Seeing a therapist?

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
“If” we get to that point? Bro, we’re so far past that point you can’t even see it in the rear view mirror.
Not really. Despite having an anti gun president in office for the past ~14 years gun law in the US hasn't been as good as it is now since what, the 60's?

rommel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It wouldn’t be that difficult for an unfriendly legislature to re-write the rules to require them to report things and punish those who don’t. I don’t trust the mental health profession to fight for the rights of gun owners, in fact I think many of them will willingly throw us under the bus. I sure as shit wouldn’t implicitly trust the system to protect me nor would I put it past them to come up w laws that make anyone who’s been prescribed a certain class of drugs a prohibited person. I think the population of people unwilling to roll over is shrinking by the day.
I think it is important to make a distinction. Going to a therapist does not mean you have mental illness or personality disorders. What therapist do care about and have to take action about is whether you plan on hurting yourself or another person. The far far majority of people seeking help do so to help cope with life stressors. I believe there is a movement to stop labeling people with some type of illness or disorder because generally speaking if there were no struggles in life then the labelled illness or disorder does not exist. Therefore therapists have found they rarely treat disorders or illnesses, they treat people with stress.

It amazes me that people could be so paranoid of professional mental health therapy. I would and could argue that every single person in this world would benefit from mental health treatment. If schools stopped focusing on trying to get good results on state exams and taught kids really valuable life skills, like coping skills, identifying stressors, self evaluating internal emotions, effective communication, distinguishing between anger and hostility, and proper active responses instead of a reactive response then we not be in fear of losing our guns to begin with because there would be significantly less gun violence.
Somewhere in this forum we read on a daily basis that guns dont kill people. We defend guns by saying mentally messed up people kill people. I guess we can proceed in 2 directions from this point. Be irrationally fearful that the mental health community wants to take your guns away and keep up the stigma that therapy is bad, or have a rational belief that psycholgy is a legit science with massive benefits and that individuals and society would benefit greatly from it. That people can simultaneously see a therapist, own a gun and not be a threat to themselves or others.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get help. I've been there. You don't need to bring up anything about guns. Find a counselor that you can trust, and you'll be fine.
This.

The government hands out counseling like it's candy. If seeing someone for having marriage/depression issues was a cause for concern for the government, 1/2 it's workforce is the problem. I was a union steward for 8 years, been around for a lot longer than that. I've never heard of someone getting slammed if they were seeking help, and we carry guns as part of our job.

Believe me, there are bigger things for the government to worry about than anyone getting help dealing with issues. That makes you inherently not a problem. It's the one's not getting help that explode one day.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get the help you need bro. Your mental health issue is no different than the next guy's bad knees. People need to get over the stigma around it. And HIPPA is a thing... No Dr who wants to keep their license and not go to jail is going to go running to the state just because you have guns and are under their care... They would get tied up in so much litigation their grandchildren would need lawyers. If you're not threatening anyone... Hell, you can even admit to committing past crimes in therapy and they can't talk to the police about it. Only if you imply you are GOING to commit a crime can they taddle tale...

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
OP, one other thing you should consider is hitting the gym for therapy.
The endorphins work miracles on The Blues...
For sure. Anyone who needs help should always take real steps to make major diet changes along with as rigorous as possible exercise routines. It's very very hard to do, but the gains are there and very few who reach the goals regret it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This.

The government hands out counseling like it's candy. If seeing someone for having marriage/depression issues was a cause for concern for the government, 1/2 it's workforce is the problem. I was a union steward for 8 years, been around for a lot longer than that. I've never heard of someone getting slammed if they were seeking help, and we carry guns as part of our job.

Believe me, there are bigger things for the government to worry about than anyone getting help dealing with issues. That makes you inherently not a problem. It's the one's not getting help that explode one day.
I have heard of it and seen it. I guess it depends on the Department - or the component of that department (I’m pretty sure we’re both under the same umbrella). It SHOULD NOT be like that, but from what I have seen it absolutely interferes with the workplace. Most guys I know steer well clear of employee assistance programs and use referrals through the health insurance, and keep things discrete if they need time off duty for appointments.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For sure. Anyone who needs help should always take real steps to make major diet changes along with as rigorous as possible exercise routines. It's very very hard to do, but the gains are there and very few who reach the goals regret it.
As an unrepentant food junkie and lazy middle aged guy I’ll vouch for this. Eating better and working out helps a lot. I just wish I was better committed to it!

Cap'n Mike

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Avoid wack-a-doodle therapists. Some (not all) aren't stable themselves (I had a neighbor like that)
I read somewhere that the percentage of people who get into the mental health field to self diagnose is around 50%.
Some that I have met, I believe it.

Taipan01

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion, I wouldn't do it.

The medical profession has gleefully jumped into bed with .gov, imo. I can see them constantly adding new classifications of people who are prohibited from having guns and that'll be one of the first to come along. I know we're all on a hundred different lists already but that's one I don't want to be on. "The rules" are practically irrelevant here when it comes to guns, even aside from red flag bs.

If it's at all possible, hold it together and work through it on your own. That's the route I would take.
I would say the same as many others here are but there lies the rub. Those who truly need the help won't seek it out either for the same reasons and then we ask how somebody that does something heinous get in under the wire. Something of a paradox.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It amazes me that people could be so paranoid of professional mental health therapy. .....I would and could argue that every single person in this world would benefit from mental health treatment. If schools stopped focusing on trying to get good results on state exams and taught kids really valuable life skills, like coping skills, identifying stressors, self evaluating internal emotions, effective communication, distinguishing between anger and hostility, and proper active responses instead of a reactive response then we not be in fear of losing our guns to begin with because there would be significantly less gun violence.
Somewhere in this forum we read on a daily basis that guns dont kill people. We defend guns by saying mentally messed up people kill people. I guess we can proceed in 2 directions from this point. Be irrationally fearful that the mental health community wants to take your guns away and keep up the stigma that therapy is bad, or have a rational belief that psycholgy is a legit science with massive benefits and that individuals and society would benefit greatly from it. That people can simultaneously see a therapist, own a gun and not be a threat to themselves or others.
Did you miss the part where Beto O'Rourke publicly stated democrat policy to come and confiscate your guns....before they talked to him and asked him to keep the secret until next november???

Paranoid? Sometimes people REALLY ARE out to get you!

I would try some non threatening things first, if i were really getting depressed/stressed. Like hitting the gym every morning for 30 minutes min of aerobic exercise.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Actually, it would be. Getting such legislation passed would be hard As would defending it from SCOTUS.
I don’t think getting legislation like this passed in places like CA or NY is a stretch, although I do agree that it might not ultimately pass muster w/ SCOTUS.

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don’t think getting legislation like this passed in places like CA or NY is a stretch, although I do agree that it might not ultimately pass muster w/ SCOTUS.
The medical lobby (AMA, APA, etc) is very strong.

They don’t want anything to do with reporting to the .gov. They know what effect that would have on their patients.

NOBODY would tell them anything honestly anymore. It would cripple the profession.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think it is important to make a distinction. Going to a therapist does not mean you have mental illness or personality disorders. What therapist do care about and have to take action about is whether you plan on hurting yourself or another person. The far far majority of people seeking help do so to help cope with life stressors. I believe there is a movement to stop labeling people with some type of illness or disorder because generally speaking if there were no struggles in life then the labelled illness or disorder does not exist. Therefore therapists have found they rarely treat disorders or illnesses, they treat people with stress.

It amazes me that people could be so paranoid of professional mental health therapy. I would and could argue that every single person in this world would benefit from mental health treatment. If schools stopped focusing on trying to get good results on state exams and taught kids really valuable life skills, like coping skills, identifying stressors, self evaluating internal emotions, effective communication, distinguishing between anger and hostility, and proper active responses instead of a reactive response then we not be in fear of losing our guns to begin with because there would be significantly less gun violence.
I never said that going to a mental health professional means you have a mental illness, I have spent years in therapy and understand it’s benefits. I also understand how difficult it can be to find a good therapist and how frustrating and ineffective it can be until you find a good one. Most people who seek therapy do so through their medical insurance provider which means they have to find some classification on the DSM to justify billing for the sessions.

I don’t think that the mental health profession is out to git our gunz but I don’t think it’s a stretch for some unfriendly legislatures to come up with something tying the two together. I also don’t expect the mental health industry to fight very hard for the privacy rights of their gun owning patients if laws are passed mandating reporting. Simply going to therapy won’t make them come and get your guns but I do think that in today’s world, with red flag & gun control laws on the increase, that you have to be careful who you select as your provider and what you say to them about certain topics i.e. suicide or feelings hopelessness, anger or frustration towards others. Many, if not most people in therapy have probably had the suicide though go through their head at one time or another; vocalizing it in today’s world might not be the best thing to do. And there’s no getting around the fact that in this area therapists tend to be a bit on the liberal side, they’re human beings w the same biases/misconceptions as everyone else [including about gun ownership] and they’re going to err on the side of caution.

That doesn’t mean that seeking mental health treatment is bad, one just needs to be cautious these days. I do think that schools should stick to the three R’s, one can argue that their attempts at dealing with kids emotions hasn’t been very successful over the decades.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The medical lobby (AMA, APA, etc) is very strong.

They don’t want anything to do with reporting to the .gov. They know what effect that would have on their patients.

NOBODY would tell them anything honestly anymore. It would cripple the profession.
People here really need to look into HIPPA before dolling out advice... OP - you're protected under Federal law. Get the help you need and trust it will be done in confidentiality.
I sincerely hope you guys are right and I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. I’m just not feeling it right now. I’m also not a HIPPA or red flag law expert but there does seem to be some incongruity between the two based on my superficial knowledge of both. Dems definitely seem to be on the path requiring mandatory reporting from mental health professionals (whether or not that will hold up at SCOTUS is another story).

fshalor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Over the last few months I have had some anxiety issues, possibly a small amount of depression and some other issues with my marriage. I was interested in talking to a Therapist to work some of these issues out. What are the rules or laws regarding this when having a firearms license.
Thanks
Are you in Mass?

If so. Do not do it. Seek help from a "life coach".

Reason: due to recent changes, every medical license in MA who practices in this field must register with Mass Health in order to maintain their license.

Along with that registration, they have to provide records. Records which you probably do not want the state to have.

Don't do it.

If you do, send all of your guns to the bottom of the lake first, turn in your LTC and stop talking online about anything.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sincerely hope you guys are right and I’ll be happy to be proven wrong. I’m just not feeling it right now. I’m also not a HIPPA or red flag law expert but there does seem to be some incongruity between the two based on my superficial knowledge of both. Dems definitely seem to be on the path requiring mandatory reporting from mental health professionals (whether or not that will hold up at SCOTUS is another story).
Not even the Dems would go that far because it would discourage people in need of mental health help from getting it. No one wants that, on either side of the political spectrum. Unless you say something in therapy like "I'm GOING to do XYZ and harm ABC person"... then your therapist is bound by law to keep what is said in therapy in strict confidence. It can't even be subpoenaed by the courts.

Think of it like this.... What you say in therapy has the same legal protections as the private conversations between you and your lawyer. It's completely off limits to anyone other than who YOU choose to share it with.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you in Mass?

Reason: due to recent changes, every medical license in MA who practices in this field must register with Mass Health in order to maintain their license.

Along with that registration, they have to provide records. Records which you probably do not want the state to have.

Don't do it.

If you do, send all of your guns to the bottom of the lake first, turn in your LTC and stop talking online about anything.

Challenge: Cite the regulation that requires the disclosure of the content of therapy sessions to the state. Or any government at any level for that matter.. Go one, find it. I challenge you...

People here really are uninformed. Any medical professional that did that would be out of a license, out of a job, sued into abject poverty and tied up in so much litigation the children of their children will need lawyers. That's FEDERAL LAW and it's very strictly applied. If any therapist did that to you today you would own their house tomorrow. Their kids would be sweeping the driveway and washing your car. No joke. And they take that seriously. As well they should.

And by the way... the Doctors WANT IT THAT WAY just as much as the patients.

Last edited:

M1911

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Are you in Mass?

This is complete and utter nonsense.

First, physicians practicing in MA have had to be licensed by the state for a very long time. That is nothing new.

Second, there is no law or regulation requiring physicians to provide medical records to the state. In fact, federal law (HIPAA) strictly forbids them from doing so.

There are a few situations where physicians must contact authorities about a patient 1) if they believe the patient is in danger of harming themselves or others, and 2) if the patient has been diagnosed with certain infectious diseases. Your garden variety anxiety or depression does not meet those criteria.

Goodness gracious! Where do people come up with this silliness?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is complete and utter nonsense.

First, physicians practicing in MA have had to be licensed by the state for a very long time. That is nothing new.

Second, there is no law or regulation requiring physicians to provide medical records to the state. In fact, federal law (HIPAA) strictly forbids them from doing so.

There are a few situations where physicians must contact authorities about a patient 1) if they believe the patient is in danger of harming themselves or others, and 2) if the patient has been diagnosed with certain infectious diseases. Your garden variety anxiety or depression does not meet those criteria.

Goodness gracious! Where do people come up with this silliness?
Easy there hoss, this is the interwebs, the tubes that information flows through. No need to bring facts to the table.

For the same reason people think Trump conspired with the Rooskies to win the election, hell you can't even look up actual facts about Trump any more, it's all clickbait.

W.E.C

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Easy there hoss, this is the interwebs, the tubes that information flows through. No need to bring facts to the table.

For the same reason people think Trump conspired with the Rooskies to win the election, hell you can't even look up actual facts about Trump any more, it's all clickbait.
The range of counciling goes from excellent to wtf, like the referee says, protect yourself at all times.
Nurse ratchet is not all fiction.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
HIPAA is a joke. It's the healthcare equivalent of TSA, but less effective.

Providers, practices and hospitals routinely share information between themselves, insurers and the state. You can say they don't, but they do. What is DONE with that information could be debated, but the fact of the matter is, some information is shared.

BTW, NES. Congratulations. We've most likely scared off the OP with this discussion. Hopefully he ignores most of us and gets appropriate assistance.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of it and seen it. I guess it depends on the Department - or the component of that department (I’m pretty sure we’re both under the same umbrella). It SHOULD NOT be like that, but from what I have seen it absolutely interferes with the workplace. Most guys I know steer well clear of employee assistance programs and use referrals through the health insurance, and keep things discrete if they need time off duty for appointments.
I'd like to know the specifics, no offense. Like others have said, unless you are so far off the rails the therapists think you are a direct danger to someone (including yourself), they simply can't just go blabbing to authorities.

I've had a peer support guy tell me I'd be surprised how many people are using EAP. If they were tagging everyone with some kind of issue, the government would be quite a bit smaller. I didn't realize it until we were working together for an extended time period and the amount of time he was '10-6' was astounding.

I WILL say, I know of one incident that made the news, so it's public information. The guy's life was off the rails: PTSD from a legitimate issue, juvenile daughter was skidding, couple other things I'm sure I don't know about. He was seeking help, but got caught pissing hot. Yeah, he was let go. Even so, what he did to get the PTSD (put his own life in direct danger to try and save someone but was unsuccessful and had to drag a dead 3 year old out of a collapsed building) was enough for me to be willing to fight for his job as a union rep. He decided not to fight it and just left.

boilermaker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Are you in Mass?

Don't do it.

WTF is this?! People who deem themselves "Life Coaches" have little to no training in mental health. Why would you refer to anyone to a Life Coach?

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
OP can do what he wants and Im in no position to advise him or anyone else. I just stated my thoughts. IMO, drs in general tend to lean to the liberal side of politics to put it mildly. Theyre already asking questions about gun ownership during routine visits. Red flag laws are spreading like wildfire. First its police and family members. Then its coworkers, soon itll be anyone can initiate one. Really how long is it until someone whos depressed or has anxiety and is known to own guns gets jacked up by his Harvard educated therapist, Hippa or no Hippa? If it saves just one life right?

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Not even the Dems would go that far because it would discourage people in need of mental health help from getting it. No one wants that, on either side of the political spectrum.
Three years ago I'd have agreed with you re not even Dems going that far. Not saying we're there yet but at this point nothing would surprise me. I don't believe therapists will be required to provide medical records to the State (it will be long after Go Time if that happens). However, with the current red flag laws and with where many prominent Dem seem inclined to go with them, nothing would surprise me. It also wouldn't surprise me if some day they make a certain class of meds grounds for disqualification, just like a certain plant substance today is despite being legal at the State level. That doesn't mean that many here don't enjoy their weed, but we all understand it's not a good idea to have a MMJ Card and be a gun owner even though no one has matched up the databases to date.

As I said, I will be happy to remain wrong on this forever. I would be cautious about how quickly I'd bring certain things up re gun ownership. I know a few therapists personally and have seen a few professionally. The ones I know personally are the most ardent lib anti nuts who will confront someone in the street for wearing a MAGA hat, as much as I'd like to I wouldn't trust the system to protect me. What happens when its your word vs theirs that you didn't say "I'm going to go home and shoot myself"?

Dench

NES Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
OP can do what he wants and Im in no position to advise him or anyone else. I just stated my thoughts. IMO, drs in general tend to lean to the liberal side of politics to put it mildly. Theyre already asking questions about gun ownership during routine visits. Red flag laws are spreading like wildfire. First its police and family members. Then its coworkers, soon itll be anyone can initiate one. Really how long is it until someone whos depressed or has anxiety and is known to own guns gets jacked up by his Harvard educated therapist, Hippa or no Hippa? If it saves just one life right?
It's fundamentally bad advice. It's probably dangerous also. You're welcome to give your thoughts. But if your opinion can put a person who needs help in danger you should expect negative feedback.

Top Bottom