• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Selectmen order Granby Bow and Gun Club to shut down controversial half-mile-long

As I understand it, the pre-existing use of a property is what is grandfathered WRT to zoning usage laws/regulations, not just pre-existing facilities. Normal evolution and growth of the same usage over time is also grandfathered, but apparently the usage my not be grandfathered if the quantity or nature of the use increases significantly in a short period of time. I also gather what constitutes "significant" and "short time" is somewhat ambiguous, not clearly or consistently defined by current law or case law.

I suspect this is what Granby is using as justification. Clearly adding a range to an existing gun club is not a new use. Whether adding this particular range to this particular club constitutes a significant change in the "quantity" or "nature" of the use appears to be the point in question.

Also, these two lines in the article struck me as strange:
The club is represented at the meeting, but the article makes it sound like the didn't, or weren't allowed to, make their case? [hmmm] ?
Hopefully this does not affect their chances at the next step, which I think should be going to the ZBA.

I'm not sure but I think they declined to comment to the reporter not to those at the meeting.

There are no structures associated with the 1000 yard range- just a little earthwork to get a road to the firing line area and a level area with gravel parking and a cement pad for the firing line. The range beyond 350 yards is pretty low impact other than clearing of trees. I can't for the life of me understand why a private property owner can't cut any/every damn tree he/she wants to cut. Seems that upset tree huggers are part of the mix.

I seriously doubt rounds are leaving the range. Regardless of the ability of the shooter, the long range firing line is elevated quite a bit. Besides the elevation, once you are at 600 yards distance or more, the projectiles are really beginning to come in at quite a downward angle.

Qualification is necessary to use the long range. 1 MOA or better rifles are required, quality optics, and match quality ammo that will remain supersonic at 1000. Even most .308 won't remain supersonic at 1000- so the equipment requirements alone weed out all but those who are seriously into it. Wrong equipment or ammo? You go home. You have to bring your DOPE, and if it's not correct you go home. You can miss the plate and still pass qualification, but you can't miss by much. Rounds must impact the berm, and at distance the berms are very small. Miss the berm during qual and you go home. Seemed to me that almost half of those who showed for orientation DQ'd- some before even taking a shot. Instructions are clear and are supposed to be read, understood, and signed before you show. The whole process is extremely well organized and run, with first shots at a manageable distance before one can tackle the longer distances.

The 350 yard range does have the covered roof structure. I don't agree with any permitting requirements for something as simple as that, as I can't understand ever needing a permit to have a shed in your yard. Again, it's the structure not the 350 range that is closed because the town gov thinks there is a permit issue.

Hopefully the nonsense regarding the 1000 yard range will be resolved. I'd bet money that the 350 yard range structure will be settled. Members can still shoot to 350 yards- and how many ranges beyond 200 are in our neck of the woods? Granby deserves our support now more than ever- not only via donations but via membership.

So I can still show up to the 350?
Do I shoot from the grass or can I use the covered structure? (Serious question, I don't want to cause trouble).

Do I shoot from the grass or can I use the covered structure? (Serious question, I don't want to cause trouble).

Members,

Please read completely.

We regret to inform you that on 08/05/17, the Granby Board of Selectmen (GBOS), acting as the Zoning Enforcement Officer, issued a temporary cease and desist (C&D) order to our club to stop using the 1000 yard range. The GBOS issued the C&D order after reviewing a complaint filed by a Granby resident that alleged the club needed to obtain a special permit for the 1000 yard range. Until further notice, no member may shoot on the 1000 yard range. The club's attorneys will be addressing this C&D order quickly and we hope to have a resolution as soon as possible. Therefore, we are NOT canceling or postponing the upcoming Hyatt Benefit PRS match scheduled for September 17, 2017 at this time.

In addition, and in response to a separate complaint, the GBOS issued a second temporary C&D order relative to the use of the covered rifle range. No member may use the covered rifle range (shoot from under it) until the structure is inspected by a building inspector. Members may use the 100-350 yard rifle range, but must shoot off to the side of the covered rifle range until the inspection is completed. We hope to have this resolved very soon.

These orders DO NOT effect the use of the pistol bays or the archery targets / range.

Please DO NOT contact club officers asking for more information regarding these orders. We will pass on information as soon as we have it. Please be patient and know we are working very hard to quickly remedy the situation.

Thank you for your support and patience as we work through this unfortunate matter.

GB&GC BOD

As usual, liberals and leftists RUIN EVERYTHING THEY COME IN CONTACT WITH!!!!

Much pleasure will be had by many when they are permanently subdued.

Structure closed until permitting resolved. There is some level space to the right as you are looking at the targets. I'd shoot from that area. Anyway, you can use the 350 yd range, just not from the structure.

Structure closed until permitting resolved. There is some level space to the right as you are looking at the targets. I'd shoot from that area. Anyway, you can use the 350 yd range, just not from the structure.

OK cool thank you sir.

I live pretty close to this range. For the better part of a year now all my buddies have been telling me to join, building precision rifles etc for this great new range that opened up. I told them it wouldn't be open long in the great Commonwealth of MA. Glad I didn't sink 4k into that Precision Rifle build.

TBH its not really the moonbats that got this range shut down. It was the goofball shooters buying Barska scopes at Walmart sending rounds over the berm all day.

Bullshit.

There is ZERO evidence of this, stop spreading misinformation.

Agreed. That is complete horse manure: it is practically impossible to send "rounds over the berm" as posited by this post. You would have to shoot offhand and have a convulsion to send a round over the side of a mountain such as the conditions Granby presents.

Biomix soil permits? WTF?

Last edited:
TBH its not really the moonbats that got this range shut down. It was the goofball shooters buying Barska scopes at Walmart sending rounds over the berm all day.

Many people that attempt to qualify to shoot on the extended range DO NOT qualify. There are zero "goofball shooters" using the extended range. You said yourself you're not a member so obviously you have no idea as to the goings on of the club, regardless of where you live.

Donated $50. I'm a member at this club for the 1k also at the Westminster club we just went through this B.S earlier this year. As far as baraska scopes at Granby go you would not even be allowed near the 1k range by whoever is running quals that day they run a very tight ship up there. I sure hope they re open soon. It sucks that the complainants get to use the towns $ to try and get clubs shut down and we have to shell out all kinds of cash for lawyers. Once the town sided with our club and the people complaining about us could of appealed to the court and they had to pony up cash the harassment stopped. Spread the word

Donated $50. I'm a member at this club for the 1k also at the Westminster club we just went through this B.S earlier this year. As far as baraska scopes at Granby go you would not even be allowed near the 1k range by whoever is running quals that day they run a very tight ship up there. I sure hope they re open soon. It sucks that the complainants get to use the towns $ to try and get clubs shut down and we have to shell out all kinds of cash for lawyers. Once the town sided with our club and the people complaining about us could of appealed to the court and they had to pony up cash the harassment stopped. Spread the word

Were the permits needed? If so, this doesn't seem entirely out of line

It's not just here, look at what happened in NH when Ridgeline tried to open a world class facility.
I don't think it's all that unreasonable to submit a new build to the same type of zoning and review as if the landowners wanted to build a motor speedway or some other noisy new or greatly expanded use of the land.

That wouldn't be covered under the Massachusetts range protection law, nor does New Hampshire's expansive 2004 range regulation preemption bill allow a range to just forget to apply for permits when building major expansions.

Heck, I live in New Hampshire, and when my neighbor wanted to subdivide the lot next door and put in a new driveway, I was given the opportunity to file a formal objecting with the ZBA.

Back
Top Bottom