• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seems I've worn out my welcome over at Bike Forum with my gun ownership views.

If you were expecting a bunch of granola eating cyclists to enjoy the fact that you're a gun owner, I gotta wonder about you. [wink]

Naaa. I expected it. Actually I pretty much picked the fight. Wanted to see if there were any similiar leaning folks there. End result, nope, not one. The ones who may be on our side are hidden deep.

Naaa. I expected it. Actually I pretty much picked the fight. Wanted to see if there were any similiar leaning folks there. End result, nope, not one. The ones who may be on our side are hidden deep.

I have a preconceived and, undoubtedly, predjudiced, view of people who ride bicycles. I'm sure they're not all major wussie asses. The fault is all mine.

I'm sure they're not all major wussie asses. The fault is all mine.
Definitely your fault - my wife is doing the PMC as well...

Hadn't thought about getting her some gun swag... [grin]

It's been a few years, er decade, but I used to ride a lot...

I commuted to/fro college on a bike...

I'm sure there are more than their fair share of liberal weenie pacifist cyclers, but there are plenty that don't fit that mold... I will say that when it comes to the interwebz, there are definitely hobbies that correlate with guns and those that definitely don't...

Last edited:
Ride 200 miles over a weekend and get back to me on that.

I'll drive. Thanks. Still find that most bike riders are liberals and granola-crunching, global-warming fighting puss-bags, regardless of the the musculature of their scrawny legs or the degree of callousing of their buttocks.

If I drove over 10 of them, the odds of squashing a conservative or a gun-owner would be slim.

And I'm willing to take that chance.

[wink]

I'll drive. Thanks. Still find that most bike riders are liberals and granola-crunching, global-warming fighting puss-bags, regardless of the the musculature of their scrawny legs or the degree of callousing of their buttocks.

If I drove over 10 of them, the odds of squashing a conservative or a gun-owner would be slim.

[wink]

The wink doesn't make it funny and getting fat while driving isn't exactly masculine.

[wink]

He'd/she'd be the only one with brains enough to get out of the way instead of dropping to their knees in surrender to your front bumper.

Definitely your fault - my wife is doing the PMC as well...

That's awesome about your wife doing the ride as well. How's her training going if you don't mind me asking? She hooked up with a group or is she doing it by themselves?

Still find that most bike riders are liberals and granola-crunching, global-warming fighting puss-bags, regardless of the the musculature of their scrawny legs or the degree of callousing of their buttocks.

There's a lot of riders right here on NES that don't fit the mold you've indicated. No scrawny legs or calloused butt here.

That's awesome about your wife doing the ride as well. How's her training going if you don't mind me asking? She hooked up with a group or is she doing it by themselves?
Group from work is going. She's doing the shorter ride this year - hopes to do the longer one next year...

Training is going well - she's comfortably doing 20m rides at a good pace most days and one or two longer ones each week.

I'm trying to get back in shape so I can train with her, but right now I fall over and die at about 10 miles on an easy trail[sad2] and I don't know what to with all this pavement[wink] - I need dirt, mud and sand or I forget which way the pedals go [rofl2]

I'm trying to get back in shape so I can train with her, but right now I fall over and die at about 10 miles on an easy trail[sad2] and I don't know what to with all this pavement[wink] - I need dirt, mud and sand or I forget which way the pedals go [rofl2]

[laugh] Sounds like my wife Laura. I got her a bike last year so we could go riding together. She enjoys those lazy, slow and level bike trails. When we pushed the speed up a little, she was exhausted right around the same distance as you. At least she didn't fall over, which is good. [smile]

You are not looking in the right places! I know plenty of cyclists that embrace their 2A right. But we are in the minority in most of the US.

When I was quite younger I biked everywhere.....must say I never wore spandex....let's just say I am "self conscious"

Didn't S&W make a bike

Last edited:

I don't know about hidden deep, but I don't find myself on that forum as much as others (I'm "Tortuga!" on bike forums). Most of the guys/gals I know that ride are also shooters (and a couple ares HSLD types), but that's probably just because of military affiliation. The majority of riders do seem to be non-shooters.

When I was quite younger I biked everywhere.....must say I never wore spandex....let's just say I am "self conscious"

Didn't S&W make a bike

S&W slapped their name on a mtb marketed to law enforcement. I'm sure it was made in Taiwan like most lower-mid to mid-range bikes.

Rockriv, you should know this by now, Bike geeks are for the most part full on tree hugging left wing nut jobs... Worked in a bike shop for years, don't know how I kept sane..

I haven't run across that particular scenario but I remain ever vigilant. I was a bike messenger in Hartford for a while and ride in a highly defensive state of mind when I am on the streets. This thread really made me laugh because some of you guys hit the nail on the head with the stereotypes of the two wheeled crowd. I was somewhat ignorant of the stigma that went with being a gun owner when I told some fellow racers I was taking the LTC Safety course. This was a few years ago and the reaction ranged from mild disgust to "why?". That being said, there is a disturbing amount of drivers that swerve, throw objects, or otherwise try to intimidate riders who follow all the rules of the road. I fully sympathize with the annoyance of jacka** bike riders, however, my 200 pound body and 35 pound bike offer no viable threat. All riders know someone who has been hit, and many know of someone in their group of friends who has been critically injured or killed. The driver of a 3000 lb auto has the same if not more responsibility than a CCW.

That being said, there is a disturbing amount of drivers that swerve, throw objects, or otherwise try to intimidate riders who follow all the rules of the road. I fully sympathize with the annoyance of jacka** bike riders, however, my 200 pound body and 35 pound bike offer no viable threat. All riders know someone who has been hit, and many know of someone in their group of friends who has been critically injured or killed. The driver of a 3000 lb auto has the same if not more responsibility than a CCW.

Well put. It's been several years since I've been on a bike, but back when I was, I had a couple of situations where people were going out of their way to try to intimidate me (one case where a guy drove up close behind my rear wheel, and another where someone pulled up along side and edged toward me). I don't intimidate easily, but there's not much you can do when being bullied by an an auto but to give way and flip them off when they're already pulling away and laughing at you. I've seen a couple of a**hole bicyclists over the years, but not many. I'm sure there are at least as many a**hole drivers.

(In hindsight, what I should have done was take down their plates and phone them in. Don't know why I didn't.)

That was entertaining.

After stopping by there and reading the thread, I kind of wished we ordered some Grover, Cookie Monster, or Barney shirts. Or my personal favorite... Lucky Charms. [rofl]

Can you change my order for me Rockriv? The one we got is just way too lame! [shocked]

You have got to be kidding me. [thinking]

I guess it is a good thing you didn't decide to go with the NES AR-15 and NES M-14 logos on the side panels. That would have really pushed them over the edge!

Last edited:

[wink]

[laugh]

Earlier today I was perusing through Bikeforum.net and ran across a thread about your favorite riding jersey. So I posted my US Navy and the NES jersey I'm getting made. I made an off the cuff comment about wearing it on the second day of the PMC to piss off the liberal democrate sheep. [smile] I guess you can say I started it and boy that comment sure brought out those sheep. Got a whole slew of posts and PMs ripping on me and my evil ways. Well, it would seem that one of the mods didn't think it was so funny and I got a warning. Guess I need to play nice with the sheep. [laugh]

Yeah, like that's going to happen. [wink]

Bicycle forums tend to be swayed to the left.

Motorcycle forums tend to be swayed to the right.

Back
Top Bottom