• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking help

"Everybody should own a 1911,
and a good revolver, (preferably two, one in .22 and one in .38/.357),
and a lever-action carbine."

Check 3 1911's
Check 2 revolvers 1 in .22 and 1 in .38 .357
Check a .44 mag Marlin Lever action
And just for good measure an AR or 2 and a Mini-14 and just for shits and giggles an 870 12 gauge for the up close and personal touch.

I am here to help!

Check 3 1911's
And just for good measure an AR or 2 and a Mini-14 and just for shits and giggles an 870 12 gauge for the up close and personal touch.

Correct!

Last firearm I would willingly part with.

mgUkzP8.jpg

UcrTT3p.jpg

Check 3 1911's

Gun Owners Starter Kit right there. Base level that is.

You can swap the lever action for a bolt action rifle if you wish. [smile]

I have had a 1911 on my wish list for 50 years....

finally got one,I have not fired it yet.

Everyone should own a 1911, a 22lr pistol/revolver, a J frame and a Rem 870.....

and I have had Glocks since 1991 or so....

Buy the 1911, there are entry level ones to mortgage the house ones....

read up on the history of it while admiring that it was made and designed over 100 years ago, with the tools of the time, and is still in service today

Check out www.DerrPrecision.com ..... Greg does amazing work, the pictures on his site are as amazing as his gunsmithing.

Gun Owners Starter Kit right there. Base level that is.

You can swap the lever action for a bolt action rifle if you wish. [smile]

Awwww ... Man ... That means I did it wrong. Now I'm gonna haft a get another safe and start over.

R

You really don't want a 1911. You wouldn't want to risk something that looks like this taking up space in your safe, or on your hip.
MqzRln5.jpg

Definitely not.

Definitely don't even think about this guy.
VdUfhFS.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. You are looking for someone on this forum to try and convince you to NOT buy a 1911?!? GFL in that pursuit.

Buying a 1911 was one of the best decisions (with respect to firearms) that I ever made.

If you are looking for a nice piece that won't hurt your wallet too badly, I would go with the all stainless Ruger SR1911.

Great advice! I took it few years back and never regret it.

I bought a RIA mid sized..... something to start with, I'm sure I will work my way up the ladder to a nice Colt someday.

Now a Model 10 revolver or a K frame .357 ( Model 13 or 19) is at the top of the list, followed by an old K-17 22LR revolver

If I sold off some of this tupperware I could go buy them all tomorrow

A 1911 is a beautiful thing.
Just make sure you already have at least a shotgun and a revolver that you like before you plunk down all that cash.
The only other reason not to buy a 1911: You can afford an STI 2011

Go buy a revolver instead?

Nahhh... Get both... [smile]

I have three 1911's so far. All in .45ACP. One is a high capacity from the mid 90's. One is a WWII surplus that my father made into an IPSC race gun. The final (and newest) one if the DE1911C. As I mentioned earlier, I plan to get another 1911 as soon as possible. I'll probably end up getting more of them over the years. I might get a lever action carbine at some point (probably in the next couple of years, as $$ allows). That will most likely be in .357 Magnum (since I have a GP100 in that caliber too).

BTW, I have a 22LR pistol too. It's a High Standard from before the 80's. Set up as a competition gun.

After 2 Beretta 92's, two M&P9's, 4 Shields, Ruger SR9, Sig 226, HK VP9, I finally found my holy grail. Those grips were made by my neighbor. It is a 9MM.

000_0438.jpg

In your case I would say "get one".

I don't have one because of a couple reasons:

1. Before I buy something I research it to death. I read and learn everything I can. It would take years for me to catch up and decide which one to buy.

2. I never trained with one so I do not know the proper manual of arms. I would not feel comfortable at all carrying one for self defense.

Years ago I would rent them at S&W and have a great time shooting them. The huge .45 and the blast and recoil and comfy grip feel great.

I just don't want to get involved at this point because it is like a whole new "platform" for me.

I can't invest in something that I wont carry or train with. In training classes, other people who had them were dealing with jam o matics on their hands.

If I can't fix it and tear it down, I don't want it.

They are cool though. Before you drop all that money, you should do lots of research on specific forums so you don't buy a model or from a company you don't 100% love.

I like them.
SW PC 1911 and a SW base model with the awful bill board slide. Bought it cheap for the ugly tattoo they gave these.
I still want a surplus 1942 1911 to go with my 1942 M1 garand and 1942 dated 1903a3

I have 2, so far. First was a Para, then an E-series S&W. The Smith is my EDC, 8+1 in a crossbreed Supertuck. Love that gun.

My next handgun will likely be another 1911, hopefully in 10mm if I can find space for ammo.

Lady Radtekk is looking at one in 9mm for HER next gun. She carries a Shield, fits her hand better than her G26. I think if I had a compact 1911 I wouldn't have it anymore because she would have perma-borrowed it...

Buy the gun, don't look back. Just make sure you have space for another. Or three...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom