• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

See? Gun owners are paranoid white guys.

Yeah, I wasn't joking. I went through that. I don't think I was racist before I went through the academy, but I sure as hell came out that way. I'm a very self aware guy and I watched it happen like it was happening to someone else. "Everyone everywhere is trying to kill you, but THESE people are trying harder than everyone else."

I have a young friend from my Martial Arts school in the NY State Police Academy now - he’s a Boy Scout if I ever knew one (like me). Our Grandmaster has talked to him about how hard it’s going to be to do the job without compromising his values, if not finding his beliefs and values changing. We have a few retired/former NYSP and city LEOs on the instructor staff working with him. Fingers crossed.

I was helping my eldest move out of MHT earlier this week and insisted one of us three watch the pod at all times if the door wasn’t closed & locked. They were bringing boxes down the 2nd floor outdoor fire escape steps and I was ferrying them across the lot to the pod. As I watched hidden behind a truck, a kid coming home from school cut through the lot, looked in every car window while pulling on the door handle, then took a step into the pod as I was walking over. I shouted at him and he dashed out, stopping to give me the finger before walking slowly and defiantly away.

I tell myself it could have been a white kid, a Hispanic kid, an Asian kid - but it was a kid in that 1.6% demographic of the NH population that time. I just can’t feel that my implicit White Fragility and White Supremacy are the cause.

Friend of mine works for the county jail here in bourbon, a Hispanic guy. He said he was never racist until his second day on the job. I can't even tell that story here it's so awful.

I think it’s a Jewish guy. Never understood how any Jew could remotely consider one whiff of gun control after seeing what Hitler did to 7 million of them during WW2.
Whenever I've slept in any rest area, I've always had a handgun or pistol gripped 18" barreled 12ga. readily at hand......and I never cared one whit about the state I was in or their laws.
Based

Yeah, I wasn't joking. I went through that. I don't think I was racist before I went through the academy, but I sure as hell came out that way. I'm a very self aware guy and I watched it happen like it was happening to someone else. "Everyone everywhere is trying to kill you, but THESE people are trying harder than everyone else."
Here’s the problem.

Not all members of a class fit the stereotype. It’s grossly unfair to judge everyone.

Be careful, but treat everyone with respect and judge each person on their own merits.

Back
Top Bottom