• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Semi-Auto Degtyarev DP28 - Legal In Mass???

hatrick

NES Member
I would like to purchase one of the semi-automatic Russian DP28's that are being made by Military Gun Supply and I was wondering if they are legal to own in Mass and if they can be shipped here with all of the law changes and high capacity restrictions.

They are semi-auto only (BATF approved) re-builds using original 1950's parts kits and 1940's-50's manufactured magazines.

Here is a link:
http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_15&products_id=130

I have both my Massachustts Class A (high capacity) license and my Federal C&R collectors license.

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Eric

I see no reason why they'd be illegal. They definitely wouldn't qualify as C&R because the receivers are new production, so you'd have to transfer it through a dealer. Also the pan mags would have to be pre-ban, so if they're supplying them with newly produced mags then you're out of luck.

What do you need a gun like that for?

You'll shoot your eye out.

It's not like you can hunt with it?

That's just a killing machine; it has no other value

Sorry...I'm just feeling contrary today.

What do you need a gun like that for?

You'll shoot your eye out.

It's not like you can hunt with it?

That's just a killing machine; it has no other value

Will all Section Seven personnel scheduled for decontamination proceed to the Decontamination Unit in the Decontamination Dock for immediate decontamination.

I'll repeat that.

Will all Section Seven personnel scheduled for decontamination proceed to the Decontamination Unit in the Decontamination Dock for immediate decontamination.

Seriously...I've been fighting this ass nasty cold for three days and it's made my melon soft. I'll take my medication and be quiet now.

I am a WWII firearms/militaria collector and reenactor. This would be a nice fit for my collection if I can legally own it here in Mass. It would also be a lot of fun at the range.

Ignore Mr. Duke, he's just being goofy today [grin]. Just give Military Gun Supply a call and see if they're new or original refurbished mags. If they're originals, you should be good to go.

Last edited:
The mags are original 1940's or 1950's manufactured.

I called my local FFL and he said that the it wasn't Mass. compliant because of the high capacity mags. Is it that they can't ship the mags to Mass. or is it that the gun is considered new production and capable of accepting high capacity mags regardless of pre-ban mags??

It is all so confusing to me.... I'm hoping that this particular FFL is wrong and that it is ok to own here in Mass.

Any recommendation on a more knowledgeable FFL that might be able to help me out?? I live just east of Worcester.

Thanks,
Eric

Does it come with a coupon for ten visits to the chiroprachter to put your shoulder back together after shooting?

But, definitely looks interesting.

And the confusion goes on.... I called Zero Hour Arms and they say that they wouldn't do the transfer because it is a "gray area" gun where they aren't sure if it is or isn't ok so they don't want to risk losing their license for a $35 transfer.

I asked them who would be the definitive source of knowledge on if it is ok or not and they didn't know who to contact either. They said you can try the attorney general but I don't think that is a call I want to make.

I guess the search for a more knowledgeable FFL goes on....

Consider Carl at 4 Seasons 78 Winn Street in Woburn 781.932.3133. You might also talk to Mike at Titegroup which is directly across the street from the GOAL office at 30 Hudson St Northborough, MA 01532 508.393.8558.

And the confusion goes on.... I called Zero Hour Arms and they say that they wouldn't do the transfer because it is a "gray area" gun where they aren't sure if it is or isn't ok so they don't want to risk losing their license for a $35 transfer.

Yes, unfortunately this is typical. Even though it's absolutely legal, it just somehow sounds illegal. A lot of FFLs don't want to risk their licenses, and I don't blame them really. The state does not have anybody who you can write to for a determination. The AG's office is likely to blow you off.

Just keep calling around to see if you can get somebody to transfer it for you. Raoul Duke's suggestions are good ones to try. You also might try Blue Northern in Ayer. You might also try calling the Military Gun Supply and ask them if they've sold guns to MA and who they transferred through. Also keep in mind that it's perfectly legal for you to transfer a rifle through an out of state FFL, so you might try calling a few NH FFLs who might be more willing to transfer it. Though they might be suspicious as to why you aren't using an FFL in your own state.

Oh, the other thing you might try is having the gun sent to your FFL without any mags and then having the mags sent to you directly. That may make the FFL more willing to do the transfer. That would require MGS to work with you a bit though.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the help with this one. Mike from TiteGroup is going to help me out with the transfer. I also called Four Seasons and although I didn't talk to Carl, they are willing to do the transfer as well. I guess there are at least a few educated FFL's left out there.

Thanks again,
Eric

Great, Eric. Good to hear you got somebody who would do it. Mike will take good care of you, he's a good guy. Don't blame the FFLs who wouldn't do it too much, the MA laws are tough to figure out sometimes and it's usually wise for them to err on the side of caution.

You gotta promise to post pics when you get it!

Last edited:
I got one of these and I live in MA. All the mags a surplus so they are pre-ban. There is no evil pistol grip on it so it's like a big long rifle with a big mag. It is a little ammo picky but fun to shoot. The grip angle is a little weird when you are laying on the ground shooting it. I had a friend make a mount so that I couls stand up and shoot it.

DSC00819.jpg

I got one of these and I live in MA. All the mags a surplus so they are pre-ban. There is no evil pistol grip on it so it's like a big long rifle with a big mag. It is a little ammo picky but fun to shoot. The grip angle is a little weird when you are laying on the ground shooting it. I had a friend make a mount so that I couls stand up and shoot it.
You just have all the cool shit bro.

My goodness, somebody needs to get one of these to a members shoot.

**Hint **Hint**Cough** Kingson**Cough**Hint** [wink]

Ahh, the one shoot I missed. I was half busting your chops, I would never expect another member to choose their shoot hardware based on my desire to droll on it.

I got no probem bring anything that someone wants to shoot. I can shoot them anytime but other people my never get a chance to shot some of the things that I have. I'm just trying to share the love. I was half thinking of doing a Russian theme at the next shoot that I go to. I have alot of the guns that the Russians used in WWII, I have the Maxim, DP-28, SVT-40 PPSH-41, TT-33, Nagant revolver, M91, M91/30, M38, M44. I will have to see what I'm missing.

Back
Top Bottom