Seeing a therapist?

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Best thing to do for starters, and if you’re physically able, is to start a workout program. You’d be amazed how much better you feel both mentally and physically after the first week. I don’t know what the scientific terms are for it, but it releases some type of chemical in your brain and seriously will make you feel a hundred times better just doing that a couple times a week.

Try it, what have you got to lose? You’ll save money, maybe lose a few pounds, strengthen your mind and be better prepared for whatever the next day brings.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd like to know the specifics, no offense. Like others have said, unless you are so far off the rails the therapists think you are a direct danger to someone (including yourself), they simply can't just go blabbing to authorities.

I've had a peer support guy tell me I'd be surprised how many people are using EAP. If they were tagging everyone with some kind of issue, the government would be quite a bit smaller. I didn't realize it until we were working together for an extended time period and the amount of time he was '10-6' was astounding.

I WILL say, I know of one incident that made the news, so it's public information. The guy's life was off the rails: PTSD from a legitimate issue, juvenile daughter was skidding, couple other things I'm sure I don't know about. He was seeking help, but got caught pissing hot. Yeah, he was let go. Even so, what he did to get the PTSD (put his own life in direct danger to try and save someone but was unsuccessful and had to drag a dead 3 year old out of a collapsed building) was enough for me to be willing to fight for his job as a union rep. He decided not to fight it and just left.
I’ll PM you. Long and short is the provider didn’t blab, but commands have been well known to go if the rails when they find people in some positions are seeing a mental health provider. It’s as wrong as wrong can be, but it does happen.

Last edited:

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's fundamentally bad advice. It's probably dangerous also. You're welcome to give your thoughts. But if your opinion can put a person who needs help in danger you should expect negative feedback.
Going from zero to Lithium on the basis of one paragraph saying "I'm having some trouble dealing with my divorce" is also not good advice.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best thing to do for starters, and if you’re physically able, is to start a workout program. You’d be amazed how much better you feel both mentally and physically after the first week. I don’t know what the scientific terms are for it, but it releases some type of chemical in your brain and seriously will make you feel a hundred times better just doing that a couple times a week.

Try it, what have you got to lose? You’ll save money, maybe lose a few pounds, strengthen your mind and be better prepared for whatever the next day brings.
Endorphins. There are about 20 different kinds, but Beta Endorphin is the strongest. It's reportedly stronger than morphine and not physically addictive. Exercise, stress, pain, and sex cause the pituitary gland in the brain to release endorphins. They are basically neurotransmitters like serotonin and norepinephrine.

desertr8der

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I didn't feel like reading four pages. Based on personal experience with mental health. If you don't go, and try to shoulder the burden of what's going on it will eat you alive. Better to have your guns temporarily removed than be dead because you couldn't take it anymore. I was never committed but took medication and went to therapy 2x a week. It's on my records along with being a craaazy veteran. Find a therapist you like, but at least open the door and get evaluated. You're not alone.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Anyone and everyone in this thread advising OP not to seek help needs to STFU immediately. Especially the ones that told him to “tough it out”.

Would you advise someone to tough out cancer? Pneumonia? Broken bones?

Your brain is an organ like all the rest and needs care and attention just the same.

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Anyone and everyone in this thread advising OP not to seek help needs to STFU immediately. Especially the ones that told him to “tough it out”.

Would you advise someone to tough out cancer? Pneumonia? Broken bones?

Your brain is an organ like all the rest and needs care and attention just the same.
People who say to tough things out that absolutely do not need to be toughed out only highlight themselves as insecure try hards.

rommel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To try to help the op a little. Here is my synopsis of the first 100 post. 2 schools of thought seem to dominate. Those who feel it is a bad move to seek help because of some sort of irrational fear that it will somehow haunt you down the road. I may add that it appears that zero of these people have ever sought mental health treatment. Then there is the predominant consensus, which appears to come from people with first hand knowledge, who feel you absolutely should seek help.

One more thing to consider, we are all very strong 2A people. I would argue that even if there is a very longshot possibility that it may come back to haunt you, then your overall health supercedes being able to legally possess a gun. After all, what is the purpose of being able to possess a gun in the first place? I think it has to do with protection and preservation of yourself and loved ones. I find it disturbing people are saying to not protect yourself now when there are danger signs so that you can increase your odds of possessing a gun by say 1% in the future which may or may not have real danger? If you have a serious physical disorder and it is affecting your life then you get the help you need to take care of that. Same goes for mental health.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is complete and utter nonsense.

First, physicians practicing in MA have had to be licensed by the state for a very long time. That is nothing new.

Second, there is no law or regulation requiring physicians to provide medical records to the state. In fact, federal law (HIPAA) strictly forbids them from doing so.

There are a few situations where physicians must contact authorities about a patient 1) if they believe the patient is in danger of harming themselves or others, and 2) if the patient has been diagnosed with certain infectious diseases. Your garden variety anxiety or depression does not meet those criteria.

Goodness gracious! Where do people come up with this silliness?
/Thread

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Where was I talking about medication?
The general drift of this thread reads like, OP:"I feel bad. Any ideas?" NES:"ZOMG! YOU HAVE TO SEE A PROFESSIONAL RIGHT AWAY!" without any actual knowledge of what's going on in the guy's life.

I can't help but feel he regrets asking the question. I would in his shoes.

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't seek help. I'm saying he didn't say enough to indicate one way or the other.

Beyond that, sure, the government isn't the boogie man (at least unless Hillary somehow get's placed as VP and Biden or Lizzie commits suicide two weeks into their term). But they DO have the access some of us have concerns over. Whether they use that nefariously or not, the potential exists. Not unlike the potential for bad acts by whoever eventually replaces Pinard in Littleton. Will he do bad things? Who knows. Probably not. Can he? Yes. Can his successor? Yes.

Note the OP did not say, "I feel like killing myself. Should I look for help?" My comments might be somewhat different if he had.

Last edited:

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It's fundamentally bad advice. It's probably dangerous also. You're welcome to give your thoughts. But if your opinion can put a person who needs help in danger you should expect negative feedback.
Advice on the gun issue presented without a value judgement sticks to the facts, and does not attempt to judge the merits of a psych visit. There is a real chance the applicant may be asked, and some PDs that will consider it a suitability DQ and pride themselves on their win record on district court appeals over this issue. There are also many that will never ask; the issue will never come up; and the only issue of concern is adjudicated status or involuntary commitment.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It is interesting that the general NES reaction when the discussion of physicians asking if there are guns in the home is to either tell them to pound sand or lie and tell them no, but in this thread there doesn’t seem to be that concern by the mental health advocates. As Pipes said, the OP didn’t say he was going to off himself. You have to deal with your shit or it will deal with you, however after having been in therapy over the years and seeing what is going on in our State and elsewhere w red flag laws, I think a modicum of caution is warranted when bringing up certain subjects w the mental health professionals.

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Advice on the gun issue presented without a value judgement sticks to the facts, and does not attempt to judge the merits of a psych visit. There is a real chance the applicant may be asked, and some PDs that will consider it a suitability DQ and pride themselves on their win record on district court appeals over this issue. There are also many that will never ask; the issue will never come up; and the only issue of concern is adjudicated status or involuntary commitment.
Worst case scenario they ask and the answer is no. Big F'ing deal.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can understand all the don’t do it sentiment. But the real point is you think you need some help/advise. There are many avenues that work for everybody. Some just go figure it out them selves some need to talk to somebody. You do what you need to do that is going to help you. Don’t ask don’t tell is a good thought about this subject because everybody is so paranoid these days. You can try different therapists until you find one your comfortable with. You are the most important thing in your life. Take care of yourself first.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Put me in the third school of thought as someone who actually works in field and sees first hand the paranoia and overreaction surrounding any sort of weaponry. Many think just an interest is a warning sign.

I’d sooner walk into a DNC convention with a MAGA hat than be open about my 2A hobbies with a shrink.

Get some help if you need it. Just be smart about it...

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dench do you own any firearms?
No.
???
Somehow scenario becomes worse.
Someone who knows asks PD about the person; issue comes up; LTC revoked; no prayer of reinstatement.

LTC holder is involved in incident. Post-shooting intense investigation and extended background check used to prove shooter lied to get LTC; this is used against shooter in an otherwise fully defensible incident.

Machines

NES Member
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I've never been and I don't know what therapy is like from a gun owner's perspective, but everyone I know in real life who has seen a therapist saw it as a helpful experience. And someone I was very close to in the past was in a very dark place precisely because she had no one to talk to when she was younger. If a BIG TOUGH NES MEMBER gets the point he feels like he should see a therapist, Imma go out on a limb and say it'd be a good idea.

I will say, however, that all the therapists I've worked with (my line of work, not theirs) are both very dysfunctional in otheir own lives and quite liberal. I hear the former is pretty common, and I assume the latter is due to where I live.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Not even the Dems would go that far because it would discourage people in need of mental health help from getting it. No one wants that, on either side of the political spectrum.
Lol not sure if serious- but most of these people want to kill us. What would make you think they're benevolent? I haven't seen a politician do a SINGLE thing in this country that
would improve the state of mental health services for anyone. Especially not democraps. Most statist retards (and their retard voters) would welcome more profiling against citizens for
a variety of reasons so they can feel "safe and warmy".

I'm not into the tinfoiler BS in this thread (I think people should seek help, generally speaking) but if you don't think there's not an active agenda in play to f*** over gun owners, I have a nice bridge to sell you... what do you think ERPO is? Hint: ERPOs likely often originate off mental health problems....

-Mike

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Someone who knows asks PD about the person; issue comes up; LTC revoked; no prayer of reinstatement.

LTC holder is involved in incident. Post-shooting intense investigation and extended background check used to prove shooter lied to get LTC; this is used against shooter in an otherwise fully defensible incident.
[rofl]

Jason Flare

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Challenge: Cite the regulation that requires the disclosure of the content of therapy sessions to the state. Or any government at any level for that matter.. Go one, find it. I challenge you...

People here really are uninformed. Any medical professional that did that would be out of a license, out of a job, sued into abject poverty and tied up in so much litigation the children of their children will need lawyers. That's FEDERAL LAW and it's very strictly applied. If any therapist did that to you today you would own their house tomorrow. Their kids would be sweeping the driveway and washing your car. No joke. And they take that seriously. As well they should.

And by the way... the Doctors WANT IT THAT WAY just as much as the patients.
I’m gonna need a cite for all that bad stuff that happens.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've never been and I don't know what therapy is like from a gun owner's perspective, but everyone I know in real life who has seen a therapist saw it as a helpful experience. And someone I was very close to in the past was in a very dark place precisely because she had no one to talk to when she was younger. If a BIG TOUGH NES MEMBER gets the point he feels like he should see a therapist, Imma go out on a limb and say it'd be a good idea.

I will say, however, that all the therapists I've worked with (my line of work, not theirs) are both very dysfunctional in otheir own lives and quite liberal. I hear the former is pretty common, and I assume the latter is due to where I live.
Just find one that isn't a raging moonbat, it's not impossible. Or at least one that is professional enough that they can remain impartial.

Perhaps I should have been more concise, mental health problems of the requestor or the target..... [laugh]

-Mike

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Challenge: Cite the regulation that requires the disclosure of the content of therapy sessions to the state. Or any government at any level for that matter.. Go one, find it. I challenge you...

People here really are uninformed. Any medical professional that did that would be out of a license, out of a job, sued into abject poverty and tied up in so much litigation the children of their children will need lawyers. That's FEDERAL LAW and it's very strictly applied. If any therapist did that to you today you would own their house tomorrow. Their kids would be sweeping the driveway and washing your car. No joke. And they take that seriously. As well they should.

And by the way... the Doctors WANT IT THAT WAY just as much as the patients.
MA G.L. c 268 § 1A

That's 2 1/2 to 20, so you'll also be a Prohibited Person when you get out.

If you're asked, you can answer, you can lie or you can refuse to answer. Refusing to answer is the same as answering (and will result in your denial). Lying subjects you to possible perjury and obstruction charges.

Obviously, worst case scenario, but you asked.

Top Bottom