• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling a firearm out of state

JackO

Instructor
I understand it's legal to sell a firearm to an out of state FFL dealer (or sell to a private citizen provided shipping is to an FFL for further transfer). There are also certain procedures on the shipment of long guns and handguns (handguns must be shipped overnight, etc.).

What documentation would I have on my hands to get the firearm of the books? If I do a FTF transfer or FFL transfer in state, I understand, I'm getting a FA-10 form that is registered with CHSB and my copy is my proof I no longer possess this firearm. If I ship a firearm out of state, I would have a signed copy of the receiving FFL and probably a carrier receipt. Is this enough?

I understand it's legal to sell a firearm to an out of state FFL dealer (or sell to a private citizen provided shipping is to an FFL for further transfer). There are also certain procedures on the shipment of long guns and handguns (handguns must be shipped overnight, etc.).

What documentation would I have on my hands to get the firearm of the books? If I do a FTF transfer or FFL transfer in state, I understand, I'm getting a FA-10 form that is registered with CHSB and my copy is my proof I no longer possess this firearm. If I ship a firearm out of state, I would have a signed copy of the receiving FFL and probably a carrier receipt. Is this enough?

Your gun will NEVER be off the books in MA, even if you had sold it to another MA resident. CHSB doesn't do that, nor do they care. There is no requirement to file anything when a gun leaves the state. I would get a receipt or delivery confirmation or something from the FFL you sent it to or dropped it off at. That's literally the only proof you have that you don't own it anymore.

Edit: To clarify the above a bit, if I send a notarized form to CHSB requesting a list of all the guns I have
registered in my name, it'll show everything including a dozen or so guns that I've sold/traded, most of which
are in the state.

-Mike

Last edited:
You don't need to do anything to get the firearm "off the books". Just ship the firearm to an FFL and you're all set. I've always sent them delivery confirmation, adult signature required. That's enough to show you transferred the gun to an FFL if anybody ever came around asking about it.

It will never get off the books because technically, the FA-10 database is a database of transfers, not a registration database.

Back
Top Bottom