• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking some pointers

djo

Since I don't have my LTC yet, still waiting for my call back from the PD, my options for training are limited. I've been to the public ranges a few times, but really have no idea what I am doing wrong (or right for that matter). I get shots on target but I'm sure there are so many basic things I could be doing better (grip, stance, etc.) to improve accuracy and consistency.

So, the question is, does anyone want to get together and teach me a few things? I obviously do not have my own gun and can't legally buy ammo yet, but I'll cover the costs of whatever I use and then some. I live up in the Lowell/Chelmsford area so anywhere within a 30 mile radius would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Last edited:
Sorry, couldn't resist. [rolleyes][grin]

pointer001.jpg
pointer.jpg
moorland%20point.jpg
e-point5.jpg

Since I don't have my LTC yet, still waiting for my call back from the PD, my options for training are limited. I've been to the public ranges a few times, but really have no idea what I am doing wrong (or right for that matter). I get shots on target but I'm sure there are so many basic things I could be doing better (grip, stance, etc.) to improve accuracy and consistency.

So, the question is, does anyone want to get together and teach me a few things? I obviously do not have my own gun and can't legally buy ammo yet, but I'll cover the costs of whatever I use and then some. I live up in the Lowell/Chelmsford area so anywhere within a 30 mile radius would be ideal.
Dan

Dan:

Couple of things.

For a public rent-a-gun type range, Manchester firing line is not far away. We live in Lowell and it's roughly a 30 minute drive. So not far away at all. For a regular club, I would reccommend Harvard Sportsmans Club. Terrific facilities for just about anything anything you want to do.
Training wise, there are a TON of facilities and trainers within reasonable driving distance of you. I'd recommend you have a look at the training section here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php/17-Training for something that works for you.

Dan, I shoot at Harvard Sportsmens Club every Saturday and Sunday morning. Let me know if you're interested in going and what you like to shoot. If you don't belong to a club, Harvard is the best around. That may not be an unbiased opinion.

Take a class or hire an instructor to do some private or semi-private training. I bet that you could find an instructor who'd be willing to provide a firearm while you wait for your license.

For pistol, check with Jim Conway or one of the other guys from NEShooters. For rifle, loaner rifles are always available at an Appleseed clinic.

Thanks guys. I have been to MFL a few times, and have a lot of fun. I guess I should have worded it differently, I am looking for someone to shoot with that can give me tips on what to do differently. I was staying away from the formal training classes offered just because I don't feel like I'm at a level where I'd get the most out of it, maybe I'm wrong though.

Gerry, I may take you up on that offer, thanks. I do not yet belong to a club, was planning to wait until I get my LTC to join but I should probably check some out ahead of time.

Thanks again,
Dan

Thanks guys. I have been to MFL a few times, and have a lot of fun. I guess I should have worded it differently, I am looking for someone to shoot with that can give me tips on what to do differently. I was staying away from the formal training classes offered just because I don't feel like I'm at a level where I'd get the most out of it, maybe I'm wrong though.
Dan

Yup, you're wrong. You may not be skilled enough for a certain level of training, but no one is too inexperienced (or too experienced) for fundamental training. In fact, you may be doing yourself harm by practicing without some basic fundamental training, because you're going to be teaching yourself bad habits.

Both the programs I suggested are solid fundamental training, perfect for beginners. If nothing else, they'll give you some basic lessons that you can take with you and repeat on your own.

Back
Top Bottom