Semi Auto Shotgun Question...

AFVet

NES Member
Do any of you guys know how much you can shorten a semi auto shotgun barrel before it will stop functioning correctly ? Paul

I should probably ask what kind of gun, but I don't think it matters.

Adding weight to some semis can cause the action to not cycle properly. I've never heard that removing weight (by shortening the barrel) would have a negative impact. We're only talking about a few ounces.

Make it as short as you want. Within legal limits, of course.

I'd be afraid of an A5 hanging up in the magazine tube if shortened too much. Would be cool as hell, though.
Clyde barrows cut his down.....well....it was a model 11 remington but same action type.

clyde_bonne_custom-dc28d9c2a5ed52f07c690f95af80dd0519d77875.jpg

Last edited:
18" with a minimum overall length of 26" for a "shotgun"

That would be the shortest I'd cut it.

although it is a lot easier to get a replacement barrel in that length

Where's the gas port? The barrel has to be longer than that. :)
Who knows, but anyone who can cut down a barrel can drill a gas port orifice. Start small and increase as operation/cycling improves...

You guys are right, I apologize for the lack of necessary information. The item in question is a gas operated Charles Daly, (Akkar) , 28 inch barrel and vent rib. I need to make it Home defense length, but I have no idea where the gas port is or where it would be. I did look for replacement barrels but no defense lengths for this model and gauge. 20 gauge by the way.

If you have a vent rib, you'll have to deal with that, too.

As for gas ports, take the barrel off, and look at the bottom - they're generally where the ring that attaches to the mag tube is.

You'll need some sealed metal forward of that, so that sufficient pressure/volume of gasses can enter the system.

This is the shortest one I saw on a quick search.

Do any of you guys know how much you can shorten a semi auto shotgun barrel before it will stop functioning correctly ? Paul
Secret Service Remington 870 shotguns back in the 1970s had 12.5" barrels and top folding stocks with pistol grips. They also had a unique handguard below the barrel to keep the hand away from the muzzle when firing the weapon. The only female Secret Service agent ever killed in the line of duty was a victim of this weapon during a stakeout in Los Angeles near LAX when she and her partner were ambushed by muggers and disarmed. Special Agent Julie Cross, RIP! Charles Whitman cut his Sears Roebuck semiauto 12 gauge right down to the magazine tube and it still did the job during that infamous day in Austin Texas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom