• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi-auto rifle suggestions for massachusetts

The prices are the same for SKSs across the country. This is the very end before people will wish they bought them at the $900 mark. Will they go higher? I know they won't come down.
A $900 can still buy plenty. I do not look down at sks, I had one, an excellent one. A couple I saw in local stores were old rusty non chrome-lined beaten up iron sticks, meh. Same $900 got me a cz varmint and a scope.
If you find a real Soviet one in good shape - get it, of course, but, it is not easy to find.

Just buy an M1 Garand.
Should not have a problem finding one, they are still out there, expensive, but where's the ball ammo for it? As long as Dementia Joe and Carmel Harris are in there you can assume the ammo problem will stick around for a while and NewBs like this fella are having a tough time finding anything. Go with whats out there but make sure you can feed it.

Couple sks now is not happening when they go for close to $900, a crappy yugo and chinese ones. It is just not right.

Geezus - I just went and checked on Gunbroker and people are getting $950 now for a nice looking Russian SKS. Looks like those two Soviet SKS' in my safe were a good buy 10+ years ago.

I can remember when you could buy Chinese or Yugo SKS by the crate-full at like $300 each.

Geezus - I just went and checked on Gunbroker and people are getting $950 now for a nice looking Russian SKS. Looks like those two Soviet SKS' in my safe were a good buy 10+ years ago.

I can remember when you could buy Chinese or Yugo SKS by the crate-full at like $300 each.
I was a dealer in the early 90s and I was getting Russian SKSs for $159.00 and was able to get consecutive serial numbers. I bought a crate and took 3 pick of the litter. Still have em all consecutive serial numbers. Moved a lot of them back then, who would have known where they would go in prices.

This may piss off some of you, but here's my SKS story.

Back in the late 80s I went to college in New Haven (NH). (Not Yale). NH was having a big problem with with drug violence. Crack was killing the city.
So they decided to have a gun "buyback". They paid $50 for a rifle or shotgun. $100 for a handgun. And $200!!!! for an "assault weapon".

After it was announced, but before it happened, I was wandering around Hoffman's Guns in Newington and saw crates of SKS rifles. If you bought a whole crate (either 10 or 20 guns, I can't remember) the price was $80 each.

I had an idea.
I called the NH PD and asked if the SKS was considered to be an assault weapon. I eventually got my answer from a friend who was a new patrolman in NH. Yes.

So I bought 20 rifles for $1600 and turned them in for $4000. The cops knew what I was doing, but there wasn't really much they could do. It was no questions asked, etc.

I took my $2400 and bought a Smith and Wesson 6906, a good belt and a Mitch Rosen holster for it as well as a Seecamp 32 and a pocket holster, from Chris at Chris' gun shop in New Haven. The rest of the money went towards beer and food. ha.

Back then, the supply of SKS seemed bottomless.

But then again, I've also got a few Mosins that I bought 20+ years ago for like $60. Ha. I kept them because they are neat. I never liked the SKS.

Last edited:
That LaRue Ultimate Upper kit for ~900 seems to be the best and easiest way to get a decent AR for reasonable money here in MA. All you’ll need beyond that is an AR lower.

This may piss off some of you, but here's my SKS story.

Back in the late 80s I went to college in New Haven. (Not Yale). NH was having a big problem with with drug violence. Crack was killing the city.
So they decided to have a gun "buyback". They paid $50 for a rifle or shotgun. $100 for a handgun. And $200!!!! for an "assault weapon".

After it was announced, but before it happened, I was wandering around Hoffman's Guns in Newington and saw crates of SKS rifles. If you bought a whole crate (either 10 or 20 guns, I can't remember) the price was $80 each.

I had an idea.
I called the NH PD and asked if the SKS was considered to be an assault weapon. I eventually got my answer from a friend who was a new patrolman in NH. Yes.

So I bought 20 rifles for $1600 and turned them in for $4000. The cops knew what I was doing, but there wasn't really much they could do. It was no questions asked, etc.

I took my $2400 and bought a Smith and Wesson 6906, a good belt and a Mitch Rosen holster for it as well as a Seecamp 32 and a pocket holster, from Chris at Chris' gun shop in New Haven. The rest of the money went towards beer and food. ha.

Back then, the supply of SKS seemed bottomless.

But then again, I've also got a few Mosins that I bought 20+ years ago for like $60. Ha. I kept them because they are neat. I never liked the SKS.

I wouldn't think an SKS would be considered an assault rifle in NH, especially where it is not on the assault rifle list in MA. ??? Anyone know anything about that??

I wouldn't think an SKS would be considered an assault rifle in NH, especially where it is not on the assault rifle list in MA. ??? Anyone know anything about that??
about what? about why anything that is a semi-auto is now associated with the word 'assault'? who knows. it is a new trend.

I'd be looking for something chambered in 7.62x39 given the ammo availability and cost. Pay 40 cpr vs 80 cpr for 5.56....
Unless you're one of those who shoots 3 times per year then buy whatever.

... I bought 20 rifles for $1600 and turned them in for $4000. The cops knew what I was doing, but there wasn't really much they could do. It was no questions asked, etc.
"Stuff Disappearing From Evidence Room" Joke Dept.

You should have removed a tidbit from each of them.
Say, the firing pin.

Then set up a card table in front of the precinct house:

SKS Firing Pins: $100​

I have two VZ58 style guns. A Century parts gun and a Czechpoint.. They are wonderful guns and I have put my AKs in the back of the safe after shooting them. If you get a Century, grab a surplus gas piston. Their pistons were horrible in terms of quality. I had one bend up so bad that I had to cut it out of the gun. With the surplus piston, runs like a Swiss watch. Century's guns are a mixed bag...The Czechpoint guns are excellent. Mags are cheap an plentiful. I've got black synthetic furniture, blond wood, and "Beaver Barf" red pressed wood furninture to swap around as well. Get a bonesteel arms, slovak style muzzle break for $26 for the rifle and your jaw will drop on how effective it is.

Here is a little info on Century vs Czechpoint:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPJdr54YFg

What’s a fair price for a czechpoint?

What’s a fair price for a czechpoint?

High, and getting higher; "fair," in a world where WASRs cost the $500 they ought to, would be around $800 I would think. But as you know, we don't live in that world.

You're not likely to find a good Vz58 for south of $1200 in this state, probably closer to $1500. My view is that you should probably value it at around 1.4x a "typical" stamped AK for any given market, assuming a high-end AK is more like 2x.

I'm a big fan, so I'm biased, but if I found one around $1k in MA I'd jump on it quickly in this market. Realistically, I might expect to pay over $1500, and they're almost worth that. Think of it this way: Biden can buy it for you with his next stimulus.

Reasonable preban mags were very easy to find in quantity last time I checked, too.

ETA: In MA, in 2021, I doubt there'd be much difference in price between a Czechpoint and a CAI. Ordinarily the older Czechpoints would command a premium, but these days? I doubt it.

Last edited:
I agree that czechpoint guns are hovering in the $1500-$1750 range depending upon options. But this package takes the cake. If you bought it you could sell some of the accessories if you like to offset the cost....but I'd keep them ;):

pix474519227.jpg

Last edited:
I remember when Mosin 91/30s were sold by the crate of 6 for $500 on Classic Firearms. Buds had some sweet deals ten years ago as well. I remember thinking wow $600 is ridiculously expensive for a "PU" Mosin if all it has is a dinky little scope on it. Look where we are now hahaha. One of my biggest regrets is letting go of my SAM-7r some years ago. Buyer's an amazing guy though so glad it went to a good home.

Back
Top Bottom