• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selling a firearm at Kittery Trading Post

pcgod

NES Member
A friend of mine called me up to ask me "What he has to do if he sold a gun to the Kittery Trading Post?" He is concerned about the EFA 10 system and how to fill it out correctly. I have heard some folks say don't worry about it because you have documentation it was sold. I have also heard you must fill out the EFA 10 transfer form on the portal (I assume you use the FFL number from Kittery). Which is the legal way to do this, or does it not really matter?

What info does he need from Kittery Trading Post and is it normally provided when you sell a firearm?

Note: I asked him WHY he would sell a firearm to Kittery and not locally. He didn't really give me a response.

You're going to get the same answers as this thread got 30 days ago:

If I sell to an FFL I get a recipe with the serial number on it and attach it to my eFA10 form when I first logged the gun with the Commiwealth and never look back. The FFL has to log it into their Bound Book so at that point your friend is no longer owns the gun.

A friend of mine called me up to ask me "What he has to do if he sold a gun to the Kittery Trading Post?" He is concerned about the EFA 10 system and how to fill it out correctly. I have heard some folks say don't worry about it because you have documentation it was sold. I have also heard you must fill out the EFA 10 transfer form on the portal (I assume you use the FFL number from Kittery). Which is the legal way to do this, or does it not really matter?

What info does he need from Kittery Trading Post and is it normally provided when you sell a firearm?

Note: I asked him WHY he would sell a firearm to Kittery and not locally. He didn't really give me a response.

Tell him to save the intake receipt from KTP. Hopefully they gave him a receipt with the SN of the gun on it. The end.

The EFA10 thing (WRT disposing to an out of state dealer) is only if you follow the Goebbels-based instructions on the EFA10 site which are not represented by law.
I wouldnt do it. This was literally never a "thing" until they started "suggesting" it on their instructions.

Even if he does file an EFA10 somehow reporting that transaction, it will never "get the gun out of his name". That gun is on his MA record FOR LIFE. [rofl]

As far as why he would sell to KTP? KTP gives more money than most gun shops do because they cosby the price up a bit on the back end when they re-sell the gun. Also most gun owners are lazy and afraid of private sales. The fact that he had to ask you about this tells me hes not mentally equipped to sell the gun privately anyways, because he wouldn't have asked
it if he understood the laws enough to do so.

Still a pity if it was a gun grandfathered in MA that can now never return.

Not true a lot of the time. "There are ways" a lot of ways.

Things like a "pre 98 papered exempt colt SAA" arent going to KTP anyways. Theyre going to places like deli ticket emporium etc.

And.... if it really is paper exempt, and the papers are maintained, it can always come back.

The EFA10 thing (WRT disposing to an out of state dealer) is only if you follow the Goebbels-based instructions on the EFA10 site which are not represented by law.
I wouldnt do it. This was literally never a "thing" until they started "suggesting" it on their instructions.
Wait, wait; I think this is one of those use-cases where you can't eFA-10 a transaction:

The portal requires either the buying individual's FID/LTC number, last name, and DoB,
-or-​
the FFL's (Mass) state firearms dealer's license number.

Neither of which KTP presumably has.

I can't swear that KTP doesn't have a Mass dealer's license,
but soitenly not all out-of-state FFLs do.

idjft.jpg

Wait, wait; I think this is one of those use-cases where you can't eFA-10 a transaction:

The portal requires either the buying individual's FID/LTC number, last name, and DoB,
-or-​
the FFL's (Mass) state firearms dealer's license number.

Neither of which KTP presumably has.

I can't swear that KTP doesn't have a Mass dealer's license,
but soitenly not all out-of-state FFLs do.

idjft.jpg

I believe you are right on that one, they wouldnt be able to fill that box out. wouldnt stop noobs from trying something though. I wonder if it even validates the input [rofl]

I believe you are right on that one, they wouldnt be able to fill that box out. wouldnt stop noobs from trying something though. I wonder if it even validates the input [rofl]
[thumbsup]

Unless both FID/LTCs and MDLs have a sekrit hidden check digit
(like UPCs and ISBNs), the mind reels at some of the hash that
terrorized sellers have submitted.

Posts like this make me wonder how people own guns without an anxiety therapist on speed dial. We do still live in America. What’s left of it.

Last edited:
An FFL isn’t bound to “outprocess” a firearm from a silly state that is sold to them.

I remember being at an FFL around Rutland, VT and the clerk was telling someone from New York that they had to get the pistol removed from their pistol license before they would accept it. 😆

The FA-10 system in MA is an acquisition registry, not a possession registry. Nothing short of time travel can change the fact that you acquired whatever you acquired on a past date.

If I sell to an FFL I get a recipe with the serial number on it and attach it to my eFA10 form when I first logged the gun with the Commiwealth and never look back. The FFL has to log it into their Bound Book so at that point your friend is no longer owns the gun.
So, you have an eFA10 form with like Yankee Pot Roast or Shepherd's Pie attached to it?

Back
Top Bottom