• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi-auto rifle suggestions for massachusetts

I can probably build an AR, I just don't know what things should cost. I probably can't find the parts...

I posted this in another thread, you can totally build an AR with a stripped lower for less than $600, a lot less if you hunt for deals and build with an 80%.
Most parts are still readily available. Just at slightly higher prices compared to a year ago. Unless you go bougie, then you're paying an arm/leg/first-born but those parts are in stock everywhere.

M1a, 7400, sks, ammo can be q problem and depending on the crap coming up over the next few weeks and how quickly the Republicans finish turning on us .:...who knows what if anything will be available.

Last edited:
A pre ban 30 rd Glock mag? :) damn. Does it cost now more than a cheap at?

OP was asking about a rifle, not a pcc.
Looking for recommendations for a mass legal general purpose semiauto rifle. Interested in ARs but not into the fixed mag thing, AK prices seem like they're through the roof. What should I be looking at/looking for? Also open to pistol caliber for range practice.

So! What ever happened with this, @river1988?

I'm late to the party, dislike ARs, and love (in this order) FALs, Vz58s, and AKs. I also have a CETME I sometimes enjoy. The folks in this thread who've advised to get whatever you can find ammo for are people you should listen to.

You can still find an SKS fairly cheaply, and that might be the most find-able ammo around...

So! What ever happened with this, @river1988?

I'm late to the party, dislike ARs, and love (in this order) FALs, Vz58s, and AKs. I also have a CETME I sometimes enjoy. The folks in this thread who've advised to get whatever you can find ammo for are people you should listen to.

You can still find an SKS fairly cheaply, and that might be the most find-able ammo around...
I’m just getting into the sport too and I’m looking at those sks’s. I like rifles with wood and steel.

Get a real battle rifle - a M1 Garand from the CMP, before they’re all out of them. Seriously, even in MA there is no reason not to get an “MSR” (Modern Sporting Rifle, Fudd speak for an AR/AK class rifle). The only good thing about the recent price run up of pre-bans is that the price of a Sig MCX Virtus or a Tavor X95 now looks reasonable. The most sensible thing in the current market is to get a stripped lower and build your own AR type rifle. Stripped lowers are very easy to complete and if you don’t want to get into building the upper, there are still plenty of complete uppers available for a reasonable price, shipped to you with no FFL involved. As others have said, just comply with the MA Assault Weapons Ban (pin/weld a break or get an unthreaded barrel, no bayonet lug, fixed stock) and you’re good to go.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

The price of entry into the AR/AK market is substantially cheaper today than it will be in the future, so set aside what you can reasonably budget for without selling a kidney and pick something up as soon as it crosses your path. It’s irrelevant what things cost previously, because you weren’t licensed then. Coca-Cola use to cost a nickel back in the 1950s (I think) and now you pay $2.00 for a soda... but you don’t complain about the inflation of that, right?

If you can get a pre-94 Colt AR lower or other reputable brand, you can build it out with almost any feature you want (no grenade launchers, unfortunately...) They exist, but you’ll pay close to the market value of a lower end AR. You can then marry that lower with what ever Gucci high end parts you want. Buy quality parts that are well known for reliability and your gear will last. Some brands might include BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Knights Armament, just to name-drop a few.

If you don’t want to go the AR route, there are alternatives that still utilize standard capacity USGI pre-ban 30 round magazines, such as the Scar 16 or Sig MCX, as well as bull pup varieties made by Tavor and Keltec to name some other alternatives. All have pros and cons, and mostly it’s a matter of preference.

There is literally so much information out there these days, you can lock yourself in your house for a week and binge watch YouTube and you’ll never get through it all...

For my money I’d buy an AR because it’s America’s rifle. Alternately, an AK pattern rifle had been used in every conflict around the world and is proven to operate in the most extreme environments. Alternates mentioned are currently not prohibited because they fail some of the similarity tests imposed, but that also impacts price and availability.

My opinion is you’ll easily be in the $3-5K range once all done, assuming $2K+ for a carbine, then optic and ammo. Make sure you get training so you can be proficient, and above all else, for God’s sake, make sure you look good LARPing with it... if you don’t look good, it doesn’t really matter, right?

post a pic when you get it and happy shopping!

This may be an unpopular answer, but I got a Mini 14 580-series

Nothing wrong with that. It's got pros and cons, as you'll find out. As long as it's reliable and you shoot it well? It was a good choice.

But, see, here's the thing. Until you post pics of it? It doesn't really exist...

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

The price of entry into the AR/AK market is substantially cheaper today than it will be in the future, so set aside what you can reasonably budget for without selling a kidney and pick something up as soon as it crosses your path. It’s irrelevant what things cost previously, because you weren’t licensed then. Coca-Cola use to cost a nickel back in the 1950s (I think) and now you pay $2.00 for a soda... but you don’t complain about the inflation of that, right?

If you can get a pre-94 Colt AR lower or other reputable brand, you can build it out with almost any feature you want (no grenade launchers, unfortunately...) They exist, but you’ll pay close to the market value of a lower end AR. You can then marry that lower with what ever Gucci high end parts you want. Buy quality parts that are well known for reliability and your gear will last. Some brands might include BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Knights Armament, just to name-drop a few.

If you don’t want to go the AR route, there are alternatives that still utilize standard capacity USGI pre-ban 30 round magazines, such as the Scar 16 or Sig MCX, as well as bull pup varieties made by Tavor and Keltec to name some other alternatives. All have pros and cons, and mostly it’s a matter of preference.

There is literally so much information out there these days, you can lock yourself in your house for a week and binge watch YouTube and you’ll never get through it all...

For my money I’d buy an AR because it’s America’s rifle. Alternately, an AK pattern rifle had been used in every conflict around the world and is proven to operate in the most extreme environments. Alternates mentioned are currently not prohibited because they fail some of the similarity tests imposed, but that also impacts price and availability.

My opinion is you’ll easily be in the $3-5K range once all done, assuming $2K+ for a carbine, then optic and ammo. Make sure you get training so you can be proficient, and above all else, for God’s sake, make sure you look good LARPing with it... if you don’t look good, it doesn’t really matter, right?

post a pic when you get it and happy shopping!
I disagree. That's what everyone said after sandyhook. How many dopes got stuck with ar15s they paid $2k for that were worth $700 9 months after sandy hook? I personally know 3 and warned every one of them yo wait to buy one......"but they are gonna pass laws to take em I need one now" 🙄

Same shit this time. By next fall the ammo shelves will be full (not that I give a shit I got plenty to last my typical range time for another year) and you'll be able to buy whatever you want for fire arms. The cycle continues.

I don’t get if you can even register a built AR in mass.
Simple, once you complete the build ( to AWB standards) you just eFA 10 it on the MA Gun Transaction Portal ( https://mircs.chs.state.ma.us/fa10/action/home?app_context=home&app_action=presentHome ) and use the “Registration” option. If you bought a stripper lower, you use the lower’s manufacture and serial number. If you used an 80%, use yourself (or anything else for that matter) as the manufacturer and NA (Not Applicable) as the serial number.

Cz vz-58

It's mass legal and amazing, stay away from the cheap ones out of Florida.

Its a AK with a better firing mechanism, completely open breech, and bolt hold open on last shot.

I have two VZ58 style guns. A Century parts gun and a Czechpoint.. They are wonderful guns and I have put my AKs in the back of the safe after shooting them. If you get a Century, grab a surplus gas piston. Their pistons were horrible in terms of quality. I had one bend up so bad that I had to cut it out of the gun. With the surplus piston, runs like a Swiss watch. Century's guns are a mixed bag...The Czechpoint guns are excellent. Mags are cheap an plentiful. I've got black synthetic furniture, blond wood, and "Beaver Barf" red pressed wood furninture to swap around as well. Get a bonesteel arms, slovak style muzzle break for $26 for the rifle and your jaw will drop on how effective it is.

Here is a little info on Century vs Czechpoint:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPJdr54YFg

Last edited:
You don't say what you want to do with it.

That said, a Ruger or HiPoint 9mm; a Remington 742 in 30-06, 308, 270, 260, or 243.

OR, a .22 LR semi-auto.

Last edited:
I have two VZ58 style guns. A Century parts gun and a Czechpoint.. They are wonderful guns and I have put my AKs in the back of the safe after shooting them. If you get a Century, grab a surplus gas piston. Their pistons were horrible in terms of quality. I had one bend up so bad that I had to cut it out of the gun. With the surplus piston, runs like a Swiss watch. Century's guns are a mixed bag...The Czechpoint guns are excellent. Mags are cheap an plentiful. I've got black synthetic furniture, blond wood, and "Beaver Barf" red pressed wood furninture to swap around as well. Get a bonesteel arms, slovak style muzzle break for $26 for the rifle and your jaw will drop on how effective it is.

Here is a little info on Century vs Czechpoint:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPJdr54YFg

The Vz58 needs to get more love here in MA. It's an amazing gun. Thanks to the Canadian market, there's plenty of aftermarket options for them. Mine's a Czechpoint, and as soon as I got it my four AKs dwindled to one. It's that good. It's light, handy, fires a readily available round, and preban mags are easy to find. Just a really well-designed rifle from a country where they take firearms seriously. Only problem is the short LOP.

Mine came with real wood. I've got most of a beaver-barf set, but I don't plan to switch it out.

Ok which one of you is going to sell me a VZ58?

Mine was $1100 about five years ago, and I think I was lucky to pay so little. Outside MA, the Czechpoints are still around a thousand. If you find one and can afford it, I'd strongly recommend it. The AK is a great gun, but the Vz58 is far better designed and more refined.

Back
Top Bottom