Seeking .45-70 Government

Legit load. If you check out old Lyman manuals they had unique in almost every rifle cartridge if not all of them.

They aren't in the Lyman 50th edition probably for good reason. I would postulate that a small charge of a fast burning powder (eg unique) provides little margin for error in the charge, especially under a heavy bullet. It also seems like inefficient use of a long barrel.

They aren't in the Lyman 50th edition probably for good reason. I would postulate that a small charge of a fast burning powder (eg unique) provides little margin for error in the charge, especially under a heavy bullet. It also seems like inefficient use of a long barrel.
Check the cast bullet manuals not standard Lyman manuals.
These are well known and used loads. They also vary in powder charge quite a bit without issues. I think you can go as low as 9 or 10 and up to 14 or so with a 405.
No voodoo here just good classic gallery loads that aren’t used any more.

Thats a good grouping at 25 yds.
Sorry I forgot to include the distance, that is 100yds. I put a lot of trial and error load development into that recipe. I was shooting cast bullet steel silhouettes out to 500yds at the time.
is that a legit load? Between the relatively fast burn rate of the pistol powder + heavy projectile, id expect a rapid pressure spike. Regardless it really highlights the incredible range of loadings suitable for the 45-70. I’ve only loaded with IMR3031 and AA1680 which is worlds away from unique!
Absolutely, the only place you will find data for that exact bullet is in a Lee load manual. Unique powder is legendary for use in cast bullet rifle loads. Especially in the straight walled cases.
Think about the mechanics of a straight walled case. They are much more like an oversized pistol case. The only way a straight walled case can build pressure is by bullet weight and resistance as it travels down the bore. In addition to what I mentioned above, bottle necked cases also use the bottle neck to build pressure.

Side note volume for volume 13 grains of unique is equal in volume to about 32 grains of H4198.

The reason they aren't included anymore IMO, is because they have already published them over and over in past manuals, and there are many powders available now that weren't available say pre 1990's. New powdeds that get heavily marketed are always the new hot, and that's what the people want.

The reason they aren't included anymore IMO, is because they have already published them over and over in past manuals, and there are many powders available now that weren't available say pre 1990's. New powdeds that get heavily marketed are always the new hot, and that's what the people want.
Agreed. Between no one shooting gallery anymore and them wanting you to sell you trail boss 9 ounces at a time.

This is from Lyman's 45th edition (1970).
And thats my silhouette load. Feel free to use at your own risk.
That is what a 500gr spitzer looks like. Not a Lee. I couldn't find a Lee at the moment.
I was mistaken, it is not in the Lee load book.
View attachment 680099
Nice! If you notice my avatar pic is that bullet mould.

It is legit and many people use it but I prefer something that takes up a bit more space in that cavernous case. I use 5744.
Unless someone is extremely careful, any load that could allow a double charge is a really bad idea.

For those who are extremely careful, carry on.

The Springfield in question.
1884 - made in late 1885, has Buffington rear sight. Was missing one of the rear sight knurled screws. Had a new one made. Had the lock plate color case hardened again. Had a new front sight made (original is in the little bag) Had to make a new spring for the hammer as there was a crack in it.

Otherwise, I just cleaned 100 years of old oil and grease out of everything.

1667220538474.png

1667220613904.png
1667220669297.png

Yeah, that was a typo, fixed it. 1600 was the number in the old reloading manual that came with the rifle.
The fellow I am delivering this to does not do reloading, he just likes the idea of hunting with a single shot as it is more sporting.
Still ... you are better off buying the components and reloading the ammo with a bullet sized for the rifle.

You are literally paying more for 100 rounds of factory ammo sized to sh*tty .458.

Bonus ... you can keep the components after you gift the rifle.

Well worth it. 100 factory rounds would cost you $200 plus shipping on the low end
Way more. That would be the cheapest 45/70 ammo Walmart sold a year before COVID.

When I blew up the BFR 6 months before COVID, I wanted to test the repairs with factory ammo, I paid around $40 per box of 20 at Walmart.

Way more. That would be the cheapest 45/70 ammo Walmart sold a year before COVID.

When I blew up the BFR 6 months before COVID, I wanted to test the repairs with factory ammo, I paid around $40 per box of 20 at Walmart.
I’m looking online and seeing $2 listed. Probably junk or insane shipping.

That will let you slug the bore and make sure you're using the proper size boolits. After much test firing, of course. ;)
Here was the first 5 shots I took with it, standing, off hand, 100 yards.

First one is the outer ring, second was the closest to the first, third was high center, fourth and fifth are the touching ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_093605.jpg
    IMG_20190928_093605.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 7
What load? The Lyman 457125 is probably the closest you'll get to the original bullet but 500 grains of lead pushed by a case full of black powder produces a fair amount of recoil.

First one is the outer ring, second was the closest to the first, third was high center, fourth and fifth are the touching ones.

Were the sights modded on your TD ? Im surprised you can even hit paper at 100 yds, let alone shoot a decent group offhand. Most all TD's use about a 275+ yd battle zero which typically puts your 100 yd groups about 20" high. Its a well know issue with TDs (mine included)

Were the sights modded on your TD ? Im surprised you can even hit paper at 100 yds, let alone shoot a decent group offhand. Most all TD's use about a 275+ yd battle zero which typically puts your 100 yd groups about 20" high. Its a well know issue with TDs (mine included)
Interesting, I learned something new.

Off hand, with those sights, a barrel that is over 100 years old, wood that is also over 100 years old and not beded ... that is really good shooting.

If you tailor the rounds to the rifle you can probably get even tighter.

I am impressed. Very nice.

BROC APPROVED. 🥦🥦🥦🥦🥦/5

Yes, I had a new front sight made to take the zero down to 100 yards or so. The recipient of this gift said most of the deer hunting he does is well under 200 yards is typically in the 100 range. He walks the tree lines around farms and takes the open field shot when it is safe and ethical.

Back
Top Bottom