• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sellier & Bellot ammo

Bought a couple boxes of Sellier & Bellot ammo (9mm) at Four Seasons last week. It was pretty reasonably priced. First time I've ever encountered this brand, and haven't fired any yet. Anybody have any experience with this brand?

It works, but it is dirty as hell. (Although, nowhere near Wolf dirt levels. ) Nowadays it really is sort of overpriced for what it is. Back around 2004 or
so it was cheaper than a lot of the other brands which made it appealing.

Course these days, getting any ammo is a big deal, so one takes what they can get. [laugh]

-Mike

I use S&B in my S&W model 36. It works.

I agree with drgrant; it is dirty ammo.

I bought a couple of cases of that and was suprised when I put a magnet to the bullet I could lift it out of the package. Its brass but seems to have a steel core. Shoots ok for me. Let me know if yours is steel core too.

I've run many thousands of rounds of it through subguns and pistols over the years with no problems. Don't know if anything in their production has changed but it used to be great ammo for the price.

When it was "value ammo" it was a great value. It was sooty - especially their .45ACP, but their rifle ammunition was superb and really accurate. Their .223 was hot and had more of a 5.56 feel and their .308 was awesome as well. As Mike mentioned, now that it's premium priced fodder, I take a pass unless I'm desperate.

I have not shot it in years but I know that some have had problems with their brass. Other than a box or two that had insufficient neck tension to keep the bullets from sliding into the case during recoil (.38 Spl) S&B had been a pretty good ammo.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Like others have said- some of it is brass plated steel which sucks as a reloader... oh and the 9mm pockets are tight as a bitch- also a problem for me reloading.

But as new ammo- it's fine from my experiences.

I find the .380 ammo is really good, .45 is a little dirty. Now one buddy of mine deals in German Sniper rifles. The only ammo he will use to sight them in is S&B 196gr 8x57. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards.

I find the .380 ammo is really good, .45 is a little dirty. Now one buddy of mine deals in German Sniper rifles. The only ammo he will use to sight them in is S&B 196gr 8x57. It shoots clover leafs at 100 yards.

You're right about that .308 When you fire a round, it just feels like it's more accurate and it is...

I only have experience with their 8X57mm rifle ammo, but it shot great. The brass was very reloadable, lasting every bit as long as anything short of Norma.

JR

The S&B ammo has been an excellent performer. Some of their 9mm ammo has brass plated steel cases. For reloaders, the S&B primer pockets have a sharp profile which makes priming a bit more difficult with some primer brands.

Back
Top Bottom