Seeking .45-70 Government

Darksideblues42

NES Life Member
NES Member
Hi NES folks!

I have spent a few years putting an 1884 Trapdoor back together, cleaning it, making a few replacement parts, etc.

It is in working condition and is safe to fire.

Before the world stopped, it was fairly easy to find lower pressure rounds to feed it.

Now that it is about time to present it to the new owner (a retiring fellow from my company) finding rounds is a problem.

Anyone have a source for some 1600 FPS or less .45-70 Government rounds? Preferably non-jacketed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi NES folks!

I have spent a few years putting an 1884 Trapdoor back together, cleaning it, making a few replacement parts, etc.

It is in working condition and is safe to fire.

Before the world stopped, it was fairly easy to find lower pressure rounds to feed it.

Now that it is about time to present it to the new owner (a retiring fellow from my company) finding rounds is a problem.

Anyone have a source for some 16,000 FPS or less .45-70 Government rounds? Preferably non-jacketed.

Thanks!

Whoa there..... "16000 fps" ?? First clear up your typo before you blow up your TD and kill yourself . Rule #1 keep TD velocities UNDER 1400 fps. Most guys reload and are around 1250 fps with the cast 405 rnfp. Do NOT run commercial "Lever action " ammo through a TD , too high a pressure. Seek out trap door safe ammo.

Whoa there..... "16000 fps" ?? First clear up your typo before you blow up your TD and kill yourself . Rule #1 keep TD velocities UNDER 1400 fps. Most guys reload and are around 1250 fps with the cast 405 rnfp. Do NOT run commercial "Lever action " ammo through a TD , too high a pressure. Seek out trap door safe ammo.
Yeah, that was a typo, fixed it. 1600 was the number in the old reloading manual that came with the rifle.
The fellow I am delivering this to does not do reloading, he just likes the idea of hunting with a single shot as it is more sporting.

Anyone have a source for some 1600 FPS or less .45-70 Government rounds? Preferably non-jacketed.

Thanks!
The reloading bench.

Load with BP, it will be good to go.

You can also do reduced loads with smokeless. It is very easy to stay below 1600. 1600 would be pushing 45/70 pretty damn hard, for any gun.

45/70 is a very easy round to reload. Plenty of powders, plenty case space, can go hard AF or very soft.

For under $300 you can be set up to reload 45/70. Today, $300 might get you 100 factory rounds - if you find cheap ones. Realistically you might get 70 - 80 rounds for $300. F*ck that.

I loaded my first 100 blackpowder loads with this hand loading tool. You can get it for $45. Call it another $60 for dies = $105.

Let's say you buy primers for $100 + $50 for powder ($50 is high on purpose) = 105 + 100 + 50 = $255

100 starling brass = $110 shipped on gun broker (if you don't want to wait for a deal) - this brass can be reloaded over 10x so you are really paying about $10 for 100 pieces.

= $265.
Add 200 bullets at $48
Total = $313

Real cost to reload your first 100 (I will use 30 grains for smokeless).

$40 for powder = $0.17/round
$100 for primers = $0.10/round
$100 for Brass (assuming 10 loads each - can get more) = $0.10/round
Bullets - we will use Missouri Bullet Co at $48 per 200 405g lead = $0.24/ round

Cost for one reloaded round = $0.61

Good luck finding any decent 45/70 ammo for under $3/round.

I would recommend a single stage press, but if ilyou want to go cheap, this will do it.

No need to trim and no need to anneal.

download (7).jpeg

Last edited:
Buy a Lee loader for him

View: https://youtu.be/3duhNVjAu6E

45/70 is a very easy round to load. I used a Lee Classic for a few years just fine. My favorite load is a 405gr cast bullet over 13.0gr of Unique. It clocks 1,300FPS over my chrono and is very soft shooting and economical. Tell ya what, you get a handloader and I've got some brass and cast bullets I can part with to get you started. (Free)

Wow, $4.31 a round. Of course with a single shot trap door just used for hunting, 100 rounds could last a very long time.
Meh, those are .458.

Trapdoor rifles are all over, chances are it needs a .460 or .459.

That is the problem with commercial ammo, why reloading is better for these guns. I don't understand why everyone keeps selling cast bullets sized .458.

What I described above will load a lot more than 100 rounds for less money and the load will be tailored to the rifle.

Even buying commercial cast bullets, most times you can specify the size you want.

Hi! You can use 45/70 shells, 45/90 or even 45/120 just trim them down. Some people use @12g Unique behind a 405g lead round. Use some fiberfill to keep it up against the primer (fiberfill will not cause chamber ringing unless you stuff it jam packed). Trailboss is also good.

Hi! You can use 45/70 shells, 45/90 or even 45/120 just trim them down. Some people use @12g Unique behind a 405g lead round. Use some fiberfill to keep it up against the primer (fiberfill will not cause chamber ringing unless you stuff it jam packed). Trailboss is also good.
Good luck finding Trailboss 😂
Production stopped like a year or 2 ago if I recall

12gr Unique with the Lee 500gr Spitzer will shoot 1.5" groups all day long in my TD. I don't know what the velocity is, but I can watch them go down range.

12gr Unique with the Lee 500gr Spitzer will shoot 1.5" groups all day long in my TD. I don't know what the velocity is, but I can watch them go down range.

is that a legit load? Between the relatively fast burn rate of the pistol powder + heavy projectile, id expect a rapid pressure spike. Regardless it really highlights the incredible range of loadings suitable for the 45-70. I’ve only loaded with IMR3031 and AA1680 which is worlds away from unique!

is that a legit load? Between the relatively fast burn rate of the pistol powder + heavy projectile, id expect a rapid pressure spike. Regardless it really highlights the incredible range of loadings suitable for the 45-70. I’ve only loaded with IMR3031 and AA1680 which is worlds away from unique!
Legit load. If you check out old Lyman manuals they had unique in almost every rifle cartridge if not all of them.

Yeah, that was a typo, fixed it. 1600 was the number in the old reloading manual that came with the rifle.
The fellow I am delivering this to does not do reloading, he just likes the idea of hunting with a single shot as it is more sporting.
Not for a bear country hunt I take it. Sporting single versus a brown bear would require ice water in your veins.

Back
Top Bottom