Self Defense Insurance - How many have it?

I searched and saw a few thread as far as WHO to use. But was curious as to how many people actually buy it?
What brings this up: I have never even thought about having it and have been licensed for 14 years. On Saturday, I attended a mandatory safety class to get my SC Concealed Weapons Permit. The teacher of the class told us in the beginning that we would have a guest speaker in the afternoon.
Turns out, the class was blindsided by an insurance salesman for an hour long sales pitch for Firearms Legal Protection (FLP).
He was a good sales person, and made a great pitch, but I was so pissed at how we were forced to hear the pitch vs the laws I wanted to learn that I didn't buy it.

Out of the 17 of us in the class, I believe 4 of us said no (my wife being one of the 4). I was actually really surprised at the high rate of the sign up and was curious if that is a real example of gun ownership or was this a timeshare sales pitch situation where people will regret it after the fact?

i've been procrastinating over this insurance for some time. i think one of the guys, len or rob, recommended one of the issuers some time ago so you could contact them to bring the subject up again. i'll eventually get it. a good idea to have.

Auto Insurance. Life Insurance, Home insurance, Self-Defense Insurance...? Why not?
Never considered it before, but times change.

If the policy is good, the cost is low and the company reputable... again, Why not?

I searched and saw a few thread as far as WHO to use. But was curious as to how many people actually buy it?
What brings this up: I have never even thought about having it and have been licensed for 14 years. On Saturday, I attended a mandatory safety class to get my SC Concealed Weapons Permit. The teacher of the class told us in the beginning that we would have a guest speaker in the afternoon.
Turns out, the class was blindsided by an insurance salesman for an hour long sales pitch for Firearms Legal Protection (FLP).
He was a good sales person, and made a great pitch, but I was so pissed at how we were forced to hear the pitch vs the laws I wanted to learn that I didn't buy it.

Out of the 17 of us in the class, I believe 4 of us said no (my wife being one of the 4). I was actually really surprised at the high rate of the sign up and was curious if that is a real example of gun ownership or was this a timeshare sales pitch situation where people will regret it after the fact?
I had the same thing happen when I took the Texas mandatory CHL class. Special rates If you sign up now. Not available once you walk out the door... Classic high pressure tactics and to a captive audience. Offensive.

I've been on the fence about it for some time. I'll have to go back and read the old thread again. As someone said to me once, if you ever have to use your gun, make sure there is only one story to tell in the end.

I already had coverage before I got into guns, because these hands are deadly weapons....

In all seriousness, I don't blame you for being upset. That's not what you signed up for. I do have insurance myself though. Figure it can't hurt in MA. The legal coverage alone is probably worth it, but like all non-mandatory insurance, it's all about risk tolerance.

Timeshare sales pitch.

When NRA rolled out their so-called insurance program they pushed us (NRA Instructors) very hard trying to get us to sell their "product".

I find it unethical to turn my classes into a sales pitch for any product. I'd be offended if I took a class and the instructor went into a hard-sell for any product.

i've been procrastinating over this insurance for some time. i think one of the guys, len or rob, recommended one of the issuers some time ago so you could contact them to bring the subject up again. i'll eventually get it. a good idea to have.
Nope, not me.

If you carry with the attitude that you will intercede in anything you see and try to save the world, it is probably a good idea for you to carry insurance. If on the other hand you would only intercede if you or your family were threatened, I'd say that the likelihood (if you stay out of risky areas/situations) is so small as to not warrant paying $300-500/year. YMMV

If you carry with the attitude that you will intercede in anything you see and try to save the world, it is probably a good idea for you to carry insurance. If on the other hand you would only intercede if you or your family were threatened, I'd say that the likelihood (if you stay out of risky areas/situations) is so small as to not warrant paying $300-500/year. YMMV
we've had group discussions on this before, about intervening on behalf of others. i'm still of a me and mine attitude. nothings changed there. maybe i'll re-evaluate picking up this type of insurance.

I’ve been wondering the same thing. The last 2 or 3 days I’ve seen a few firearms channels on youtube pushing USCCA.

I have insurance, yes - SDF.

I disagree, particularly in Massachusetts where gun owners are under a microscope. I'd rather win on someone else's dime than on my own.

Watch out for weasel words in the contract - does it have to be 'self defense' or any firearms use. Remember, no matter how obvious, it is not legally self defense until the system says it is.

Industry (in general, not referring specifically to this one) is awash in unregulated providers not delivering when times are tight. Insurance companies are heavily regulated, licensed, have financial solvency requirements, etc.. Have one of these self-defense policies (that claim to be service plans and not insurance, to avoid insurance regulations) and you might get your defense covered ..... or you might find yourself like those StubHub customers who were told "we rescinded our cash refund for cancellation policy after you bought your ticket, sorry".

And as far as I know none of these policies offer license defense - if you just have your LTC pulled but are not charged, or are up on charges unrelated to a self defense incident but threaten you with PP status, there is no defense or funding provided. AD in your home? ADA intent on making you a PP by opposing the CWOF because you are considered an undesirable? Sorry, not self defense.

Last edited:
I have some but not insurance which most if not all require you to prevail in court before they reimburse you. I have CCWsafe. They are about $175 a year. They got some heavy legal eagles but ultimately they hire someone from the state you are in. I am aware of at least one instance where they prevailed and not yet aware of failures. They will send someone to the jail and post bail or bond and defend the civil suit as well. You don't come out of pocket for anything. Like everything this is risk management and not a guarantee of anything. I don't have the means to defend against the Commonwealth otherwise.

I have some but not insurance which most if not all require you to prevail in court before they reimburse you..

USCCA & a few others do not require you to prevail in court to reimburse you, in fact they pay the legal fees up front. The main one that operated on a reimbursement if successful in court was NRA Carry Guard which I believe has been discontinued.

USCCA & a few others do not require you to prevail in court to reimburse you, in fact they pay the legal fees up front. The main one that operated on a reimbursement if successful in court was NRA Carry Guard which I believe has been discontinued.
I tried to find a list of MA lawyers that work with USCCA, but failed.

Do you have a list?

Out of all the insurances, they seem like the best, but I want to see who they work with.

Have been thinking about this too lately. As the chance of use increases from all the crap going on it makes sense, especially living in MA.

In your selection of USCCA did you look at other providers and what was the thing(s) that made you choose them vs others (if any) ? Not being antagonistic, just wanting to know more about this topic as it's something I've only ever grazed over briefly, I think a lot of them are likely snake oil but I think there might be a few others that certainly aren't, or at least provide some
benefit. It is difficult for the layperson to easily determine this.

I had the same thing happen when I took the Texas mandatory CHL class. Special rates If you sign up now. Not available once you walk out the door... Classic high pressure tactics and to a captive audience. Offensive.
Exactly the same with my CHL process. Hard pass.

In your selection of USCCA did you look at other providers and what was the thing(s) that made you choose them vs others (if any) ? Not being antagonistic, just wanting to know more about this topic as it's something I've only ever grazed over briefly, I think a lot of them are likely snake oil but I think there might be a few others that certainly aren't, or at least provide some
benefit. It is difficult for the layperson to easily determine this.

I mainly evaluated two providers, USCCA & NRA Carry Guard and it wasn’t even close since Carry Guard was on a reimbursement basis only if you were successful in court while USCCA paid first dollar defense costs regardless of outcome (Carry Guard wouldn‘t pay if you had to plea to a lesser charge, which is a distinct possibility). I was more interested in the criminal legal defense protection than the civil liability part figuring that if I’m in jail, the civil damages would be the least of my worries. Thankfully, USCCA provides both. I liked the network of local lawyers to choose from which include Jason Guida, Neil Tassel & Keith Langer and USCCA offers a lot of ancillary resources and benefits. Have been happy w/ the membership benefits, including Concealed Carry magazine and haven‘t really seen anything appreciably better or had any reason to change.

The term is "fear of loss close" and it dates from a time when salesmanship was about out-maneuvering and tricking the prospect rather than working to arrive at a solution of mutual benefit. I believe it is covered in the Zig Ziglar classic on closes, along with other tacky shit like the alternate choice close and rising inflection close.

Empire Carpet, Timeshare vendors and window replacement companies still use this technique which shows you the kind of company the CHL course operator is keeping.

I mainly evaluated two providers, USCCA & NRA Carry Guard and it wasn’t even close since Carry Guard was on a reimbursement basis only if you were successful in court while USCCA paid first dollar defense costs regardless of outcome (Carry Guard wouldn‘t pay if you had to plea to a lesser charge, which is a distinct possibility). I was more interested in the criminal legal defense protection than the civil liability part figuring that if I’m in jail, the civil damages would be the least of my worries. Thankfully, USCCA provides both. I liked the network of local lawyers to choose from which include Jason Guida, Neil Tassel & Keith Langer and USCCA offers a lot of ancillary resources and benefits. Have been happy w/ the membership benefits, including Concealed Carry magazine and haven‘t really seen anything appreciably better or had any reason to change.

I did the same thing and ended up with the USCCA Platinum plan for $30.00/month.

Back
Top Bottom