Self defense story from home invasion

Damn, what a rough read. He has to feel awful to find out the intruder was who he was... but at the same time you don't have to have "evil" intent to be capable of inflicting death or serious injury. "Gentle giants" can still snap your wife or kid's neck if they take it into their heads to do so. I think he was completely justified, although I can easily imagine how this scenario might have played out here in the PRM.

The comments that get to me are the armchair quarterbacks pointing out all the things he should have done differently. What's the reasonable level of preparedness that people expect for due diligence? Must everyone have steel-reinforced entry doors? How about having a psychiatrist on call in every home to assess the intruder's mental state in the split-second?

Must everyone have steel-reinforced entry doors?

Why wouldn't you want your entry doors to be able to resist a kick or a shoulder? Seems to me that is the basic function of a door.

It's not the door itself that's the problem, it's the jamb. A few dollars worth of parts makes the typical entry door much more kick-resistant. I've been meaning to do these mods to my house's doors, must get around to it.

Why wouldn't you want your entry doors to be able to resist a kick or a shoulder? Seems to me that is the basic function of a door.

It's not the door itself that's the problem, it's the jamb. A few dollars worth of parts makes the typical entry door much more kick-resistant. I've been meaning to do these mods to my house's doors, must get around to it.

Well, according to the comments there, you better hope nobody breaks in before you do get around to it, or it's your fault if you shoot an intruder in your house!

Of course I agree with you, the mods are simple and can be very effective. Part of a great multi-layered security approach, along with an alarm, etc. That said, I wouldn't want some judge, jury, or lawmaker deciding that "last resort" means that every home with a gun must be outfitted like a bank vault in order to meet the justification standard.

Last edited:
This.

Very articulate recollection. I like how he addresses anti's fallacious argument about "the only option" , "Lying in wait" and "itching to shoot someone".

Anyone click on the link in there?

It's constantly amazing and dismaying to see the capacity for humans to be utter shits to each other.

Well, according to the comments there, you better hope nobody breaks in before you do get around to it, or it's your fault if you shoot an intruder in your house!

Of course I agree with you, the mods are simple and can be very effective. Part of a great multi-layered security approach, along with an alarm, etc. That said, I wouldn't want some judge, jury, or lawmaker deciding that "last resort" means that every home with a gun must be outfitted like a bank vault in order to meet the justification standard.

I wish I could afford everything I'd like to do to the house. I do what I can.
Windows of course are a big weak point. I want these screens for at least the bottom floor windows.

It's constantly amazing and dismaying to see the capacity for humans to be utter shits to each other.

A sad bad very true statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
This.

Very articulate recollection. I like how he addresses anti's fallacious argument about "the only option" , "Lying in wait" and "itching to shoot someone".

JFC. Puts in real focus to keep your ****ing head on a swivel, time & space are your friends, and never be caught under prepared.

Furthermore, that's a real ****ing wake up call for those that tend to roll without one in the pipe.

This.

Terrible. Situational awareness is an excellent start, but carrying the highest capacity in the largest caliber that you can comfortably conceal and accurately handle would be a wise decision.

Those knockout punches can be deadly. Once you're out cold, you have no control as to how you land or where you land which can lead to a nasty head injury.

People have been killed from a single blow from a fist. Why this wouldn't constitute an immediate justification to escalate to deadly force is a mystery to me.

How anyone could blame the guy is beyond me.
And as one of the commenters pointed out , the group homes do lie about the people housed in them .
They may tell the town/ city that they have no one with a history of violence living there , but it's bullshit.
A friend of mine worked at one, they lie to the town and the state lies to them about the history of the people they send there.
They had one guy living there who went bezerk one night and put 4 people in the hospital at the home.
When they checked into it , it turns out the guy had done it before but the folder sent with the guy seemed to be missing that information.
Caught the staff totally off guard.

Terrible. Situational awareness is an excellent start, but carrying the highest capacity in the largest caliber that you can comfortably conceal and accurately handle would be a wise decision.

Those knockout punches can be deadly. Once you're out cold, you have no control as to how you land or where you land which can lead to a nasty head injury.
in some of these real up close fights i think i would rather be armed with a trench knife than a pistol. trenchknife.jpg

People have been killed from a single blow from a fist. Why this wouldn't constitute an immediate justification to escalate to deadly force is a mystery to me.

I blame the movies, one punch just makes someone stumble, one shot kills every time, shoot the gun out of his hand etc etc etc....

Yep. Good guys always win. It's reasonable to assume that all men are capable of fighting off bad guys with their bare hands. The cops are always there to protect you.

in some of these real up close fights i think i would rather be armed with a trench knife than a pistol.

Some of the top self defense trainers in the world say that the best way to defend yourself in a knife fight is to run like hell in the other direction! [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In regards to the original post, this is why a strong castle doctrine with civil immunity is so important. The Austin, TX homeowner in that case was protected under Texas law, but in many other states he would not have been nearly as lucky.

in some of these real up close fights i think i would rather be armed with a trench knife than a pistol.
I'd rather have a wonder nine in a multi-attacker scenario, if only because it might not always be apparent to the rest of the crowd that the first guy just took multiple knife wounds and is bleeding out, but it's hard for the guys in the back to miss hearing multiple gunshots.

Last edited:

I think it is illegal in Mass. to excessively reinforce your door jam.

1 i feel awful for the shooter in this spot gotta be harder to live with it if you do everything right and the dude turns out to be a guy like that. 2 shame on the home for letting it happen like that. 3 the shooter is extremely lucky. That sounds like a big ass dude who was in an agitated state and didn't go down on the spot. Couldve been made a worse situation if he didn't run after the guy turned the situation into a fight by shooting.

We should take away that you need long guns to make sure your threat is neutralized.

Also the poor "victim/perp" was dead the second he escaped as sad to say as it is. But he wouldnt have lived through many encounters that night just bad luck being 6'10 and autistic.

Nothing good ever comes of a knock on the door at 6:30AM

We should take away that you need long guns to make sure your threat is neutralized.
I suspect the homeowner is reassessing his choice of door, home defense weapon, and response plan.

One advantage for the defender is you don't have to worry about being "caught" prowling in the dark with your home defense weapon or be concerned that it's too heavy to tote around with you. So why not go with a full-caliber and full-capacity weapon with a light mounted?

Daub, 42, is a concealed handgun license instructor at KR Training, a shooting school in Central Texas. According to the school's website, Daub is certified in home firearm safety, pistol, rifle, personal protection in the home, personal protection outside the home and range safety.
Being he is an instructor, I surprised his family wasn't better prepared. No shotgun for the wife?

Can't find anything about Mass. but I do remember reading about such laws in other cities/states.

Don't want to embarrass the SWAT Team when they fail to break down your door by mistake.

A person commits criminal fortification of a residence or building when...

clampett said:
Can't find anything about Mass. but I do remember reading about such laws in other cities/states. Don't want to embarrass the SWAT Team when they fail to break down your door by mistake.

Such a law exists in many states, but usually requires more than just excessive reinforcement:
Criminal fortification of a residence or building.
A person commits criminal fortification of a residence or building when, with the intent to prevent the lawful entry of a law enforcement officer, he or she maintains a residence or building in a fortified condition, knowing that the residence or building is used for the unlawful manufacture, storage with intent to deliver or manufacture, delivery, or trafficking of ...
Generally these laws require both intent to stop LE entry and knowledge of a drug crime, and I don't know of any New England state with this sort of fortification law.

So go for it. Steel bars, concrete posts, all the passive defenses you want. Just make sure you have cloud-uploading webcams so the Internet can watch the fun that follows.

Sorry this guy and his family had to go through that. That is a really horrible thing. But it could have ended much worse. If someone breaks into your home you should assume the worst. Anyone else remember a similar story from Worcester with a different outcome? Unstable guy came into a house and stabbed the woman to death. Just because. This was around the same time a woman broke into a pregnant woman's house to cut her unborn baby out of her.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Broth...ster's+death;+Mentally+ill+man...-a0186521717

Edit: better story
http://m.telegram.com/article/20120302/news/103029638

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
One advantage for the defender is you don't have to worry about being "caught" prowling in the dark with your home defense weapon or be concerned that it's too heavy to tote around with you. So why not go with a full-caliber and full-capacity weapon with a light mounted?

Mobility.

It's easier to clear a structure with a handgun than a long gun. If your defense philosophy is to wait, there's no reason not to use a long gun. If you're going to proactively seek out an intruder, a handgun has its advantages.

Back
Top Bottom