• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self Defense, Massachusetts style

I am sure that a ****in' whistle would have saved Amy Lord's life.

Whatever happened to dropping the FID requirement for Pepper Spray? The committee made it sound like it was a done deal during the hearings over the summer.

That's the glad-handing that we get every session . . . and the pepper spray bill dies before it can ever be voted on, every time!

I'll be checking back later to see how quickly they remove my comment.

I'm amazed at people who think a whistle is the best tool to use to stem a violent attack. I hope the pamphlets they're handing out have first aid instructions.

• Jill Cahill Baker Councilor Baker is not deleting the posts, I am. I handle his facebook page. Most of the comments were not intellegent. We are well aware whistles are not going to change the world but in our dense neighborhood full of woman and students (majority of who are victimized),bringing awarneness is a small part of the process. If any of you would like to have a conversation in person to discuss:
    6 minutes ago · Like

• Jill Cahill Baker Office of City Councilor Frank Baker, District 3

Boston City Hall, One City Square...See More
    5 minutes ago · Like

That's the glad-handing that we get every session . . . and the pepper spray bill dies before it can ever be voted on, every time!

Not to drag this thread in another direction, but what is the next step for the pepper spray bills? Are they already dead, or are they up for vote this session? I tried to find information but my Google-fu is weak this morning.

• Jill Cahill Baker Councilor Baker is not deleting the posts, I am. I handle his facebook page. Most of the comments were not intellegent. We are well aware whistles are not going to change the world but in our dense neighborhood full of woman and students (majority of who are victimized),bringing awarneness is a small part of the process. If any of you would like to have a conversation in person to discuss:
I guess my comments were not "intellegent" (sic) enough. [thinking]

Guess my "awarneness" (sic) is not all that good either.

They handed out "safety whistles" at JFK, Savin Hill and Ashmont MBTA? ... But they skipped stops at rougher areas, Fields Corner and Shawmut, probably cuz they pulled up in their Dodge Caravan, looked around and saw some "very mean looking guys" hanging out and hit the gas to get outta there before a couple of the gang banga's noticed a van full of idiots with whistles and set upon them, knowing they'd be scared sh*tless and easy pickins'.
(Oh my! Don't stop here! Lions and Tigers and Switchblades! Oh My!!.. I'm frightened Auntie Em! I'm frightened!")

Tweeeet!.. Help!.... Tweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Last edited:

• The "majority" of students and women are victimized? Shit they must be raping at like 3 people a min up there. [rolleyes] I love how they just completely make shit up.

Not to drag this thread in another direction, but what is the next step for the pepper spray bills? Are they already dead, or are they up for vote this session? I tried to find information but my Google-fu is weak this morning.

I'm unsure where it is currently in the process, but here is the process.

- file a bill.
- it gets assigned to a committee (Public Safety in this case). IF it gets reported out favorably, it gets sent to Ways & Means (anything to do with money, no FID means less money to the state).
- IF Ways & Means give it an "ought to pass" it goes to the next step (which could be another committee or directly to the House or Senate).
- IF the Speaker of the House WANTS it to pass (and it is a House bill) he'll schedule it for a vote. If he doesn't want it to pass, it will NEVER be put on the agenda for discussion/vote.
- IF it is a Senate bill, same as last line but Senate President gets to put it forward or ignore it.
- Both chambers have to agree on exact wording, if not a conference committee is created from both chambers to work out the wording and then it has to go for another vote by both bodies.
- If above is all favorable, it goes to the governor for signature, ignore (after 10 days IIRC it becomes law without signature) or veto.
- If vetoed, it has to go back to both bodies and pass with a 2/3 vote in both chambers. That will override the governor's veto.

As you can see it is a very sloppy process of making sausages to get a bill to pass. The gatekeepers are the Speaker of the House and the Senate President. NOTHING gets voted on if they disagree with it!

Thank you LenS, for always being such a wealth of information. It looks like H.2145 is currently at the "reported favorably, referred to Ways and Means" step. So, there's a LONG way and a lot of sausages to go.

How long before all the whistle blowing gets ignored just like car alarms?

Has any study been done to see if the whistles will even deter a rapist? Seriously they could interview victims and ask the manner of the attack and see if they would have had time to search their pocket or purse for a whistle before they were subdued by the perp. I have no experience in this but I don't think the perp will announce from 50 yards away his intention to give them time to whistle. I imagine most attacks would be ambushes where the victim is grabbed or gets a weapon held to them before they can react.

My comment was up for a while last night. It appears as though they realized how big of *******s they really are.

Even though linsky and Naughton are talking about eliminating prebans and no private transactions there is word that the appetite very well may not even be there for a vote. Apparently more and more just want this to go away. They don't want to go on record with a vote because in their eyes it's a lose/lose. If they go against it they piss off the moon bats. Where as they know we vote and if they vote for it they know it's an instant vote against them by gun owners. Hopefully this person who's been right so far is correct again.

Now is the time we need to redouble our efforts and let them know we're not a sleep at the wheel and the election is right around the corner.

I am sure that a ****in' whistle would have saved Amy Lord's life.

Whatever happened to dropping the FID requirement for Pepper Spray? The committee made it sound like it was a done deal during the hearings over the summer.

Don't forget, Linsky personally pledged to get rid of the pepper spray FID requirement on Dan Rea's show, 9/5/2013

How long before all the whistle blowing gets ignored just like car alarms?

Has any study been done to see if the whistles will even deter a rapist? Seriously they could interview victims and ask the manner of the attack and see if they would have had time to search their pocket or purse for a whistle before they were subdued by the perp. I have no experience in this but I don't think the perp will announce from 50 yards away his intention to give them time to whistle. I imagine most attacks would be ambushes where the victim is grabbed or gets a weapon held to them before they can react.

Also, if a girl gets grabbed, I would assume the rapist to be would cover her mouth first? Never been involved in a rape, but I would figure he would cover her mouth so she can't scream? So if her mouth is covered, she can't blow a whistle. Or if she starts too, he could remove said whistle when it starts?

Also, if a girl gets grabbed, I would assume the rapist to be would cover her mouth first? Never been involved in a rape, but I would figure he would cover her mouth so she can't scream? So if her mouth is covered, she can't blow a whistle. Or if she starts too, he could remove said whistle when it starts?

Don't apply logic to a feel good measure.

I'm unsure where it is currently in the process, but here is the process.

- file a bill.
- it gets assigned to a committee (Public Safety in this case). IF it gets reported out favorably, it gets sent to Ways & Means (anything to do with money, no FID means less money to the state).
- IF Ways & Means give it an "ought to pass" it goes to the next step (which could be another committee or directly to the House or Senate).

<clipped>

A Restricted FID for this purpose costs $25. I'd be curious to know how many were actually issued last year and how much the state would even be losing. Seems to me like they'd be willing to sacrifice it given the bad publicity of the Amy Lord incident alone.

A Restricted FID for this purpose costs $25. I'd be curious to know how many were actually issued last year and how much the state would even be losing. Seems to me like they'd be willing to sacrifice it given the bad publicity of the Amy Lord incident alone.

It's not the amount, but the principle of "giving up money" that causes these kind of bills to die. Also, currently NRs under 21 have no way to obtain a license to possess OC as NR FIDs don't exist. Plus if they do away with it as part of the definition of ammunition, they MAY have to accept that it can be carried on college property (I'm sure that they don't want that either). I say "MAY" since C. 269 S. 10 can probably be read that it is still a "dangerous weapon" and thus illegal on school property. IANAL and leave that interpretation to our legal beagles.

Back
Top Bottom