• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Security Six?

finally got my license and was looking to make my first purchase in the next week or two. I have it narrowed it down to 4" revolver at the suggestion of a NES'r (jrosier i think) and the security six is definitely a forerunner as far as price/availablity goes. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on them from everyone that has or had one. the main purpose will be for plinking and gaining familiarity with shooting, technique etc. thanks in advance

Another suggestion in 4" .38Sp is the S&W 64 (no sights) which can be had used in the $250-300 range. I think (not certain) that the S&W 66 is the same gun with adjustable sights.

The first gun I ever bought was a 6" barreled Security Six. Still have it. Don't think I'll ever part with it.

I love it. It's been utterly reliable, very accurate, and just an all-around great gun. They're typically a little less expensive than a comparable Smith & Wesson (IIRC, Gun and Sport North has three or four Security Sixes for $225 - $275). You really can't go wrong.

I have a 2 3/4" blued Security Six, and it's a fine revolver - well worth the $90 I paid for it 20 years ago. One nice thing about this gun (common to Ruger double actions) is that removal of the action is something the user can do (yo.u can do this with a S&W, but you have to have the exact correct screwdriver and know a couple of tricks to avoid marring the sideplate or cylinder). The Security Six has been out of production for years, and Ruger no longer carries many of the parts for that gun.

I purchased a ruger security six in 357mag w/2 3/4" barrel stainless back in 1976 and i still have it today. Its been a great quality gun. I recently picked up a security six w/6" barrel in 357mag too blued. I found it in excellent condition for $199. You don't see that many used security six's or the S&W large frame 357mag's either and the ones who have them seem to hoard them. I always look for another one thats cheap too for the price they can't be beat.

We carried Police Service Sixes .357 in SS before we switched to the S&W semis. They were a great gun, very durable. I wouldn't mind having one to play with.

The S&W model 19 or 66 is smaller that the workhorse "L" frame smith (586 and 686). If you want a steady diet of full power 357 loads, stick to the security six or L frame class S&Ws. If you'll shoot mostly 38 and a bit of 357, the Model 19 or model 66 S&W is fine.

If you get an older 586/686, check to make sure that it is either a newer model (the change was nade about 20 years ago), or has the recall work done (replacement firing pin bushing). S&W service can tell you if you need the work based on the model/serial number. If there is a letter "M" stamped inside the yolk, it indicates the free upgrade has been performed.

I've owned 2 security six revolvers in .357 mag and still have one of them. I even carried it as a duty gun before the transition to auto-loders. It's a fine revolver.

Back
Top Bottom