• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

self defense ammo

expedition03

NES Member
I am looking for some good defense 9mm ammo. I went to four seasons last week and they had crap, just one selection for 9, some home defense stuff. I heard gold dot, hydrashok are good but i can't find them near me (braintree area) has anyone have suggestions or recommendations. Since MA stinks, online ordering i know is out of the question from online stores.

Most gun shops selection of SD ammo is crap. They are going to carry whatever they can make the best profit on. (can't say that I blame them, of course. ) If you want to get it without getting fleeced you have to get it from a friend that can get you the stuff that comes in 50 round boxes. I absolutely refuse to buy defense ammo in anything less than a 50 round box, unless I know I have no other choice for that loading. (for example, speer .357 mag short barrel).

-Mike

Can you order on-line? I don't know the rules in MA. I have Winchester PDX1 124g +p and Ranger 127g +p+ and I love them both.

Can you order on-line? I don't know the rules in MA. I have Winchester PDX1 124g +p and Ranger 127g +p+ and I love them both.

You can but nobody is going to out a vendor on here. The easiest way is to do what Atmay is talking about. Post a WTB ad in the classifieds. You would be surprised who responds.

-Mike

Best 9mm hollow points that have been reliable in my sr9c was remington ultimate home defense, but its 22$ for a box of 25 up at rileys in hookset, havnt seen it anywhere else. I got a box of winchester white box jacketed hollow points at walmart last week, put a box of 50 through the gun and it seems reliable, was I think 20$ for a box of 50. They only had 1 box left but im going to get more and put a few hundred rounds down range to see just how reliable it is, every other brand of hollow points ive tried jams coming out of the magazine.

I am looking for some good defense 9mm ammo. I went to four seasons last week and they had crap, just one selection for 9, some home defense stuff. I heard gold dot, hydrashok are good but i can't find them near me (braintree area) has anyone have suggestions or recommendations. Since MA stinks, online ordering i know is out of the question from online stores.

Sent you a PM. I still have some HydraShoks for sale.

I've done some non-scientific testing with 147 grain Hydra-shock ammo. All I can say is I am glad I'm on this side of the gun...

Don't worry about the price of good ammo for home defense. YOu only need enough to fill 2 or 3 mags and then a couple boxes to shoot at the range just to make sure your gun handles it well. I suggest Hornady critcal defense for the 9.

Order from Cabelas online and have it drop shipped to a store (ME or CT) - plus you get to shop for stuff you never knew existed or needed.

Gold Dot +p short barrel. 410 foot pounds at the muzzle

This is what I'm using in my M&P9c. I go to Wal*Mart to get my target ammo - either Winchester White Box for $22.97/100, or Federal which comes in less at $19.97/100, or $10.97/50. It's hard to catch the Federal 100's in-stock so I usually stock up on the 50's. I keep checking to see if they have the Winchester PDX1 in 9mm, but it's always an empty shelf. I'll give it a try as soon as I find it.

A 9mm hollow point is a 9mm hollow point, no matter the brand. If it works in "your gun" it's fine.

Do you really believe this?? [rolleyes]

I used to reload .380 with hollow points (these were experimental hot loads). I would shoot them at a row of water-filled milk jugs. I would retrieve the bullets, almost always find NO deformation and I even RELOADED the same bullets a second time!!

Not al HPs are created equal . . . at least not if your objective is "expansion"!

A 9mm hollow point is a 9mm hollow point, no matter the brand. If it works in "your gun" it's fine.

uh, no...[rolleyes]

There is a ton of crap out there that either doesn't expand, gets plugged on clothes, doesn't penetrate enough, or rely on gimmicky marketing. I'm talking first gen stuff like Hydrashoks, silvertips, glaser safety slug, powrball, etc etc etc.

Stick with modern rounds:Gold Dots, HST, Ranger, Golden Saber. 124gr or 147gr.

Sorry, but crap JHPs are nothing more than overpriced ball ammo. If you're going to carry JHPs, you might as well bother to buy the good stuff. Fed HST and Speer GDHP are pretty reliable in terms of doing what they're actually supposed to do... as well as most of the Winchester Ranger line. (and some of this extends to the PDX, but PDX does that lame 20 round box crap).

-Mike

Nope.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I carry Winchester +p+ JHP in my Walther PPS. Does anyone know how many grains the bullet is on these rounds?

I have a PPS, the manual explicitly calls out to *NOT* use +p+ ammo in it. +P is fine, they just put the standard CYA statement in there about wear.

I run Federal HST, although it seems a little harder to find around here.

I've also picked up PDX1 at wally world and gold dot from FS.

Back
Top Bottom