Selling Stripped Glock Frame In MA Question

EzGoingKev

NES Member
My friend bought a stripped Glock Gen3 frame from an FFL. I just picked up a Gen5 gun and he likes that. He is thinking about selling his stripped Gen3 frame and buying a new complete Gen5.

The frame is still stripped so no EFA10 was done in his name. If he wanted to to sell it what would he have to do?

He bought the gun from a FFL. Nothing else gets done.
Efa10 is face to face transactions.
He did not buy a gun, he bought a frame - by Mass law that is not a gun, which is why no FA-10 was filed.

OP - I think legally he can go sell the frame to anyone without any paperwork. However, I would strongly recommend that he get a bill of sale at least.

This is the problem with the whole stripped frame issue in MA. If it turns out the person he sells it to doesn’t have a valid LTC and somehow the state figures it out, you can bet they’ll make him a test case. While IANAL, my advice would be at minimum use the fa-10 portal to generate a LTC validation, print that out and get a bill of sale to cover your ass

He did not buy a gun, he bought a frame - by Mass law that is not a gun, which is why no FA-10 was filed.
According to MA, he did not buy a gun. According to the feds, he did. Just want to be precise here. But yeah, no efa10 necessary for a MA FTF.

This is the problem with the whole stripped frame issue in MA. If it turns out the person he sells it to doesn’t have a valid LTC and somehow the state figures it out, you can bet they’ll make him a test case. While IANAL, my advice would be at minimum use the fa-10 portal to generate a LTC validation, print that out and get a bill of sale to cover your ass

You cannot fill out an FA-10 as its not a firearm in MA, and you have no information on barrel length. Youd be filing false information

There is no problem if the seller has a brain in their head. Mandatory copies of drivers and LTC should be taken at time of sale, proving they had LTC (if in MA) and lived in the same state (federal law) seller does.

Along with signed and dated paperwork stating current state and federal laws at time of sale. Which should cover you in event of inevitable changes to laws.

If I was selling a lower in ANY state id be doing the above.

Last edited:
You cannot fill out an FA-10 as its not a firearm and you have no information on barrel length. Youd be filing false information

There is no problem if the seller has a brain in their head. Mandatory copies of drivers and LTC should be taken at time of sale. Along with signed paperwork stating current state and federal laws at time of sale. Which should cover you in event of inevitable changes to laws. Just under surre

If I was selling a lower in ANY state id be doing the above.
There's a section on the portal to VALIDATE an LTC. Meaning it will show active suspended, revoked, or elsewise other information.

Screenshot_20200224-092613.png

There is no problem if the seller has a brain in their head. Mandatory copies of drivers and LTC should be taken at time of sale, proving they had LTC (if in MA) and lived in the same state (federal law) seller does.
This. No way in hell I'd sell a frame to someone that didn't have a LTC - even if it's legal to sell it to someone without a LTC.

You cannot fill out an FA-10 as its not a firearm in MA, and you have no information on barrel length. Youd be filing false information
Which is why I said “generate a LTC validation” as opposed to fill out an FA-10. By using the validation check you cover your ass by making sure the license is gtg, and it actually gives you a state generated pdf that you can keep for your records with a bill of sale. Remember it’s not paranoia if they’re really out to get you, so go the extra mile and cya.

The frame is not a firearm under Mass law. There is no legal distinction between selling a Glock frame and a garden shovel in Massachusetts. Either can be turned into a gun, but neither is currently a gun. If you really want to pick nits, a Handgun can be possessed in the home with an FID card (see Morin v Leahy), so even if the person turns the frame or shovel into a handgun, as long as he or she is at home, there's no crime.

The frame is not a firearm under Mass law. There is no legal distinction between selling a Glock frame and a garden shovel in Massachusetts. Either can be turned into a gun, but neither is currently a gun. If you really want to pick nits, a Handgun can be possessed in the home with an FID card (see Morin v Leahy), so even if the person turns the frame or shovel into a handgun, as long as he or she is at home, there's no crime.
You are 100% correct, and you are free not to cover your ass and risk being the test case in a state where the AG and a good part of your peers would be fine with going outside of the letter of the law to screw you. I for one wouldn’t do it nor would I recommend that anyone else do it. Especially when covering yourself by verifying that the buyer has a valid license costs nothing.

If it is sold get a copy of the buyers LTC and a signed receipt with the serial number on the signed receipt

because you can bet your bottom dollar of that frame gets sold a 2nd time after you sell it and something happens that triggers a trace on it the ATF will be knocking at your door

so best to have some solid proof where it went and just send them on their way down the line

Back
Top Bottom