• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi-auto rifle suggestions for massachusetts

Last edited:
wm_12068071.jpg
I know you said you're not into fixed mags, but this is classy AF.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

The price of entry into the AR/AK market is substantially cheaper today than it will be in the future, so set aside what you can reasonably budget for without selling a kidney and pick something up as soon as it crosses your path. It’s irrelevant what things cost previously, because you weren’t licensed then. Coca-Cola use to cost a nickel back in the 1950s (I think) and now you pay $2.00 for a soda... but you don’t complain about the inflation of that, right?

If you can get a pre-94 Colt AR lower or other reputable brand, you can build it out with almost any feature you want (no grenade launchers, unfortunately...) They exist, but you’ll pay close to the market value of a lower end AR. You can then marry that lower with what ever Gucci high end parts you want. Buy quality parts that are well known for reliability and your gear will last. Some brands might include BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Knights Armament, just to name-drop a few.

If you don’t want to go the AR route, there are alternatives that still utilize standard capacity USGI pre-ban 30 round magazines, such as the Scar 16 or Sig MCX, as well as bull pup varieties made by Tavor and Keltec to name some other alternatives. All have pros and cons, and mostly it’s a matter of preference.

There is literally so much information out there these days, you can lock yourself in your house for a week and binge watch YouTube and you’ll never get through it all...

For my money I’d buy an AR because it’s America’s rifle. Alternately, an AK pattern rifle had been used in every conflict around the world and is proven to operate in the most extreme environments. Alternates mentioned are currently not prohibited because they fail some of the similarity tests imposed, but that also impacts price and availability.

My opinion is you’ll easily be in the $3-5K range once all done, assuming $2K+ for a carbine, then optic and ammo. Make sure you get training so you can be proficient, and above all else, for God’s sake, make sure you look good LARPing with it... if you don’t look good, it doesn’t really matter, right?

post a pic when you get it and happy shopping!

My thoughts exactly. I have flirted with the idea of selling some of my rifles but have always decided to not part with any of them.

I thought you couldn’t register due to the “interchangeable parts” bit of the AWB

Healey's edict has no standing legally; it's all scare tactics and fear mongering to frighten FFLs into not selling ARs/AKs.

You just need to find a FFL who hasn't had their a**h*** puckered by the Fuhrer and buy from someone out of state to save yourself the increased MA prices.

Ooof. That seems very steep. I'll be impressed if it moves with that opening bid.
It is steep; especially when 3 years ago I’d go into Armour Sports and try to figure out how many days I’d have to eat Ramen Noodles to afford one at $1,250. I also think Czechpoint was selling the furniture separately from the batch they imported, so you could potentially replace the factory beaver barf with it, but I’m sure those are all long sold. You really need to see it to see it in person to appreciate it.

It is steep; especially when 3 years ago I’d go into Armour Sports and try to figure out how many days I’d have to eat Ramen Noodles to afford one at $1,250. I also think Czechpoint was selling the furniture separately from the batch they imported, so you could potentially replace the factory beaver barf with it, but I’m sure those are all long sold. You really need to see it to see it in person to appreciate it.
Mine looks just like that one on GB. I'll try to bust it out tomorrow for a photo.

Here it is. Hasty shot on my bathroom floor, but it's the only place that has good light today. The LimbSaver's not for recoil; it gives that extra 1/2-3/4" LOP that I want.

Such a gorgeous rifle.
I think if I had known about these when I got my Norinco I would have gotten one instead

That's a good option - especially if you're looking for something in 7.62x51. The HK91 is still in service in some countries and has been "modernized" to keep them in service.

I just ran across this video last week where they guy from Forgotten Weapons talks about the HK91 in modern service:

One other advantage - and I think it's a pretty major one , is that mags for the HK91 are very readily available - cheap - and legal in MA because they pre-ban - and actually dated right on the mag. You can get 20 rd used aluminum mags for like $7.00 each - STILL , even in the current buying mania.

SKS, battle proven, cheap (compared to others), ammo is still available & cheaper than most, fixed magazine helps keep it out of the gun grabbers radar (for now). Say what you like, but you can beat them and drag them through the mud and they still work. Plenty of aftermarket junk and parts for them too. Most even come with a folding sticker for barbecuing over the campfire. Everyone should have at least a couple. ;)
And don't wait for the prices to come down, they won't. The dumbocrats will shut off all imports (their working on that too) and prices will just go up. Saw two Chinese SKSs at Mass Armament a week or so ago, probably gone now but only wanted $500 each for them a steal today. They needed full cleaning.

Last edited:
Couple sks now is not happening when they go for close to $900, a crappy yugo and chinese ones. It is just not right.

Couple sks now is not happening when they go for close to $900, a crappy yugo and chinese ones. It is just not right.
The prices are the same for SKSs across the country. This is the very end before people will wish they bought them at the $900 mark. Will they go higher? I know they won't come down.

Back
Top Bottom