Selling gun (rifle) out of state

I'm wondering what steps are required to sell a rifle out of state(NH). A friend wants to buy a rifle that I'm selling and I was wondering what needs to be done. I've sold him a pistol in the past and went the route of me transferring to a MA FFL, MA FFL transferring to a NH FFL, NH FFL transferring to my friend. Although the MA FFL told me that I could transfer directly to my friend in NH, he was willing to go through the song and dance for me. So, did I need to go through that, and more importantly, do I need to go through that for a long arm. It's a Yugo M48a mauser, so no pre/post ban business.

Thanks

Edited to add: I tried searching the forum, but most questions seem to be about buying from out of state.

Last edited:
...most questions seem to be about buying from out of state.
Hint 1: It's an interstate transaction covered by federal rules, not MA rules.
Hint 2: Your friend would be buying from out of state.
Shucks this is just too easy: It needs to go through an FFL.

Last edited:
KMaurer and M1911,

Thanks for answering my next questions without me even having to ask! That will make my life a little easier :)

As an aside, did I do the correct thing by going through two FFLs for the pistol transfer? I got a lot of flack from my friend and the local FFL, even though the local FFL was nice enough to do it, free of charge.

Only need 1 FFL in buyer's state for pistol transfer. Most FFLs refuse to receive guns from a non-FFL when being shipped to them, so you have to ask receiving FFL first. It's a "full employment" thing for FFLs, not required to have 2 FFLs on any transaction per BATFE.

Back
Top Bottom