• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self Storage Locker

If you needed to store your firearms (for whatever reason), would you use a self-storage locker? Heated? Would you have a safe inside? What does the NES community think?

Hell no. If for whatever reason you cannot pay, they get to keep whatever is in the container. I would much rather leave it with a friend. I would also doubt that any self-storage would be OK with you keeping anything related to firearms at their location as well. Specially in MA.

Hell no. If for whatever reason you cannot pay, they get to keep whatever is in the container. I would much rather leave it with a friend. I would also doubt that any self-storage would be OK with you keeping anything related to firearms at their location as well. Specially in MA.

^This! The only exception would be if you were in a pinch, such as during a move, remodel, etc., and didn't have a friend or relative that could legally hold them for you. If you did for whatever reason, then yes, I would recommend having a safe inside for added security.

Most self storage places (at least the major chain ones) have various rules about what is not allowed in their units. I know that Firearms are pretty high on the list. If you go to a smaller mom-and-pop type place they may have not bothered to make such rules. Then again, those are only RULES not LAWS so there wont be a legal repricusions unless someone gets a hold of them, then you WILL be charged with 'unsafe storage' even if you have a 200 tonn safe with biometric and voice print locks inside a locked site.

(not sure what the storage company can do to you or your stuff if they find out you have guns in there though, if someone sees you walking in or walks by while the door is open)

if you just need to get them out of the house temporarily like during remodel or house showing then you can always get a shipping storage container. they are generally around 50-80 dollars a month and are very secure. not to be confused with those plastic POD type containers. just few weeks ago i called for a quote to a local place that rent's out shea shipping containers. I figured a 20' should be enough for me to put my crap away while house is being renovated. they quoted 85/mo for one month and 80/mo if for 3 month or longer. there is a destination charge which will wary by location. for me it was $75.

just something to consider as an option. but yes, friend if he has capacity and willing is the easiest AND cheapest way, even if you have to pay him with 5 cases of beer for troubles. :)

The storage places will pressure you to buy their insurance (a major profit center). I would expect payment would be denied for anything not allowed by their rules. I'd be more concerned about violating a rule like "nothing with gasoline" for liability reasons.

I'd put a trigger lock on anything in a storage container - hard to argue lack of "secure storage", since a trigger lock alone is sufficient to meet the 131L requirement.

I would go with a storage locker,with a good lock.If you leave them with a friend,and something happens to him then you have to deal with that.

If you needed to store your firearms (for whatever reason), would you use a self-storage locker? Heated? Would you have a safe inside? What does the NES community think?

BTDT, yes, heated/air conditioned/humidity controlled. No safe, just a bunch of long guns with trigger locks, each cased.

Do NOT care about storage facility "policies"!

The day I have to worry about being able to pay $80-85/month I will have much, much greater problems! When I rented mine, they automatically billed my cc (which I have always paid totally each month).

(not sure what the storage company can do to you or your stuff if they find out you have guns in there though, if someone sees you walking in or walks by while the door is open)

I had mine for ~18 months and never saw "traffic" going by while I was there. It was a big building with probably 1000 or more units. I also closed the door to the unit while in there sorting/stacking stuff.

I would go with a storage locker,with a good lock.If you leave them with a friend,and something happens to him then you have to deal with that.

Yup, they'd be off to the bonded warehouse . . . and you lose your rights to them (only the person whose home was raided can get them out and if it was a 209A, they can only go to an FFL for "transfer" back to the rightful owner)!!

Back
Top Bottom