• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling rifle to person: CT to MA

Possibly have a buyer for my M1A but from his profile it looks like he lives in Mass. With CT requiring no paperwork on long arms, what do I need to do in order to sell the rifle privately to somebody in Mass?

I'm not looking to mess anything up or get in trouble. Looking to follow all laws.

Last edited:
Possibly have a buyer for my M1A but from his profile it looks like he lives in Mass. With CT requiring no paperwork on long arms, what do I need to do in order to sell the rifle privately to somebody in Mass?

I'm not looking to mess anything up or get in trouble. Looking to follow all laws.

Interstate private (FTF) transfers are prohibited by Federal law. A FFL must effect the transfer. You have two options:

1. Buyer travels to CT and a FFL effects the transfer. (14 day waiting period)
2. You ship rifle to buyer's MA FFL who effects the transfer.

Last edited:
So he could meet me at my local dealer and do everything there?

Let me rephrase that. It has to go through an FFL. It could be an FFL in any state.

Yes, he could meet you at your local dealer in CT. I'm not that familiar with CT laws, but I believe that CT has a waiting period if you don't have a CT permit. So he might end up having to return to the dealer at a later date to pick it up.

ETA: Kevlar beat me to it.

This is so much more of a hassle than dealing with somebody locally in CT. Hehe....oh what to do. From his pm I think he thought we could just meet up FTF, but once I saw MA I knew it had to be harder than that.

This is so much more of a hassle than dealing with somebody locally in CT. Hehe....oh what to do. From his pm I think he thought we could just meet up FTF, but once I saw MA I knew it had to be harder than that.

It's not that much of a hassle. You meet him at an FFL, he pays you money, you give the rifle to the FFL, he fills out paperwork at the FFL and you skeedaddle. He has to come by a week later to pick it up.

Gonna call my shop tomorrow. I think this may work out after all. He knew we had to go through a dealer.

Interstate private (FTF) transfers are prohibited by Federal law. A FFL must effect the transfer. You have two options:

1. Buyer travels to CT and a FFL effects the transfer. (7 day waiting period)
2. You ship rifle to buyer's MA FFL who effects the transfer.

If the Mass. guy has a Ct. LTC, he can take it that day as well. Without the ( I thought) 14 day waiting period.
Last I knew it was 14 day wait?

KK

Naw he doesn't...he is actually on this board. He has no problem with coming down my way at my FFL so it looks like this will happen sometime next week....

Now to start shopping for my new toy :)

If the Mass. guy has a Ct. LTC, he can take it that day as well...

True, that is one of several exemptions...

...the provisions of this subsection shall not apply to any federal marshal, parole officer or peace officer, or to the delivery at retail of (1) any firearm to a holder of a valid state permit to carry a pistol or revolver issued under the provisions of section 29-28 or a valid eligibility certificate issued under the provisions of section 29-36f, (2) any firearm to an active member of the armed forces of the United States or of any reserve component thereof, (3) any firearm to a holder of a valid hunting license issued pursuant to chapter 490, or (4) antique firearms...

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-37a.htm

...Last I knew it was 14 day wait?

Yes, you're right. I was thinking 14, but typed 7 for some reason. Thanks.

Fun little tidbit. I called Hoffmans in Middletown, CT. I've bought from them a lot and plan to buy my next gun from there as well so figured that would be a good spot to do the transfer. I asked about transferring long arms to a person between CT and MA and they insist you just need a bill of sale. Even for out of state transfers.

Obviously, from everything I read and heard here, this isn't correct. There fee is $50 and it is a 14 day wait. I have to check one other place near me and see if they do transfers and how much it is.

MA has a restriction on magazines with a max of 10 rounds. Was this ever mentioned?

Why should the seller even care? It's the buyer's responsibility to know and comply with his state's laws.

I've sold pistols to members here in MA and I do not inquire about LTCs or any of that other crap. None of my business. They send me a valid FFL and I ship it. If the buyer can't legally possess the pistol and/or magazines, they should not have bought it from me.

Let me be perfectly CLEAR. I follow and comply with the laws that I am responsible for. I do NOT babysit buyers WRT the laws THEY have to comply with.

Back
Top Bottom