in the U.S. are murdered by a current or former intimate partner.

On the red-flag laws, Sen. Thom Tillis (R., N.C.), who is involved in the talks, said states that choose not to have red-flag laws but have crisis intervention or treatment programs should be able to qualify for the federal funding too, pointing to veterans courts and mental-health courts as examples.

Lawmakers haven’t set an amount of money for the grants, and Senate negotiators are looking for a way to pay for the entire package, which is expected to cost several billion dollars, by delaying for a year the implementation of a Trump-era Medicare rebate rule.

Nineteen states and the District of Columbia currently have red-flag laws that allow law-enforcement agencies—and sometimes family members or co-workers—to petition judges to issue emergency orders that temporarily remove the firearms of gun owners threatening violence, without the gun owner being present in court. Later on, gun owners can defend themselves at hearings.

Republicans have raised concerns that red-flag laws could violate gun owners’ due-process rights.

The framework also proposes a crackdown on illegal sales of guns, and new funding for mental-health programs and school security. It also would require an investigative period to review juvenile and mental health records for 18-to-21-year-old gun purchasers."

Write to Natalie Andrews at [email protected] and Lindsay Wise at [email protected]

I’m really hoping that they push for too much and then it just blows up.

They are some pretty dumb laws they are trying to write and pass.

Precrime and allowing more intimate partners to screw you isnt right…

You have these women who try to read Flag /domestic violence you but then they won’t move out of your house..

They’re scared for their life but “have nowhere to go “ever hear of a shelter bitch.

All a smokescreen, they won't lock up violent juveniles/gangbangers, repeat violent felons but they want to make it easier for some vengeful crazy bitch to ruin her BF's life. How about locking up the shooters, carjackers, habitual violent inner city criminals? Nah, that's racist but it's open season on legal white gun owners..

All a smokescreen, they won't lock up violent juveniles/gangbangers, repeat violent felons but they want to make it easier for some vengeful crazy bitch to ruin her BF's life. How about locking up the shooters, carjackers, habitual violent inner city criminals? Nah, that's racist but it's open season on legal white gun owners..
they don't really care about the white gun owners, they just want the guns

I'm still lost on this one: How, if you're a convicted domestic abuser, can you buy a gun??

Are we saying that some domestic abuse is somehow a miss Demeanor???? How about you fix THAT instead of making ANOTHER law. Or leave it hte F alone if it's a non-starter. We're gonna deny thousands their rights because one or two might be bad??? That's not how this country works.

You will know how serious they are by how steep the penalties for filing a false report are.
I expect they will do the same as Ma. and strip out the penalties at the 11th hour .
I got a kick out of it when my so called Republican "I own a gun too" Rep that voted for it tried to lie to my face and tell me it didn't happen.

As expected, this is what happens when you expect Libs to be serious and bipartisan on firearm bills/laws. You can't trust these MFer's, it's all for show.
I hope that his constituents in TX give him a f***ing EARFUL about working with the damn gun grabbers when he gets home!

I'm still lost on this one: How, if you're a convicted domestic abuser, can you buy a gun??

Are we saying that some domestic abuse is somehow a miss Demeanor???? How about you fix THAT instead of making ANOTHER law. Or leave it hte F alone if it's a non-starter. We're gonna deny thousands their rights because one or two might be bad??? That's not how this country works.

Misdemeanor, usually, it turns out

You have to love how they call it “the boyfriend loophole”
Sexist much?

Women have never known to be crazy violent bitches… It’s all on the way they’re framing this, which is funny of this current climate of trannys and “birthing person”

What is a boyfriend they ask? You went on a date? You had sex? What if you’re dating or practicing abstinence? Have you ever lived together? So is a roommate your boyfriend because they live with you?Basically it’s anybody in rat anybody out for not doing anything

This auto correct is terrible.. youd think it would at least pick something close to the right word

Last edited:
"I'm guessing that is what McConnell expected when he set this farce up."

Hope so, Cocaine Mitch is the ultimate long term strategist. Just ask Merritt Garland! 🖕

I'm guessing that is what McConnell expected when he set this farce up.
He came out saying he'd vote for it to take a giant steaming shit on the GOP base rather than simply saying nothing or going through the motions of his usual 'failure theater'.

I presume he thought it was going to sail through atop toddler coffins and didn't expect the Dems to f*** up a free shot on goal when inflation and other major issues kept the media from flogging that horse.

The revelations that the police sat around not stopping the perp, while ASSISTING THE PERP by stopping parents from attempting to save their kids, and then flat out lied about it, isn't helping the push for this bullshit either. The same cops that wouldn't save your kids, and arrested you for trying to save your kids, are now going to take you guns and have 'suitability' bullshit in states that didn't already have that f***ery? Yeah.. f*** no.

Lautenberg f***ed that up 100 yrs ago.

Basically any DV misdemeanor is a felony for gun purposes.

Democrats are hoping relabel many simple misdemeanor assault convictions into "domestic abuse" and thus retroactively make thousands of men into prohibited persons.

Democrats are hoping relabel many simple misdemeanor assault convictions into "domestic abuse" and thus retroactively make thousands of men into prohibited persons.
Potentially the axe will slice the meat both ways, too. Sure men will get the brunt, but shit like Lautenberg has disabled women, too. Mandatory DV states love that shit.

If I understand correctly, the “boyfriend loophole” is that domestic abuse is, in many cases limited to married couples. Same behavior between people who are dating isn’t considered domestic abuse.

If I understand correctly, the “boyfriend loophole” is that domestic abuse is, in many cases limited to married couples. Same behavior between people who are dating isn’t considered domestic abuse.

From my understanding, states have definitions that differ from the federal level. MA, for instance, might establish that a domestic relationship exists even though two individuals are unmarried but have gone on a date at some point. It's dependent on how a domestic relationship is defined and adjudicated.

Here is one explanation from Guns and Gadgets:

View: https://youtu.be/dcGcxDt0E9o

From GOAL:

NOTE: We’ve once again separated letters by Senators’ political party affiliation so as to maximize our efficacy. Letters to Democrats will focus on the threats Red Flag Gun Confiscation Laws pose to our Fifth Amendment right to Due Process.

John Cornyn – the lead Republican gun control negotiator – had the AUDACITY to tell gun owners that the gun control deal is a victory for the Second Amendment…I kid you not.
Not only is Cornyn ready to sell us out, but he also has the gall to lie to our faces.

Cornyn naively believes that if he cuts a deal with the most rabid gun grabbers in the Senate, they will go their merry way and never touch the Second Amendment again.
But Senator Chris Murphy has ALREADY stated that if he gets Republicans to cave once, “then maybe we open the door for further change.”
In fact, while Cornyn and the other 9 traitors consider shredding the Second Amendment, the White House is reportedly taking steps to impose MORE gun control.
The Federalist is reporting that the White House may SHUT DOWN a major ammunition plant in Missouri. The factory in question is one of the largest producers of M855/SS109 ammo – the most popular caliber for AR-15s.

With the Senate vote coming any day now, it’s critical that you continue to bombard your Senators with letters and phone calls.

Please add your name to our pre-written letters to tell your two Senators to VOTE NO on the bipartisan gun control framework. Please also call your Senator at (202) 224-3121 as the Senate could begin voting THIS WEEK.

Link here.

Senators say agreement on gun violence compromise is at hand​

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senators have moved to the brink of an agreement on a bipartisan gun violence bill, Democrats’ lead negotiator said Tuesday, potentially teeing up votes this week on an incremental but notable package that would stand as Congress’s response to mass shootings in Texas and New York that shook the nation.

Nine days after Senate bargainers agreed to a framework proposal — and 29 years after Congress last enacted a major measure curbing firearms — Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., told reporters that a final agreement on the proposal’s details was at hand.

The legislation lawmakers have been working toward would toughen background checks for the youngest firearms buyers, require more sellers to conduct background checks and beef up penalties on gun traffickers. It also would disburse money to states and communities aimed at improving school safety and mental health initiatives.

“I think we’ve reached agreement,” Murphy said. “And just we’re dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s right now. I think we’re in good shape.”

Continues...

Murphy may be lying to get the cuck caucus to surrender before they hit the July 4th break.

The breaking news on police negligence and cowardice in Uvalde isn't going to help them either.

Senators say agreement on gun violence compromise is at hand​

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senators have moved to the brink of an agreement on a bipartisan gun violence bill, Democrats’ lead negotiator said Tuesday, potentially teeing up votes this week on an incremental but notable package that would stand as Congress’s response to mass shootings in Texas and New York that shook the nation.

Nine days after Senate bargainers agreed to a framework proposal — and 29 years after Congress last enacted a major measure curbing firearms — Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., told reporters that a final agreement on the proposal’s details was at hand.

The legislation lawmakers have been working toward would toughen background checks for the youngest firearms buyers, require more sellers to conduct background checks and beef up penalties on gun traffickers. It also would disburse money to states and communities aimed at improving school safety and mental health initiatives.

“I think we’ve reached agreement,” Murphy said. “And just we’re dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s right now. I think we’re in good shape.”

Continues...
When does the text of the bill get publish? After it’s passed?

Back
Top Bottom