• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling a gun....

Laura

NES Member
This is embarrassing....I've sold here before but my mother needs hearing aids and we're not going for Costco. Her olds ones were Costco brand and my father wants to get here what I wear. Obviously, it's expensive and I plan to sell some long guns to fund it. Back when Walmart sold guns, my father got a Remington 700. He doesn't recall buying it but it's his gun, I'm 99% sure on that. The question is how do we sell it? Is there a problem if I sell the gun with my license in a private sale or does he need to sell it?

If it is his and he no longer has a permit (my assumption) I would just bring it, and your father, to a local FFL and do the transfer there.

Bob
I've made sure that he keeps his license active, so it's still current and locked away in my safe. I only really asked because HE doesn't remember buying it and I've always wondered how one could confirm who actually owns the gun.

If you’re concerned, have him eFA10 them to you, then you can do whatever you want with them. Assuming it’s four or fewer guns there’s no problem.

With the recent (6 months ago) introduction of quality OTC FDA regulated hearing aids the market is begining to reflect that in it's pricing and vendor selection. What used to cost 5k+ can now be had for a fraction of that. There are of course the commercial hearing aid chain stores who haven't waivered, but their time will come. Tons out there in the internet. Here's a decent link with reviews from NCOA: 9 Best Over-the-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids of May 2023

With the recent (6 months ago) introduction of quality OTC FDA regulated hearing aids the market is begining to reflect that in it's pricing and vendor selection. What used to cost 5k+ can now be had for a fraction of that. There are of course the commercial hearing aid chain stores who haven't waivered, but their time will come. Tons out there in the internet. Here's a decent link with reviews from NCOA: 9 Best Over-the-Counter (OTC) Hearing Aids of May 2023
Over the counter hearing aids or geared towards mild/moderate hearing loss and it's a one size fits all, with no audiogram required or exam by an audiologist or ENT. That's just insane really because it's like getting eyeglasses without a doctor's exam and prescription. My mother's hearing loss is quite severe, much to my surprise and is almost as severe as mine, so I plan to take her to my audiologist for a Widex brand. I want nothing but the best for my mother. I know the guns I sell won't get THAT much but we're hoping to get my wealthy and cheap sister to chip in, including my brother who can travel around the world, but not to her bedside when she's in the hospital.

Everyone else is giving you good advice.

If he owns the gun and has an LTC, he can sell it FTF to whatever other LTC-holder he wants. You can be his agent for that sale, if you wanna; people post in the Classifieds all the time on behalf of family members.

Or he can give you the gun, then you can sell it FTF.

The FFL option is (of course) valid, but I think using an FFL in this case is overthinking it. And paying a transfer fee you don't need to pay.

Back
Top Bottom