• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling transfering

HFMR

NES Member
Just curious if the paperwork for selling/transferring a Firearm in Mass is all online now? About to sell a firearm and making sure that after both parties verify we each have a valid LTC it’s only a matter of filling out the online forms?

Four personal transfers. And you can validate their license on the frb site prior to the transfer.

FRB website? Just not sure of the acronym…Firearms review board?
Close. DCJIS/FRB is Department of Criminal Justice Information Services Firearms Records Bureau

here's the portal link, if you don't have it:

Does the 4 per year apply if you sell to a gun store?
No. Only face to face, private sales. If it goes to/through a licensed dealer you have no such responsibility.

Bringing back an old post but are there actually any implications if you do sell more than 4 per year?

Bringing back an old post but are there actually any implications if you do sell more than 4 per year?
I have only ever heard of one person that had a problem and he did somewhere in the neighborhood of 130 plus transfer in a year, he told his story on this forum years ago, pretty sure after going to court he got off with a minor slap on the wrist and was able to get his licence back.....

As a MA refugee,
I don't know how you guys can stand it.
While its gay af, selling 4 a year personal is low on the scale of can't stand it things in this state.

As it many people don't sell even that many, and in most cases you can do a dealer transfer anyway.

While its gay af, selling 4 a year personal is low on the scale of can't stand it things in this state.

As it many people don't sell even that many, and in most cases you can do a dealer transfer anyway.
with the EO's Obama put in place after sandy hook, even the feds recognize more than 4 personal transfers a year as dealing in firearms and should require an FFL. That was brought up in the court case with the guy that did the 130 transfers hear in MA.

It's not just the selling limit in MA that's a factor, it's what you can buy or sell, or own.
I've seen, handled, purchased and sold guns and hi-cap magazines that guys in MA, like me, could only fantasize about.
Like my 33rd 9mm and .40 mags for my Aero Survival Rifle with a collapsible stock, removable barrels, and multi caliber capability.

Last edited:
That’s great but I was asking about implications for doing more than 4 personal firearm transfers in a given year and what would happen, if anything, if you were to sell 5

No one breaks down your door if you hit five.

hillman answered this for you on his post already.
I've purchased from a few sellers who did <10 transfers in a year, and AFAIK they aren't in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison yet.

That’s great but I was asking about implications for doing more than 4 personal firearm transfers in a given year and what would happen, if anything, if you were to sell 5
I think a few people here know the answer to that. Last I remember hearing it's not the best experience.

hillman answered this for you on his post already.
I've purchased from a few sellers who did <10 transfers in a year, and AFAIK they aren't in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison yet.
I can tell you for a fact that selling 7, 8, or even 9 in one year won't even get you a "cut it out" letter.

Back
Top Bottom