• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Seeking .45-70 Government

I disagree. Filler can become a projectile that can hit the bottom of the bullet, bumping its diameter and ringing the chamber.

Use a bulky powder. Like I said before 12 grains of unique is volume for volume the same as 32 grains of H4198. It’s not about weight it’s about volume.
I think this has proven to be untrue. At least other reviews have said this was thought up as a concern, but no evidence of its occurence was found

I think this has proven to be untrue. At least other reviews have said this was thought up as a concern, but no evidence of its occurence was found
I’ve read both sides. My concern is that I don’t want to chance it vs running a bulky powder by itself.

If you are using heavily reduced loads, in 45/70, my first choice would be a bulky powder. My second choice would be a filler.

Only because there is so much sh*t information online about fillers, you ask 100 people and they do 110 different things. Some will scare the sh*t out of you, some will tell you it is fine. If a reloading book is not telling me what filler to use, I doubt I will ever use a filler.

The case is pretty long, 32 grains of 4198 leaves quite a bit of empty space, even when loading with a 500gr bullet, imagine half that.

My concern would be ... 1. A light load, 2. A double load, 3. Maybe the primer not igniting the powder properly.

Anyway, 32gr of 4198 is soft AF already, I can't imagine using less than that.

The proper load for a trapdoor is the holy black powder. Compress it and have fun.

For those following, I had a friend make a display/presentation case.
The clock is a WWII Era Navy Mark I Deck Clock - the recipient served in the Navy for a few years (not WWII Vintage though, think late 70's and 80's)
The Case is made from Walnut, some of which is older than this country as it came from reclaimed floor joists as he remodeled his house.
Has two recessed locks on the top, LED lighting, a tempered glass front, and a "communion cup" style platform for 5 rounds (one shown)
1669476537623.png

For those following, I had a friend make a display/presentation case.
The clock is a WWII Era Navy Mark I Deck Clock - the recipient served in the Navy for a few years (not WWII Vintage though, think late 70's and 80's)
The Case is made from Walnut, some of which is older than this country as it came from reclaimed floor joists as he remodeled his house.
Has two recessed locks on the top, LED lighting, a tempered glass front, and a "communion cup" style platform for 5 rounds (one shown)
View attachment 690906
That’s a pretty awesome gift. It could use some color background though so the wood doesn’t wash each other out.

A green or red velvet would look good there.
It looks WAY better with the lights on.

The walnut has a soft golden glow much like dark amber honey.

The recipient had earlier stated that he loves well made, well treated wood. No need to cover up craftsmanship with "70's swinger club crap"

It looks WAY better with the lights on.

The walnut has a soft golden glow much like dark amber honey.

The recipient had earlier stated that he loves well made, well treated wood. No need to cover up craftsmanship with "70's swinger club crap"
That’s all that matters, it’s an awesome looking gift!

I am having a hell of a time getting powder with load data available for a reduced power smokeless load.
Looks like Hodgdon VARGET is a good option - any one know where I can actually find some?

Here is the rifle all lit up in the case.

1670899062654.png

I have zero powder on hand.
Never reloaded more than for a class. (wife said I didn't have the space)
Any suggestions are welcome on something that is available, will work with a 390 grain hollow base projectile, and not blow up the rifle!

I have zero powder on hand.
Never reloaded more than for a class. (wife said I didn't have the space)
Any suggestions are welcome on something that is available, will work with a 390 grain hollow base projectile, and not blow up the rifle!
Black Powder.

Hunter's Rendezvous is not far from you.

BP is easier to reload than smokeless and 45/70 loves it, it shoots much better with BP than any smokeless load.

Don't take my word for it, go read the BPCR forums and you will find plenty of threads how people that try smokeless can't get the same accuracy they get with BP.

So, I ended up with a load of 28 grains of IMR 4198 behind a 395 grain all lead projectile.

Loaded 100 rounds this morning.

I want to be 100% sure this is normal, but I ended up with a +-1.5 grain weight variance in the loaded rounds at the end of the day.

Is that okay in the grand scheme of things? Powder was dead nuts exact each time according to the scale.

yea man you should be fine with that, between 395gr cast or swaged lead bullets and chunky 45-70 brass your gonna see some variance in the complete cartridge. I'll bet if you weigh your projectiles and brass alone you'll see the variance.

yea man you should be fine with that, between 395gr cast or swaged lead bullets and chunky 45-70 brass your gonna see some variance in the complete cartridge. I'll bet if you weigh your projectiles and brass alone you'll see the variance.
Thanks, just don't want to damage anything.

First time reloading!

So, I ended up with a load of 28 grains of IMR 4198 behind a 395 grain all lead projectile.

I want to be 100% sure this is normal, but I ended up with a +-1.5 grain weight variance in the loaded rounds at the end of the day.

Is that okay in the grand scheme of things? Powder was dead nuts exact each time according to the scale.
That’s totally normal. There is variance in the brass and the bullets. As long as your powder was spot on you’re good to go.

Hi NES folks!

I have spent a few years putting an 1884 Trapdoor back together, cleaning it, making a few replacement parts, etc.

It is in working condition and is safe to fire.

Before the world stopped, it was fairly easy to find lower pressure rounds to feed it.

Now that it is about time to present it to the new owner (a retiring fellow from my company) finding rounds is a problem.

Anyone have a source for some 1600 FPS or less .45-70 Government rounds? Preferably non-jacketed.

Thanks!
spend the money and get a good reproduction then you can shoot anything out of it, i have an original shiloh sharps repro [ late 80's production] which will handle full power loads with ease . 500 grain lee cast bullets are a hoot to shoot

We need some pics! How do those reloads look? 😍

spend the money and get a good reproduction then you can shoot anything out of it, i have an original shiloh sharps repro [ late 80's production] which will handle full power loads with ease . 500 grain lee cast bullets are a hoot to shoot
Did you actually read anything beyond the title 😂

That's plenty fine for variance on loaded cases. When I'm checking charge weights in my cases I have to hit the zero button on my digital scale with almost every case......empty cases easily vary 1 or 2 grains by weight.

Back
Top Bottom