• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

semi auto for deer hunting

My Dad used a Remington 742 in 30-06 in "Stinkin' Lincoln" Maine, which took a LOT of deer over the years.

Then a quieter rifle is in order! Bolt action would be the best bet for quietest loading and chambering.
A NEF break-open is good, too. Just one click to shut it.

My Dad used a Remington 742 in 30-06 in "Stinkin' Lincoln" Maine, which took a LOT of deer over the years.

A NEF break-open is good, too. Just one click to shut it.
Actually that is where we hunt. Stay in Howland, and hunt in west Enfield.
With the mills down it don't stink much now.

The only discussion regarding how loud it is should be about going through the brush and sticks whipping against it, or any inherent rattles the gun may have. How much noise it makes when loading is a moot point, same with how loud the gunshot is... moot point.

Yeah, why not?
Power it down a notch there cowboy.....no issue with it from me. I was just wondering.....seen a few "cosmetic cans" out there and was curious if it was legit. It's legal in NH and many states to hunt suppressed so go for it dude.

Power it down a notch there cowboy.....no issue with it from me. I was just wondering.....seen a few "cosmetic cans" out there and was curious if it was legit. It's legal in NH and many states to hunt suppressed so go for it dude.

Would have had to had it powered up, to power it down. Text on a screen doesn't convey tone very well. ;)

300blk 110 Barnes black tips are pretty awesome out of that gun, and without the can it is a handy rifle to trudge through my woods with. Once I settled on a spot to sit, I put the can on because even the supersonic loads are still pretty quiet compared to 5.56.

I've hunted with a Ruger.44 for years. It's great for deer. In addition, I hunt with a 16" Marlin, .45 Long Colt. It's also great for deer with hand loads. Noise from the bolt has never been an issue with the Ruger .44, or the lever on the Marlin, .45 Long Colt and the heavy rounds knock them down really well.

I hunt in Georgia where the bag limit is 2 bucks and 10 does. I have killed 3 does in about 5 seconds and at least 3 other doubles with my BAR in 30-06. You drop the first deer and it reloads so fast they don't hear the action. The others freeze and then you drop the other one or more. It is my freezer filling machine.

I hunted with two old timers that used Ruger 44 Carbine deer hunting in northern NH. They liked that it was short and east to carry thru the brush; and the .44 had plenty of knockdown power. The only negative was that it was a pain to unload. I hunt with a bolt action 30.06 from a tree stand mostly, and noise never really is an issue. Lock the bolt or release the action slowly (just make sure it's seated)

Here is my go to gun when deer hunting. It is a Browning BAR in 30-06. It has had at least 3 double kills and one triple. You shoot one deer and the others freeze so you can drop another because they don't hear you reloading and spook. Semi autos are a great choice.

PS: I live in Georgia. We are allowed 2 bucks and 10 does. Move down here lots of deer low taxes, housing is inexpensive and plenty of jobs and almost no snow or very cold weather. The club I joined has 385 acres bordering up to 34,000 acres of public land.

Attachments

• 30-06 BAR .JPG
    30-06 BAR .JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Did I read somewhere that they want to start banning semi-auto's? Vermont?

I believe the only state they are banned is Pennsylvania. We had it passed last year, the Governor said he would sign semis into law and then it all fell apart. Of all things it was the hunting lobbies that killed it here. I would never switch from my suppressed bolt gun for deer but after I killed my buck it would be fun to take a 300BLK out for a doe or two.

I hunted with two old timers that used Ruger 44 Carbine deer hunting in northern NH. They liked that it was short and east to carry thru the brush; and the .44 had plenty of knockdown power. The only negative was that it was a pain to unload. I hunt with a bolt action 30.06 from a tree stand mostly, and noise never really is an issue. Lock the bolt or release the action slowly (just make sure it's seated)

My dad has the Ruger 44 mag Carbine he hunted with in Vt in the 60's. Just ease the bolt forward and make sure it's closed like any other semi auto. Ive hunted with all sorts of semi auto's A-5's, 11-87, BAR, 742 never an issue, even when loading in the stand.

I believe the only state they are banned is Pennsylvania. We had it passed last year, the Governor said he would sign semis into law and then it all fell apart. Of all things it was the hunting lobbies that killed it here. I would never switch from my suppressed bolt gun for deer but after I killed my buck it would be fun to take a 300BLK out for a doe or two.

Yes...PA has always been no semi autos for hunting back as long as I can remember. Not sure why, but yeah...I though that stupid law would go bye bye last year.

I keep hearing about 300 blackout ARs. Why not get a 308 AR 10 and down load your ammo to blackout velocities and have the best of both calibers? A lot of guys are doing this here in Georgia.

I keep hearing about 300 blackout ARs. Why not get a 308 AR 10 and down load your ammo to blackout velocities and have the best of both calibers? A lot of guys are doing this here in Georgia.

Why carry the extra weight and size of a rifle that probably won't cycle under powered ammo? I swap my 300blk upper onto my 556 gun a week or so before the season, check it for zero, then swap it off and put it back on the shelf at the end of the season. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom