Seeking help

RLBreton

NES Member
Hi Kids--

Is anyone available to talk me OUT of buying a 1911? Aside of the jam-o-matic\old-tyme-y-ness and all the crap the striker fired\polymer\Glock-only guys have to say, there's something visceral...something primal(?)...something handcrafty drawing me to buying a 1911-style pistol.

My wallet thanks you in advance!

Dear Lord...please help me :D

LOL. You are looking for someone on this forum to try and convince you to NOT buy a 1911?!? GFL in that pursuit.

Buying a 1911 was one of the best decisions (with respect to firearms) that I ever made.

If you are looking for a nice piece that won't hurt your wallet too badly, I would go with the all stainless Ruger SR1911.

Hi Kids--

Is anyone available to talk me OUT of buying a 1911? Aside of the jam-o-matic\old-tyme-y-ness and all the crap the striker fired\polymer\Glock-only guys have to say, there's something visceral...something primal(?)...something handcrafty drawing me to buying a 1911-style pistol.

My wallet thanks you in advance!

Dear Lord...please help me :D

Saw a CZ 75 for sale in a shop this week, was dead sexy. Most of the ergonomics of a 1911 with the benefit of a high-cap mag and lack of a backstrap safety.

I have (6) Glocks, they're my carry and IDPA/USPA choice of firearms.
I have (3) 1911's in .45, (1) in 9mm and (3) 1911 styled pistols in .380.

The Glocks are ugly and functional.
The 1911's are beautiful mechanical pieces of artwork.

Everybody should own a 1911,
and a good revolver, (preferably two, one in .22 and one in .38/.357),
and a lever-action carbine.

Be sure to buy a belt with suspenders already attached. It'll help carrying the thing. [rofl]

EDIT

I own a few 1911's - probably too many at this point. 2 of them were on designs of carrying the beasts. LOL

But as far as craftsmanship, there is nothing from Colt in my safe that matches my 08 Hammerless. The slide closes like a bank vault. There is no room between the slide and frame anywhere. THAT'S craftsmanship. 100yo craftsmanship!

I'll be the voice of opposition in this case. Owned two 1911s both S&W with scandium frames. One full size with rail, one officer model. Sold both.
I don't have anything against them per say - triggers are nice, grip is pretty comfortable. But ammo was expensive, too heavy to carry (for me), low capacity, and the main reason I didn't like those two is the recoil impulse. I think the recoil feel was because of the scandium frame and steel slide. Ive shot standard (all steel) ones and they felt better.
If I buy another it will be a military/collectable of some sort. I don't see one ever being a regular shooter.

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, give me the money you were going to use and I will buy one to let you know what rubbish they are.[wink]

Had a 1911 (Colt). Sold it. Don't plan on ever getting another.

For the money that I'd have to spend on a nice one there are lots of other guns I'd rather have.

It's ok. You already said yourself you don't really want a 1911. If you actually wanted to buy into the cult of St Browning, you'd have long since owned the 1911 and be posting photos of your recent Hi-Power purchase.

Besides, you'd probably hate shooting .45 ACP, and everybody knows that only commies buy them chambered in anything else (except maybe .38 Super). You're not a Marxist, are you?

No, you shouldn't buy a 1911. It's not really your thing; you'd probably hate the unstoppable awesomeness that is real steel, anyway.

Go with the Five-seveN instead. [pot]

Last edited:
There are many reasons not to buy a 1911.
You should never buy just one 1911, you should buy two.

1. Spare parts
2. You don't want your 1911's to get lonely.
3. Shooting two 1911's whilst yelling and jumping through the air.
4. Anti-tank defense if you have run out of sticky bombs.

I could go on and on.....

There are many reasons not to buy a 1911.
You should never buy just one 1911, you should buy two.

1. Spare parts
2. You don't want your 1911's to get lonely.
3. Shooting two 1911's whilst yelling and jumping through the air.
4. Anti-tank defense if you have run out of sticky bombs.

I could go on and on.....
QFMFT!

Back
Top Bottom