Selling a non-MA compliant handgun that was bought from a MA gun dealer

A while back, I bought a new handgun from a dealer in MA. I later found out (from another dealer) that the gun, which is a new model, is not MA compliant, and the dealer shouldn`t have sold it to me.
If I want to sell it, is my only option to sell it FTF using a FA-10? Can a FFL facilitate the transfer?

I know that. I was just wondering if FFL`s are prohibited from making the transfer?

A lot might balk.

Go through the same dealer you bought it from? He's clearly either not too squeamish about The List, or he's ignorant; either way, it's on him not you.

FTF is clearly the right answer here. Unless you're out of EFA-10s, there's zero good reason to go through a dealer unless you're really eager to part with the transfer fee. And even if you are out of EFA-10s, just wait another week.

I haven`t sold any guns before, so I was just looking at different options. I`ll probably just do the EFA-10, unless the buyer wants to pay the original dealer to transfer it. Thanks for all your help.

Same thing happened to me. I called the dealer and they bought it back from me for price I paid. Turned around and bought something nicer and more $ from them. I’m sure Dealer still made out in long run.

I haven`t sold any guns before, so I was just looking at different options. I`ll probably just do the EFA-10, unless the buyer wants to pay the original dealer to transfer it. Thanks for all your help.

EFA10 it, if you do it before the beginning of the year you'll still have your full complement of 4 transfers for 2020. Not sure why anyone would want the original dealer to transfer it vs. an EFA-10, it being compliant or not is no longer an issue, once the dealer transferred it to you it became legal for you to own. The original dealer might have an issue if they're audited but you have no issue once the transfer is done. If a dealer is willing to sell/transfer a non-MA compliant handgun to you that's their problem not yours, once it's transferred it's fine for you to own.

Yes, just do the FA10. It's ultra easy. If doing it on a computer you can print to PDF then save a copy to send to the buyer. I don't know if this can be done on smartphones??? Last time I tried on an iPhone (over 5 years ago) I couldn't print to PDF - could only take a screenshot. I prefer a PDF myself...

Yes, just do the FA10. It's ultra easy. If doing it on a computer you can print to PDF then save a copy to send to the buyer. I don't know if this can be done on smartphones??? Last time I tried on an iPhone (over 5 years ago) I couldn't print to PDF - could only take a screenshot. I prefer a PDF myself...
I did it on a tablet and saved the pdf.

You can. You just go to save/print, then screenshot it. No issues.

You can. You just go to save/print, then screenshot it. No issues.
The problem I have with that is, now it's an image file not a PDF. Not the end of the world but it's a little easier to print a PDF file than an image.

The problem I have with that is, now it's an image file not a PDF. Not the end of the world but it's a little easier to print a PDF file than an image.
I got the full PDF via email. I don’t remember exactly the steps that I took, but I recall it as being straightforward.

I got the full PDF via email. I don’t remember exactly the steps that I took, but I recall it as being straightforward.
Hmmm maybe I'll try it on my iPhone next time and see what happens. Maybe things have changed with the newer iPhones/iOS...
Thanks.

True, but I figure the records could come in handy if a gun I sold was later used in a crime. Unlikely, but possible.

I feel that, but the state’s not going to accept your printed PDF as evidence of anything. Especially if their own records say different.

a digital copy might even be better, date-stamp-wise.

I feel that, but the state’s not going to accept your printed PDF as evidence of anything. Especially if their own records say different.

a digital copy might even be better, date-stamp-wise.

have you actually been in this situation? because i have
the right paperwork will get .gov off one’s back very quickly, especially proof of FFL transfer
unfortunately im too paranoid to hand over anything without legal counsel so ultimately it was a lawyer handling it on my behalf. selling firearms, even lawfully, does carry some risk in that we’re playing a broken game of tag based on 4473’s. in MA they use the FA10 for tracking but guess what it’s broken too. in states without an FA10 system one would be wise to keep track via bill of sale essentially doing the same as here in MA.

have you actually been in this situation? because i have
the right paperwork will get .gov off one’s back very quickly, especially proof of FFL transfer
unfortunately im too paranoid to hand over anything without legal counsel so ultimately it was a lawyer handling it on my behalf. selling firearms, even lawfully, does carry some risk in that we’re playing a broken game of tag based on 4473’s. in MA they use the FA10 for tracking but guess what it’s broken too. in states without an FA10 system one would be wise to keep track via bill of sale essentially doing the same as here in MA.

Fair enough.

But your printed PDF of the EFA 10 simply reflects what the state already has in its system. Otherwise, you’d have nothing to print. So the existence of the completed EFA10 is an established fact at state level, whether we print it or not.

You are sitting on some Mass contraband there my friend....i would imagine the the state police are headed to your location as we speak ;-)

Why don't you let one of us unburden you from that headache....I'm sure someone here would be willing to give you $50 for it....BTW, what *is* it ?

You are sitting on some Mass contraband there my friend....i would imagine the the state police are headed to your location as we speak ;-)

Why don't you let one of us unburden you from that headache....I'm sure someone here would be willing to give you $50 for it....BTW, what *is* it ?

I got all the receipts from the dealer. I`m good.

Back
Top Bottom