• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

seeing the numbers @ long range ...

Gentlemen - I am seeking wisdom on seeing the target numbers at long range - especially when they're below the bullseye & close together - so's I don't crossfire onto the esteemed competitors targets next to mine

some of the clubs have the numbers on the upper corners of the target frames, which are good, but the long distance 200-600 yd ones are troubling these old eyeballs. the bullseyes are ok - it's mostly the numbers

looks like it's 2 things-
the front sight base/muzzle cover up the boards
the other day with glare/boil it was even tough to tell the white & black boards apart

(just got new glasses last month, so I can see 'em ok when sitting or standing mostly trouble is prone)

any hints?
Thanks!

when theres a really heavy boil, number boards can be tough to see (ESPECIALLY @ Reading in bright sunny conditions)

Nashuas number boards are ~15' above the targets up the berm....downside, they're (for me) much harder to double-check myself on (since I have to aim WAY above the target to double check). At Camp Perry, the number boards are 6' tall, designed to be seen @ 1000yds

it comes down to trusting your NPA. if you're set up properly, you'll come up on your own target after the shot recoils through.

that being said...ive gone as far as counting over from the nearest number I COULD see....or simply waiting for the guy next to me to shoot and seeing which target goes down lol

An optometrist shooter told me he could make glasses for prone shooting. He said the problem was in the prone position, the glasses end up in a funny orientation to the eye, so they don't correct properly. He told me to bring in my rifle and he'd be able to observe/measure things and prescribe glasses for prone shooting. That guy retired long ago, but any optometrist shooter should be able to help.

An optometrist shooter told me he could make glasses for prone shooting. He said the problem was in the prone position, the glasses end up in a funny orientation to the eye, so they don't correct properly. He told me to bring in my rifle and he'd be able to observe/measure things and prescribe glasses for prone shooting. That guy retired long ago, but any optometrist shooter should be able to help.

LIke to know who makes glasses for this also. B jones makes a set with bendable frames for short money BUT if you need to adjust them for different position they going to break... Then there is the Jagi and noblochs.... lot of coin to drop with out thrying them fisrt.??? This is where I am stuck I need lenses but dont know how or which way to aproach the holder of the lense? Im thinking Bjones and buy a few pairs BUT that leads to more shit I have to bring/remember ect ect.
As for keeping track of your target number so far in my little experience I been able to track my target numbers by pretty well as mentioned by working on NPA. although so far the number have not been grossly high or low above the targets.

Easiest way is find your number and come straight up/down (depending where the numbers are) to your target...X fires will kill you. For long range, especially 1000yds a great NPA is critical...usually at 600yds I can maintain NPA pretty good but it is so difficult at real long distance to do. The last thing to check before going to sight picture is target number.

Look into Decot sport glasses. You can get them with an inverted bifocal if you need a near correction ( I think they do a minimum of +.75).

Back
Top Bottom