• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Self defense in Worcester

Central MA was rife with violence last night. Pretty sad how today's such a nice day and people's lives were affected negatively overnight.

Sounds like the homeowner was carrying at home, which is good. Sadly, it also sounds like the burglar didn't make it into the home so it could be a bad shoot in this state. Hope the homeowner survives this both physically and legally.

Sounds like the homeowner was carrying at home, which is good. Sadly, it also sounds like the burglar didn't make it into the home so it could be a bad shoot in this state. Hope the homeowner survives this both physically and legally.

The "burglar" was threatening with a gun from outside, so hopefully the homeowner will be ok legally - but who knows in this state. Hopefully the woman is a good witness.

yeah...something about it being in that neighborhood is telling me that this was definitely not random. it's a fairly heavily wooded area, and most streets are dead ends over there. this man was a target (pun)...whether he made himself one or not, i hope he pulls through and isn't punished for protecting his loved one and his home.

Nope if he is threatening with a gun, then the shoot can still be good.

Upon reading this, I wouldn't have gone into the house to get a firearm. I'd be staying clear away and letting the police go in, as I stay clear and do nothing more than observing for any perps leaving. Going in unarmed is a dangerous play in my opinion, even if it is to arm yourself.

this is why i'm thinking the victim knew the intruder...probably made a conscious decision to take matters into his own hands. that being said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you that the police should have been allowed to handle the situation. if the same ever happened to me, I would hope that I would have enough sense to allow the proper authorities to handle the dirty work and keep my ass out of hot water...but adrenaline and all that, i'm not so sure. i suppose the situation would dictate.

this is why i'm thinking the victim knew the intruder...probably made a conscious decision to take matters into his own hands. that being said, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you that the police should have been allowed to handle the situation. if the same ever happened to me, I would hope that I would have enough sense to allow the proper authorities to handle the dirty work and keep my ass out of hot water...but adrenaline and all that, i'm not so sure. i suppose the situation would dictate.

You may be right. The suspect and home owner are both 24 years old. If they grew up in the same town. They very well may have know each other.

As usual, the article seems to have been written by an idiot. Where did the man go to arm himself? His car? The basement? The garage?

"[FONT=&quot]The house appeared to be ransacked, and the man went and armed himself, police said. "

[/FONT]

speculation... I can easily see coming home and not realizing anything is amiss until you're right in the middle of it.

True, 7 days after buying our house, it was burglarized and the perps (never caught) ran out back into the woods as we drove up the driveway. We were moving stuff in and fixing up prior to actually moving in.

We had a small porch that entered into the dining room (door typical 1/2 glass).

As I walked to that door with a couple of cartons in hand, I noticed all the kitchen cabinet doors open. That's when I put the cartons down and backed out. I didn't even notice that the back door to the porch had the screen ripped out and the door I was standing at had the glass broken.

LTC. Dave Grossman taught us what happened at Newtown (Sandy Hook) and the police arriving didn't even notice the window next to the door was broken (easy access) for 5 minutes as they tried to break thru the door itself!

The brain does funny things.

I'm even saying beyond the obvious that I may miss on the way in, distracted with conversation or the repetition of having done it a million times... I don't do a perimeter sweep of my house before entering in a commando roll (usually [smile] ) I can envision coming home to nothing amiss from the street, entering through the garage into the mudroom into the low hall and through into the kitchen before finding a window smashed, or the slider jimmied...or finding nothing amiss at all on the first level if entry was made through a second floor or basement window...they're likely not going through my kitchen cabinets looking for goodies. By the time you're there you're "in", and the homeowners gun may very well have been well closer than the phone.

Targeted or not, knew each other or not, it's plenty plausible that they didn't come home and ignore all the lights on and the front door kicked in [thinking]

Upon reading this, I wouldn't have gone into the house to get a firearm. I'd be staying clear away and letting the police go in, as I stay clear and do nothing more than observing for any perps leaving. Going in unarmed is a dangerous play in my opinion, even if it is to arm yourself.

Wow.. yea I would not have went in.. Let them have at it while call the police.. Keep an eye out be a good witness. Scary that is.. really glad the resident is ok..

Back
Top Bottom