Selling collection

Morning all,

I swear there was a thread not too long ago in here about someone looking to sell off a good number of guns and there was good advice offered but I can't seem to find it through the search function.

Anyways I've come to the conclusion that I need to thin the herd rather severely to fund some other purchases I need to make in life. They are all milsurps and first pass looking at my spreadsheet there are 20 of them at-least that I want to unload, does anyone have any experience selling a large collection. I would think that gunbroker or through a site like NES here may yield the best return, are there any gun shops locally in MA that come out and take a look at a large collection to buy in bulk and offer a decent price?

I have never sold off a collection, but my 2 cents is that if you just want to offload them and need quick cash, I would think most gun shops would take them off your hands or a local ‘gun buyer’ that puts them online. If you are not in a rush and want more money, maybe consignment would be a better option at a shop. If you want the most $ for them and dont mind dealing with tire kickers, shipping, meetups etc, than probably either NES classifides or GunBroker would be a good option.

I am in the process of selling off the majority of my collection (primarily modern, only 2 milsurps) since last August due to an upcoming move and some other things. I have dual listed everything on NES and Armslist. I have had much greater success on Armlist, but the trade-off from listing there is you will get a fair number of spam/scam emails. I have yet to list anything on Gunbroker, mainly as I would prefer to avoid the whole shipping aspect, but may do so with some of the items that haven’t attracted much attention locally.

I know doing individual sales can be a pain, but you are going to get lowballed by selling them as a collection. I remember the last thread and the consensus was to use B&K in Natick, what had done this for a few others as well. As a C&R holder and collector of Milsurps I would lover to see your list as I'm sure would every C&R collector on NES. If you're selling a Luger P08, DIBS!!! Seriously though, post them up as a list in the WTS section and see what interest you get.

Here or The CMP Forums are good venues, of you have the time. Selling a large-ish collection to a gun store will mean 40cents on the dollar if you're lucky (you'll effectively be wholesaling them, after all.)

No gunshop is giving you a good price. They are buying to resell and part of their business is to turn a profit.
The advice in the other thread was to list them here and let the NES collectors have a chance to buy them. You will make mare and hopefully the buyers will be happy as well. Milsurps have been drying up so people love to get a chance at something they haven't seen for a while.

I’m not sure who it was but I think they had BK sales do the consignment.
Selling guns is a pita if you want them to move price them right if in mass you can do 4 personal then the rest through FFL either in state or ship out.
You can do a auction your going to pay fees but honestly for what I see guns going for at these auctions your bound to do well.
List your guns here and get your shipping straight for CR sales.

Appreciate everyone's posts so far and confirms what I was thinking about selling individually vs a group dump to a store etc. I'm certainly a collector first and want to see them go to a home where they will be appreciated. Time to compile the list, research the current prices and start taking some photos.

I've sold about 30 this past year through this forum, K98k, GunBoards, and Gun Broker. Do a couple of listings a day and cross-pollinate on multiple forums.

t

59efa3121400003a1b8c97c1.jpg

CMP forum, gunboards, gunbroker, all are good. I'd start with the forums first since there's no fees there. I've sold on all 3 and on this forum and never had a problem on any (except here with a couple of flakes/no-shows)

But if you're going to consign, there's really only one place to do that - Four Seasons. They will have more visibility there than any other shop.

I trust you're keeping the G43.

t

I'll tell ya I'm not 100% sure. At this point in life its been a pleasure to shoot and to hold onto, and to take out and just handle it and all the rest, but its time to make some choices and it may come down to everything except the modern stuff going, or trying to sell.

CMP forum, gunboards, gunbroker, all are good. I'd start with the forums first since there's no fees there. I've sold on all 3 and on this forum and never had a problem on any (except here with a couple of flakes/no-shows)

But if you're going to consign, there's really only one place to do that - Four Seasons. They will have more visibility there than any other shop.
More visibility, yes. However, most of FS clientele is looking for modern guns, not C&Rs. B&K probably sells more C&Rs than modern guns and where I'd be inclined to go for those old guns.

if you have anything that's higher end, i suggest you try gunbroker. for everything else gunboards is good. NES if great for face to face transactions but if you are willing to ship , i have had better luck with Gunboards as it seems more across the U.S.
bs
of course , i would prefer to guilt you into putting it on NES to keep it in the family.... Dibs on russian SKS and I will stand in line behind majspud on the mausers

More visibility, yes. However, most of FS clientele is looking for modern guns, not C&Rs. B&K probably sells more C&Rs than modern guns and where I'd be inclined to go for those old guns.

Not really. I watch Four Seasons' used gun website several times a day and the C&Rs do not last long at all unless they're bubba'd or crap. The modern stuff hangs around for weeks or months. Garands and carbines in particular fly outta there.

Time to start photographing the kit! If I saw just wanted to share with like minded milsurp people here am I allowed to post a list of the collection sans prices? Or does that need to go up on the classifieds first?

Not my place say if it ok to post without prices but if you want PM me the list and I’ll proof read it

If you post it here, you'll have a feeding frenzy. Took me a couple hours to post 6 in the WTS forum the other day. One already sold. Like I said, just do a few a day.

t

Time to start photographing the kit! If I saw just wanted to share with like minded milsurp people here am I allowed to post a list of the collection sans prices? Or does that need to go up on the classifieds first?
I'm not sure if its OK but maybe post a list here and have a see WTS section for prices.
I know it would be easier for me to just scan the list.
Do you have any WWII carcano ?

how much for the lot? :D

seriously though...there's at least one guy every six months that does this here and then ends up taking the collection to B&K...lol.

cut the foreplay and post a list for us so we can start cutting each others throats...don't worry, we'll all be friends again next week.

p.s. i bet the MOD's wouldn't blink an eye at you posting a list here...they'll probably just be happy that the 'milsurp crowd' is quiet as we all clamor to find the change in between the couch cushions to buy your guns.

i'd be interested in a model or two that shall remain un named so as to not create a stir (and keep my cards where only I can see them...lol)

Back
Top Bottom