semi-auto rifle suggestions for massachusetts

The phrase "piston driven 7.62" alone could include a FAL. OP clearly is a newb to rifles - we should be providing him precise, accurate info, not vagueness. He doesn't know better.

I can find vz. 58 parts too, but based on posts like this:

I don't think OP yet has the resourcefulness to find parts, etc. for a proprietary gun.
Let alone, look through the classifieds on his own...?😝
Yes MA can be challenging to navigate but you need to put in some leg work too. The VZ is as much of an AK as an SKS, I get what he was sayin 7.62 piston. As a shooter and collector i popped my first cherry with an sks as many of us have.

Yes MA can be challenging to navigate but you need to put in some leg work too. The VZ is as much of an AK as an SKS, I get what he was sayin 7.62 piston. As a shooter and collector i popped my first cherry with an sks as many of us have.
B&K has a yugo 59/66 right now - for a $875. i saw it, is seems to be in a fair condition, but, a $900 for an sks... - :(

I disagree. That's what everyone said after sandyhook. How many dopes got stuck with ar15s they paid $2k for that were worth $700 9 months after sandy hook? I personally know 3 and warned every one of them yo wait to buy one......"but they are gonna pass laws to take em I need one now" 🙄

Same shit this time. By next fall the ammo shelves will be full (not that I give a shit I got plenty to last my typical range time for another year) and you'll be able to buy whatever you want for fire arms. The cycle continues.

It’s all good, different strokes for different folks. I’m not talking about a home build or a budget M&P15 someone is looking to flip for $2,500... I’m talking about either a quality factory build or a pre-94 lower with higher end build parts.

I totally agree, there are current-event type events or July 2016 that can drive the market, and some guys will exploit that while people just entering the market will scramble to get what they can get. But, there are also occasional NIB factory Colts, and similar rifles that still sell for close to market pricing. A $3,000 high-end rifle can only be marked up before it is priced out of the game. So my point was just that if someone was looking to get specifically into an AR platform they should do so now, because under the current administration there is the potential they will be more difficult to come by and probably priced as high, or even higher than they are now (unfortunately).

Again, totally agree it’s all generally cyclical. But buying something now isn’t a purely bad idea. It’s not all black and white. And when the market does turn, and shelves are full again with ammo, that’s the time to stock up because by that time, any new shooter now won’t be a new shooter then.

I’m not sure there is a right and wrong answer — what is “right” for someone, may not be for someone else.

It’s all good, different strokes for different folks. I’m not talking about a home build or a budget M&P15 someone is looking to flip for $2,500... I’m talking about either a quality factory build or a pre-94 lower with higher end build parts.

I totally agree, there are current-event type events or July 2016 that can drive the market, and some guys will exploit that while people just entering the market will scramble to get what they can get. But, there are also occasional NIB factory Colts, and similar rifles that still sell for close to market pricing. A $3,000 high-end rifle can only be marked up before it is priced out of the game. So my point was just that if someone was looking to get specifically into an AR platform they should do so now, because under the current administration there is the potential they will be more difficult to come by and probably priced as high, or even higher than they are now (unfortunately).

Again, totally agree it’s all generally cyclical. But buying something now isn’t a purely bad idea. It’s not all black and white. And when the market does turn, and shelves are full again with ammo, that’s the time to stock up because by that time, any new shooter now won’t be a new shooter then.

I’m not sure there is a right and wrong answer — what is “right” for someone, may not be for someone else.
an x95 is not too overpriced even right now and delivers a 16" barrel in the SBR form factor and pretty great efficiency. and can be shipped directly to any MA FFL. plus it seems to be overlooked in most AW legislations.

but, it is not an AR and not exactly a high precision platform, at all. but, is quite reliable and a pleasure to handle, after some upgrades.

an x95 is not too overpriced even right now and delivers a 16" barrel in the SBR form factor and pretty great efficiency. and can be shipped directly to any MA FFL. plus it seems to be overlooked in most AW legislations.

but, it is not an AR and not exactly a high precision platform, at all. but, is quite reliable and a pleasure to handle, after some upgrades.

Agree, a Tavor bulpup is a sexy option... not an AR, not a precision rifle, but offers a compact package and totally legal.

Agree, a Tavor bulpup is a sexy option... not an AR, not a precision rifle, but offers a compact package and totally legal.
i dropped a bit more money into it, with a geissele trigger and super sabra pack - it now has a 2.5# pull, nice crisp trigger with no overtravel.
shoots fine from a standing position too, again, with a proper sling use - at 100yds at a chest size steel target just fine, good hits every shot.
and most important part - no hassles to buy it, at all. just find a good looking one on gunbroker and ship to your local FFL. then get some 30rd pre-ban mags.

And it will eat anything you feed it.

I'm talking more about bread and butter ar platforms. Why buy one now when in 6 to 9 months you can get one for less than half the cost?

There’s actually not a single thing in common between a VZ58 and an AK outside of calibre. I had a Waffen Works VZ58; it’s a really impressive gun although it has the worst trigger of any rifle I’ve ever owned. I ultimately sold it. Czechpoint produced a model with reclaimed military furniture instead of beaver barf and I fell in love all over again. Awesome rifle, if you can find one....

FC3D1152-6C1B-4DBA-8F3F-A3D49FE9BF6E.jpeg

Last edited:
What about the current Democrat supermajority makes you think that'll happen?
211 rep to 221 dem house
50 50 senate (vice president dem)

Does not make a super majority.

Remember the conservatives own the scotus too.

There are a few dems that know they will lose their seat if they vote for large scale gun control like they lost them in 1994. Even Bill Clinton warned them against it a few years ago.

211 rep to 221 dem house
50 50 senate (vice president dem)

Does not make a super majority.

Remember the conservatives own the scotus too.

There are a few dems that know they will lose their seat if they vote for large scale gun control like they lost them in 1994. Even Bill Clinton warned them against it a few years ago.

Democrat president, Democrat House, split Senate with Democrat VP as tiebreaker. That makes 3/3 under D control. So why do you think the concern for gun control legislation and will fade in six to nine months?

And your confidence in the SCOTUS is misplaced when:
  1. any new overreach by the current administration will take months to years to reach SCOTUS, if ever
  2. there's a distinct lack of spine among SCOTUS for controversy generally and 2A cases specifically
  3. current talk of fundamental changes like packing the court would not favor 2A rights
Besides, why would D's in Congress worry about losing seats with Dominion machines counting their votes, MSM refusing to report evidence of fraud, and social media censoring anyone even questioning the outcome?

But all these observations are irrelevant. We're talking about buying guns now versus later but we know anyone shopping now hasn't been paying attention. The ideal window of opportunity has passed.

Avoid all of the AR compliant nonsense and get a Winchester 100 (.308 Win.) , Remington Woodsmaster 740/7400 (commonly available in .308 Win. & .30-06), Browning BAR or similar.
If you want military...MAS 49/56 or FN-49, M1, M1 Carbine, SKS, etc.

A shop near me has a Winchester 100 (.308 Win.), Remington 742 (.30-06), and a Remington 81 (.300 Savage) right now.

Last edited:
Avoid all of the AR compliant nonsense and get a Winchester 100 (.308 Win.) , Remington Woodsmaster 740/7400 (commonly available in .308 Win. & .30-06) or similar.
If you want military...MAS 49/56 or FN-49, M1, M1 Carbine, SKS, etc.
Post #58

i dropped a bit more money into it, with a geissele trigger and super sabra pack - it now has a 2.5# pull, nice crisp trigger with no overtravel.
shoots fine from a standing position too, again, with a proper sling use - at 100yds at a chest size steel target just fine, good hits every shot.
and most important part - no hassles to buy it, at all. just find a good looking one on gunbroker and ship to your local FFL. then get some 30rd pre-ban mags.

Attachments

• X95-2.jpg
    X95-2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 22
  • X95.jpg
    X95.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 22
M1A’s seem to have not been affected by the price surges recently. However, they are expensive to feed. Some people won’t even consider a battle rifle without a pistol grip, but I say there are advantages.

Back
Top Bottom