selling out of state

Hi guys quick question. A buddy of mine wants to by my rifle off me (bolt action .308). Now he lives in VT and iv never sold out of state. So my question is what do I need to do to sell him this rifle?

Iv true to find out what to do serching online but i just end up more confused then when I started.

Thanks in advance
john

All interstate firearm transfers must go through an FFL (with some exceptions, none of which apply here). Normally, a long gun could be transferred by an FFL in either VT or MA, but dealers in MA can only transfer to MA residents (this is due to MA law, not federal law). Thus, the transfer will have to be done at a VT FFL.

You could meet him in person at the FFL, or ship it to the FFL. If you're going to ship it, make sure you contact the FFL first. While it is legal for you to ship directly to an FFL, some will only accept inbound transfers from another FFL.

All interstate firearm transfers must go through an FFL (with some exceptions, none of which apply here). Normally, a long gun could be transferred by an FFL in either VT or MA, but dealers in MA can only transfer to MA residents (this is due to MA law, not federal law). Thus, the transfer will have to be done at a VT FFL.

You could meet him in person at the FFL, or ship it to the FFL. If you're going to ship it, make sure you contact the FFL first. While it is legal for you to ship directly to an FFL, some will only accept inbound transfers from another FFL.

this.

drive or ship to VT gun dealer. call dealer prior for details, including the fee to transfer, which typically ranges anywhere from $15 to $40.

A NH dealer could do it too if you both happen to be hanging around NH.

If shipping, I would ship any accessories directly to your friend to avoid the dealer loosing them.

another reason is that he probably cannot lawfully possess a firearm in MA, whereas you can lawfully possess in VT.

so you either take the rifle to VT and do FFL transfer in person or have it shipped to FFL in VT who is willing to accept it. the ATF website specifies requirements for shipping long guns.....if i recall it's UPS/Fedex 2nd day air or something I don't remember exactly...i usually just look it up each time.

another reason is that he probably cannot lawfully possess a firearm in MA, whereas you can lawfully possess in VT.

Rifles and shotguns can legally by possessed by non-residents traveling in or through MA as long as they are unloaded and enclosed within a case (MGL Ch 140 Sec 129c, exception (h))

Rifles and shotguns can legally by possessed by non-residents traveling in or through MA as long as they are unloaded and enclosed within a case (MGL Ch 140 Sec 129c, exception (h))

aware but this leaves way too much open for interpretation.
either way its risky to possess a firearm in this state w/o an LTC or FID.

aware but this leaves way too much open for interpretation.
either way its risky to possess a firearm in this state w/o an LTC or FID.

You guys are focusing on transport. The problem has to do with possession. The buyer couldn't do the transfer in MA because the dealer couldn't effect a transfer legally. (Needs a resident FID/LTC )

The feds don't care, as long as its handled by a FFL.

If possession was legal for the non-resident, he'd also be protected by the safe passage portion of the FOPA.

That why the instruction was to take it or ship it to a VT dealer. His instuctions were 100% complete. Get the gun to VT however you want. And do the transfer at a FFL. Done. No need to complicate things.

what YOU quoted was INCOMPLETE

for someone that writes, "nothing more needs to be said" you can sure clutter a thread

my work is done here, i must move on, my people need me

VrQfFcO.gif

Last edited:
You guys are focusing on transport. The problem has to do with possession. The buyer couldn't do the transfer in MA because the dealer couldn't effect a transfer legally. (Needs a resident FID/LTC )

The feds don't care, as long as its handled by a FFL.

If possession was legal for the non-resident, he'd also be protected by the safe passage portion of the FOPA.

I said nothing about an FFL transfer.
the VT resident could come do a FTF w a MA resident.
aside from the FA10 issue, my point is i wouldnt want to be a VT resident possessing a firearm in MA. I think we are saying the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

for someone that writes, "nothing more needs to be said" you can sure clutter a thread

+1 on this

Back to the beginning.

This is all that needs to be said. How is this incomplete?

You could meet him in person at the FFL, or ship it to the FFL.

If you're going to ship it, make sure you contact the FFL first. While it is legal for you to ship directly to an FFL, some will only accept inbound transfers from another FFL.

aside from the FA10 issue, my point is i wouldnt want to be a VT resident possessing a firearm in MA. I think we are saying the same thing.

REALLY!!

They both could also end up cell-mates at a Federal Penitentiary for following your advice!

I suggest that you NOT give advice without appropriate knowledge about the topic.

Feds REQUIRE that all transfers between individuals who do NOT reside in the same state MUST be done by an FFL (long guns = any FFL, handguns FFL ONLY in the state of the new owner)!

my work is done here, i must move on, my people need me

Thats because I'm trying to prevent the spread of bad advice.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Like this. (psst. not legal. I'm not saying not to do it. But its best to not discuss on an internet forum if you are planning to go this way)

Like this. (psst. not legal. I'm not saying not to do it. But its best to not discuss on an internet forum if you are planning to go this way)

And it is 1000 times worse to give that as "advice" to others! Personally I don't give a damn what people do with the info I supply them, that is there business. But it pays to be informed of what is illegal and what is legal before they decide to do something and inadvertently end up in a Federal Courthouse on the wrong side of the law. They will gladly jack up good folks who screw up a lot faster than the perps and gang bangers out there!

The kind of advice that Don and I flagged also violates the rules that were set-up when NES began, where posting advice to break the law was not allowed. I'm out of the loop and will not play "junior mod" so I have no idea if those rules changed or merely no current mod has seen it yet. Regardless, it is very unwise to post that sort of stuff and yes these forums are trolled by LE and AG's office and it doesn't take much to obtain the IP address and thus physical address of any poster on any forum!

- - - Updated - - -

+1 on this

yup my bad i forgot across state requires FFL...duh.
brain not working so well.
and no i am not recommending that.

the point i attemtped to make (before saying wrong stuff) is that i personally would not allow my friend from out of state possess/acquire/transport my firearm in MA.....doesnt seem wise......just my fat opinion others would do otherwise.

the point i attemtped to make (before saying wrong stuff) is that i personally would not allow my friend from out of state possess/acquire/transport my firearm in MA.....doesnt seem wise......just my fat opinion others would do otherwise.

I agree completely. Which is why I suggested the MA resident (seller) bring or ship the gun to a VT dealer.

Thanks for the mea culpa.

By the way. We all make mistakes. On several occasions, I've missed a detail and Len or someone else points out my oversight.

I'd suggest you delete any posts with bad info, just in case someone reads them and moves before reading the followup posts.

Don

I agree completely. Which is why I suggested the MA resident (seller) bring or ship the gun to a VT dealer.

Thanks for the mea culpa.

By the way. We all make mistakes. On several occasions, I've missed a detail and Len or someone else points out my oversight.

I'd suggest you delete any posts with bad info, just in case someone reads them and moves before reading the followup posts.

Don

Really, YOU suggested that?

NO you OMITTED the VT paragraph when you QUOTED mlaboss's post. You're delirious. This thread was perfect until you posted.

OK, now if he (the Mass. resident) were selling to an out of state dealer/FFL, would an FA10 still be necessary for the Mass. resident to show that the sale occurred?

OK, now if he (the Mass. resident) were selling to an out of state dealer/FFL, would an FA10 still be necessary for the Mass. resident to show that the sale occurred?

The answer is "it depends on who you ask". The only way to report such a sale would be with a paper FA10, as the eFA10 system can't handle transfers to out-of-state FFLs. Once the new law goes fully into effect, paper FA10s will no longer be accepted. Unless the electronic system has some means of reporting sales via out-of-state FFLs, there will be no way to report them.

The easiest and I think best way to accomplish this is to ship by using a Mass FFL to do it all, even if its a gun you could ship direct to the out of state FFL. Get the FFL's state dealer number (not the same as his FFL number, its like an LTC number but for dealers) and go on the MIRCS site and do a transfer as though you were selling to another MA licensee but instead fill out the box at the bottom of the personal transfer screen which says "State Firearms Dealer License No.:*"

Now there's a trail of the gun going from you to the dealer who shipped it out of state.

The answer is "it depends on who you ask". The only way to report such a sale would be with a paper FA10, as the eFA10 system can't handle transfers to out-of-state FFLs. Once the new law goes fully into effect, paper FA10s will no longer be accepted. Unless the electronic system has some means of reporting sales via out-of-state FFLs, there will be no way to report them.

Michaela told me that paper forms will still be available. Problem is that no PD that I know of has them now, never mind when they change the electronic system!

Michaela told me that paper forms will still be available. Problem is that no PD that I know of has them now, never mind when they change the electronic system!

For all intents and purposes, the paper FA10 forms do not exist. As you said, none of the PDs have them, and good luck getting them sent to you! If they want out-of-state FFL sales reported, then they should update the online system to allow for it!

Back
Top Bottom