• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling a registered MA handgun to Maine resident

So I'm selling a handgun which I legally own in MA to a resident of Maine. I know I have to ship the firearm to his local FFL. They sent me over the special form for the Post Office.

My question is about the MA laws. Do I need to have it sent via a MA FFL to his ME FFL or can I just head down to the post office and send it there myself?

I've searched here and read both ways as correct, and both ways as wrong. Just trying to do what is right.

If you are not an 01 or 07 FFL, DO NOT try to send a firearm through USPS. Easiest and most legal way to do it is to use an FFL to send it, especially if it is a handgun.

You cannot ship a handgun via US Snail unless you hold an FFL and have form PS1508 on file at the post orifice.

You can ship a handgun directly to an FFL in another state via common carrier. If using UPS, you need to go to a shipping depot (or have them pick it up); you cannot use a "UPS Store".

The most common, and easiest, procedure is to have your local FFL ship it to the Maine FFL.

This seems odd. The FFL in ME faxed me a USPS form with their address that authorizes shipment. It's a form 1508, "Statement by Shipper of Firearms". They seemed to think that me using their PS1508 was legit.

I'll give me local FFL a call later today to see if they can send it.

This seems odd. The FFL in ME faxed me a USPS form with their address that authorizes shipment. It's a form 1508, "Statement by Shipper of Firearms". They seemed to think that me using their PS1508 was legit.

Smart move. Just let them handle it so your hands are clean.

Only an FFL may ship a handgun by US Snail and then only in the ordinary course of business.

For PS1508 is for use ONLY by FFL holders (no, the 03 C&R FFL is not included). Anyone who told you otherwise is wrong.

I appreciate the help, guys. Seems like the FFL was willing to let me try sending it out posing as them. Good way to get in trouble in MA.
Actually, the issue here is federal, not state. And the postal inspectors are a tough bunch :)

Actually, the issue here is federal, not state. And the postal inspectors are a tough bunch :)

Even tougher than library cops?

View attachment 161755

Was it Albuquerque? A distracted mom ignored her children long enough that they picked up some pebbles or stones and put them in a blue upright mailbox. When she told the postal worker who complained about the kids behavior to get bent, .gov bent her over the hood of her car and gave her the rubber glove treatment.

So yeah, unless you're overdue for a prostate exam... [rofl]

I was about to ask this same question. I called my local ffl and was told I can just send it myself to an ffl but after reading this I think I'll get a second and third opinion. So basically if I'm selling privately, Gun broker online or similar, I should find an ffl who will ship it for me?

I was about to ask this same question. I called my local ffl and was told I can just send it myself to an ffl but after reading this I think I'll get a second and third opinion. So basically if I'm selling privately, Gun broker online or similar, I should find an ffl who will ship it for me?

The following assumes an interstate sale (not MA to MA).

It's probably cheaper to do it that way and less hassle via FFL to FFL, but NOT required by law. You'd need the buyer's FFL to send a signed copy of his FFL to your FFL. I'd have the buyer pick up the costs of your FFL and shipping as part of the deal.

FTF is fine with eFA-10 but ONLY between 2 residents of the same state (Federal law applies here). Handguns interstate must be transferred by an FFL in the new owner's state (again Federal law).

Just to expand on Len's post.

For an interstate transaction it is very simple. You can:

1) Ship the handgun to the FFL in Maine on your own via UPS or Fedex. (one of them may not do it anymore, I forget which one). They will require you to ship overnight. This will cost $60 to $80. But it is perfectly legal. Get a copy of the receiving dealer's FFL before shipping. Also go onto the ATF EZ Check web sight and confirm the license is valid. ( https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck ). Not too much of a hassle. Legal. Simple. Also, confirm the receiving FFL will take a shipment from a non-FFL. Some don't like to)

2) Bring the gun to a local FFL to ship. Included the name and address of the receiving FFL as well as the name of the buyer. Pay the local FFL to ship. Its the local FFL's responsibility to confirm validity of the receiving FFL. Although used to always end up contacting the receiving FFL anyway, just to make sure things go smoothly.

Here's where it gets interesting. A FFL can ship a handgun for as little as $6. (USPS small flat rate box). Worst case it will cost him $13 (medium flat rate box). So even if he charges you $30 for his time, you still make out. I don't know about you, but I'd rather put money into the hands of my LGS than Fedex or UPS.

Also, make sure he gives you a receipt indicating that he received the handgun from you.

Don

p.s. if its a long gun, you can bring it to the USPS yourself.

Its really not complicated or hard, not sure why so many here like to add extra steps. Only time I ever use an FFL to send a gun is when the receiving FFL refuses to receive from a non FFL (their business their rules). Otherwise seriously just send it yourself to the receiving FFL (USPS says no handguns, so use FedEx or UPS, who ever is closest to you).

Using a FFL to ship a gun can sometimes seem costly, but remember that "your" gun becomes "his" dealer inventory and he has to log it in, give you a receipt, pack it up, then ship it and log it out to the receiving FFL. A little time involved. Jack.

Using a FFL to ship a gun can sometimes seem costly, but remember that "your" gun becomes "his" dealer inventory and he has to log it in, give you a receipt, pack it up, then ship it and log it out to the receiving FFL. A little time involved. Jack.

What I have found is paying a FFL to send it priority mail is always quite a bit cheaper than sending it overnight via FedEX or UPS.

Chris

Its really not complicated or hard, not sure why so many here like to add extra steps. Only time I ever use an FFL to send a gun is when the receiving FFL refuses to receive from a non FFL (their business their rules). Otherwise seriously just send it yourself to the receiving FFL (USPS says no handguns, so use FedEx or UPS, who ever is closest to you).

AND sometimes shipping via FFL can be CHEAPER. Because he can ship so cheaply. ($6 vs $80 at the extreme)

The LGS I used to buy from in CT would ship out any gun I originally bought from them for their cost plus $10. Because of the previously mentioned USPS flat rate box, it was usually about $10 to $25 with insurance. Far cheaper than I could ship via UPS or fedex. And I didn't have to worry about packing it.

Shipmygun.com is another alternative. I believe it's owned by buds and basically lets you use their rates to ship via ups - gets the cost down close to your FFLs cost of a transfer + USPS.

I'd still rather give the money to my local store.

Back
Top Bottom